Options

Unexpected tow vehicle

2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
On a great 2,000 mile adventure.  T@b working wonderfully... Tow vehicle not so much.  
2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Uh oh.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    uh oh is right! What happened?
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Broken piston!  Car 21 days beyond warranty.  They put the car up on the tow truck, and hitched the T@b on the back.  I looked at her and said, "Hold on tight sweetie!"

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    So, we need the rest of the story please. Did the car get a new rod and continue on? 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
     Tidbit for back of your mind... If you have to rent a vehicle to tow, legally Uhaul is your choice...
    We looked pretty funny pulling into the next camp site!  One person remarked it was because we needed a second bedroom  ;)

• Options
    Saga continues... In process of buying new TV in the middle of our trip! :o

• Options
    Oh my gosh! Will the fun never end?! Very nice graphics btw.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    OMGosh!!! 21 days out of warranty? I thought *I* (and @ericnliz) was the only one with that kinda luck. I'm glad you found other tow vehicles. Ugh. I'm glad your sweetie hung on tight! What a trip. The stories that you will tell! 

I am very sorry you are having to get a new TV so suddenly. It sounds like you are making the best of things. Hang in there!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    OH NO!!!! And, OUCH! Not quite what was in your travels plans, I know. I'm glad you were somewhere you could get help and are safe. Funny about the UHaul, although my neighbor rented a Uhaul truck a few times to tow her rig until she bought a bigger TV. @Ratkity, we do all congregate at @ericnliz 's house. Hmmm....

Take good care you two!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    @Homebodyatheart - be careful!  I didn't know that kind of luck was contageous!
     @Ratkity, why didn't you warn us!

• Options
    @2Cougs, I hope not! I'm going to Hunters this weekend with a group from church. Cell coverage isn't always the best there. They are excited I am bringing the little red campfire as there's a burn ban on right now. :-) It will be dry camping but there is a dump station on premises. I am overdue for a trip! I see winter camping in the Bug house in my future!  =)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. Might not matter now but you can also rent from enterprise truck if you want to tow your T@b. 

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Wow, sorry about your luck.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    2Cougs said:
    @Homebodyatheart - be careful!  I didn't know that kind of luck was contageous!
     @Ratkity, why didn't you warn us!
    Well, like Wednesday Addams says, "We're not shy, we're contagious". hehehehe.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    @Ratkity or to quote another..."Run, Forrest! Run!
  • Options
    SGH0004SGH0004 Member Posts: 62
    That's the best way to make lemonade from lemons that I have seen in a while.  I knew a guy that hit a moose.  He rented a uhaul & uhaul trailer to bring it home.  Finished his trip on schedule & as planned.  Just did it in a uhaul instead of a Thunderbird with the top down.  You would think that Volvo would have some sort of mercy.  Good luck with the search for a new tow vehicle & keep us posted.   
  • Options
    No sense in letting car issues ruin a great vacation!  B)

• Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    There was an earlier thread from someone wanting to tow with his Volvo. Your experience seems to provide the ultimate practical answer. Happy your vacation continues with good attitude and all are safe. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Roamey said:
    There was an earlier thread from someone wanting to tow with his Volvo. Your experience seems to provide the ultimate practical answer. 
    I'm not so sure you can put too much weight behind a single vehicle failure.  Any vehicle you consider will have at least one major failure in the thousands of units sold. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    They are saying that towing had nothing to do with it... Car would have had the issue even if we had been driving without the T@b.

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @2Cougs, We have to applaud you on your perseverance, and fortitude. :bow: Glad to hear you, and your T@B are still in good shape, and not letting a lousy situation ruin your vacation!!! I've been in similar situations myself with tow vehicles, and found no matter how bad it seems at the time, all you can do is make the best of it and move on. Take the lemons, choose the flavor you want the lemonade to be, and move on. Kinda surprised that Volvo isn't stepping up to the plate more, especially with your vehicle being THAT close to being over the warranty. You're absolutely right about the fact that towing probably had nothing to do with the failure. Will your insurance help with the situation at all? Keep up the good spirits, be safe, and enjoy the rest of your trip. Keep us posted on what you decide to do with a tow vehicle. (Of course the U Haul gives 'ya a lot more storage though! =))
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Déjà vu, just replace the T@B with a Silver Shadow teardrop and the TV with a Honda CR-V.  Our driver dropped us and the T@B at a KOA, 2 nights until parts arrived, and the trailer at the shop.  Glad it worked out for you.

Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    @SweetlyHome- Would have LOVED if they could have dropped us off at a campground.  They dropped us off down the street from the car repair place... I promptly put the bed down, set up the table, and we sat inside and played cards.  I was NOT leaving it on the street corner in a very sketchy part of town.  When closing time came, and the car was far from fixed, they pulled the T@b into their locked/fenced yard and we went to a hotel.  

Good thing we didn't wait around for the car to get fixed... Here we are a week later and it still isn't done.  Bought a new TV yesterday, having the "broken" Volvo transported to the nearest (200 miles away) authorized Volvo repair (in case they have mercy and help pay for this), and selling it.  Couldn't figure out any other way to do it without staying down here two or three weeks :s

• Options
    @2Cougs I can't help myself-what's your new TV?

• Options
    Patience... ;) Will post a pic when we get her hooked up.  Hubby gone to get appropriate drop hitch, and we take off in the AM to  finish our journey.

• Options
    Joy! I hear Willie singing "On the Road Again" in my head. A photo is the best!

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    @2Cougs, were much luckier in that our repair could be done quickly.  Share your frustration on the repair and your stress on the neighborhood issue.  Hope Volvo has the customer support in mind that Nucamp seems to.  Enjoy your new TV, looking forward to those photos.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Another Volvo? :i_dunno::smiley:
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Yes sir! "On the road again" is an excellent choice. @2Cougs, REALLY glad to hear you're getting things worked out & back on track!! Happy voyage from here on out!!!! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Congrats! i just knew you wouldn't let much grass grow underfoot if you could help it! You've got a schedule, after all!  :)