Options

Hiding Cash for emergencies

2»

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    tsimpson said:
    cash what is that??? when we travel we use our Debit Card or a Master Card for everything, we get a better exchange rate when crossing the border, and for the very few time we hit a place that wanted cash they usually were able to tell us where the nearest ATM was, at the very most we only travel with about $20.00 cash each
    I’ve stayed at a lovely Forest Service campground that was cash only because they didn’t even have a landline, much less cell service. They wouldn’t take an out-of-state check. The closest place to get cash was ~30 miles back down the road. I ended up counting out $40 of laundry quarters. 

It’s always good to have some cash, some of it in small bills. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yep we've had a number of cash-only self-pay campgrounds. 

@Marceline, all those quarters in that tiny envelope would have been a trick, even with the ½-price Senior Pass rate! At a number of the campgrounds the envelopes glue was completely gone!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Most of the rustic BLM and USFS sites in Western USA are a steel cash box only for payment. So some cash is good, smaller bills too for those $8-10 nights....
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    Yep we've had a number of cash-only self-pay campgrounds. 

@Marceline, all those quarters in that tiny envelope would have been a trick, even with the ½-price Senior Pass rate! At a number of the campgrounds the envelopes glue was completely gone!
    Luckily there were camphosts-they just had no way to run cards. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    My take on this is don't carry a lot of cash. Put some in an obvious drawer in case someone come looking. Hide the real stuff in one of the many corners..problem with a standard lockbox is it's easy to go on line and see where it is then they start smashing chunks of of the trailer trying to get it out.
    For the opportunist give them some easy money so they will get out. Put a loud movement activated arm inside if you can. Keep spare cash in your TV but only enough for emergencies. Don't let anyone see where you get it e.g 'wait I'll just get cash for that" while you disappear into your tab and come out with cash. Just be sensible. If someone really want to get something out of your tab they will.
    Most thieves are opportunist, break in get quick stuff and get out.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I actually lost my debit card in Colorado one year. Not fun. 

I use a mix of both but keep it somewhat light on cash.

One tip to avoid credit card skimmers is to get some gas gift cards, especially if you can anticipate the brands you might ha e access to along the way.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @jkjenn   Jenn, I think the gas cards is a good idea.  If someone has frequent flyer miles that they can't use, often they can be converted to these kinds of gift cards.  Even a refillable debit card with small amounts loaded onto it will limit your loss and have the benefit of convenience.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Considering financial preparation for a lengthy trip out west, we are challenged by the risk of credit card fraud vs exposure to COVID!  Replacing a credit card during long-term travel would be a hassle.  We considered debit/gift cards for gas purchases, but I have read that they often require payment at the window.  We decided to use a couple of credit cards that we don't routinely use - that way, we can avoid the face to face payment required by a debit card and if they get hacked, we go to plan B - cash.  We have a secondary checking account that we can limit the amount of cash that is exposed in the account.  Any other thoughts?
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Considering financial preparation for a lengthy trip out west, we are challenged by the risk of credit card fraud vs exposure to COVID!  Replacing a credit card during long-term travel would be a hassle.  We considered debit/gift cards for gas purchases, but I have read that they often require payment at the window.  We decided to use a couple of credit cards that we don't routinely use - that way, we can avoid the face to face payment required by a debit card and if they get hacked, we go to plan B - cash.  We have a secondary checking account that we can limit the amount of cash that is exposed in the account.  Any other thoughts?
    Visa gift cards? They’re available at many grocery stores in the gift cards section.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    VictoriaP said:
    Visa gift cards? They’re available at many grocery stores in the gift cards section.
    Some of those type of gift cards have hefty fees attached to them.  read the fine print.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    I believe that I read that you need to use these cards in person - like a debit card.  We were trying to reduce contact.
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Hubby and I travel with a couple of credit cards and some cash..like @Marceline said not every place you stay takes credit cards..rarely do we use debit cards in the U.S...although we finally have a U.S. credit card...no more double dipping with the exchange rates..we also like the idea of tracking our money spent on trips...easier with a credit card for us...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    We decided to use a couple of credit cards that we don't routinely use - that way, we can avoid the face to face payment required by a debit card and if they get hacked, we go to plan B - cash.  We have a secondary checking account that we can limit the amount of cash that is exposed in the account.  Any other thoughts?
    I don’t understand the bolded comment. If you’re using credit cards, how is the cash in a checking account exposed to fraud? Unless you mean a debit card. I would not use a debit card linked to a bank account under any circumstances. 

I’ve been using Apple Pay a lot more these days because it’s a no-contact payment method. Contactless credit cards are also useful. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    @Marceline, if our credit card(s) gets hacked while a long way from home, then we use cash via ATM.  ATM machines are sources of hacking via skimming.  Instead of exposing our routine checking account, we use a “travel” account with limited funds. That way, in case of a hack, we don’t lose a lot.  We don’t use debit cards.  I have been considering Apple Pay.  I think the credit card number is never exposed.  The only downside is that it is not yet universal.  
  • Options
    @Marceline, if our credit card(s) gets hacked while a long way from home, then we use cash via ATM.  ATM machines are sources of hacking via skimming.  Instead of exposing our routine checking account, we use a “travel” account with limited funds. That way, in case of a hack, we don’t lose a lot.  We don’t use debit cards.  I have been considering Apple Pay.  I think the credit card number is never exposed.  The only downside is that it is not yet universal.  
    Ah. I get it now. 
    I think that at this point you can use Apple Pay and most big chains (grocery stores, fast food, etc) but it's hit and miss at smaller retail outlets. 

https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/where-to-use/
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 418
    And Google Pay for Android phones. 
    https://pay.google.com/about/
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    First of all, we can all agree, we will never stop a determined thief, so all we can do is hope to outsmart the dumb and lazy ones.

I recently found these pacsafe bags that look like they would be easy to stash in awkward places in your TV and then lock with a reasonably decent cable.

https://pacsafe.com/collections/other/products/travelsafe-5l-gii-anti-theft-portable-safe

They come in a variety of sizes that can hold everything from wallets and phones all the way up to a large one that could hold laptops and cameras. I plan on getting one and storing it under my folded down back seat and locked to the driver's seat. It will be out of site and will be really difficult to retrieve with a broken window smash-and-grab theft.