Options

Tie Down Weights for Side Tent Screen Room?

T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
edited August 2017 in Tips & Tricks
We really enjoy using the attached tent when camping with our T@B.   Sometimes, you can't stake the corners or guy lines because of an asphalt pad that is part of the camp site.   What do you use then?  I'd rather not carry around extra weight when not always needed.   Is there a product that can be filled with sand, water or whatever when pressed into use?
2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    Z_GZ_G Member Posts: 38
    Amazon has sandbags which are meant to weigh down an ezup... seems to me ezup weights might do the trick
  • Options
    campergirlcampergirl Member Posts: 9
    We  use 12x12 pavers and bungee cords.  if there is an asphalt pad,the pavers weigh down the corners, if there is a gravel/dirt pad, we use the pavers under the front and rear stabilizer legs. there is always a purpose for the pavers, so it justifies the extra weight.
    2008 T@B TL, white with yellow trim towed by a grey 2010 Ford F150 supercab.
    David & Chris
    Baton Rouge, LA

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Hmmm. I like the idea of water-filled weights. Less weight and bulk to pack on the road. A rubber coated bag, that sticks to the asphalt or something? Plastic jugs slide around too much for any wind resistance reliability.

I was able to screw in my TimberLok based anchors on an asphalt pad once, just slightly outside the perimeter of the pad, but it took some precision positioning of the Tab.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    Chan, what about those collapsible water containers?  If they are inside the tent in the corners, that should work.  Maybe a piece of yoga mat between the pad and the container to secure guy lines.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

@ChanW, this summer I just filled two 4-gallon Reliance water jugs with water to hold the visor down. It worked in a 30 mph wind gust with no movement. 

Of course, Sunny Day just expected shade, as though her highness decreed it ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,511
    Verna said:

@ChanW, this summer I just filled two 4-gallon Reliance water jugs with water to hold the visor down. It worked in a 30 mph wind gust with no movement. 

Of course, Sunny Day just expected shade, as though her highness decreed it ;)
    That's a great idea. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Heh! I saw the pic first, and thought you used Sunny Day for the anchor...

4 gallons would be better than the one gallon jugs I was imagining!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
    For our stand-alone canopy, we use the screw in lag bolts as mentioned on another thread, when we can.  Otherwise, I take 4 five gallon buckets and use them filled with water at approx. 40 pounds each with nylon tie straps with the spring type adjusters on them for quick and easy adjusting - only approx. $10-12 at Harbor Freight - use the red ones for easy visibility.  Then empty the buckets in the grass or around the trees and stack them in the back of the truck for transport - that way they don't take up much room.
    John & Cheryl
    2007 T@B ClamShell by Dutchman "Goli@th"
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    ChanW said:
    Heh! I saw the pic first, and thought you used Sunny Day for the anchor...
    Funny, that was might first thought, too. Might work--Sunny Day doesn't look like she has any plans to move.  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    There are plenty of 5 gallon collapsible water containers available for easy storage. Search and you will find!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I have yet to have been at a campground where I couldn't use extra length of tie cord or a bungie cord to get past the concrete and get a stake in the ground for my visor or awning. When I bring my big screen room, I have EZ-Up weights for any legs on concrete, but usually have at least 2 legs off the concrete. I also have guy lines attached to top of the EZ-Up awning and have enough cord to get away from the concrete.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    There are some state parks in MD and VA that don't allow for cords wrapped around trees unless you have a padded strap. Apparently, they are losing a lot of trees and the emerald ash borer isn't helping with the dead tree thing. Goes for hanging up hammocks too.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)