Options

Alde fan for convector fins

I am considering installing a fan under or as near under the Alde convector fins as possible to get max heating out of the convection heating system.  Has anyone ever thought of doing this.  I spoke with someone at Alde and he said it sounds like i need some time of addition of a fan to move the air from behind the seat more efficiently.  here is what the Alde pdf from parts at Alde has: Fan package for convectors
The fan package is mounted under a convector where
extra heat and increased airflow are need.
For maximum heating power, the fan package should be
mounted on a tightly packed convector. Two fan speeds. size about 6x4x3. ties into 12v line somewhere. and you buy a switch to turn it on or off. 
Art.No. 1900 660

Any ideas regarding this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @gbell, I'm pretty sure that the T@B MOD MASTER @Dalehelman did something along those lines to circulate heat more efficiently. Dale....comments? :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    gbell said:
    I am considering installing a fan under or as near under the Alde convector fins as possible to get max heating out of the convection heating system.  Has anyone ever thought of doing this.  I spoke with someone at Alde and he said it sounds like i need some time of addition of a fan to move the air from behind the seat more efficiently.  here is what the Alde pdf from parts at Alde has: Fan package for convectors
    The fan package is mounted under a convector where
    extra heat and increased airflow are need.
    For maximum heating power, the fan package should be
    mounted on a tightly packed convector. Two fan speeds. size about 6x4x3. ties into 12v line somewhere. and you buy a switch to turn it on or off. 
    Art.No. 1900 660

Any ideas regarding this would be appreciated.
    I'm guessing it is this document you are looking at? With  Fan package for convectors information. http://www.alde.co.uk/downloads/alde_cat_23.pdf
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    I checked out the fins and there isn't any place to put this under the fins as the fins rest on the very back floor.  Back to finding some other kind of fan to blow air back there. What about a computer fan like they used for the norcold adaption?
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    gbell said:
    I checked out the fins and there isn't any place to put this under the fins as the fins rest on the very back floor.  Back to finding some other kind of fan to blow air back there. What about a computer fan like they used for the norcold adaption?
    That's all the Fan package for convectors is, just computer fans in a fancy mount that's designed to bolt on to their system.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    This may be off-topic, but many of us have put vents on the rear shelf to allow more heat to escape that rear cabinet area.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    ericnliz said:
    @gbell, I'm pretty sure that the T@B MOD MASTER @Dalehelman did something along those lines to circulate heat more efficiently. Dale....comments? :)
    Nope not me. The convection is working very well and I like the fact that it is silent. Fans will also increase battery drain. I did add a fan to force heated air into the underbelly to warm belly tanks.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I ran a usb fan that had a long cord to the Alde 110V outlet for when I was on shore power. I held it on with 3M Command clips that hold wires lol. It worked. Don't have a picture. Only caveat is that I had to lift up the seat to turn it off and on when using the heat.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    that is what I am thinking I"ll have to do at least when on shore power,  there is the plug under the seat next to the Alde that has an extra plug.   But I'd like to have something that will work with 12v, something with low drain. I'll have to keep looking.
  • Options
    john727john727 Member Posts: 4
    I'm new to the forum and this is an old thread but I picked up a 2018 T@B Outback in Houston about a month ago and spent three weeks bringing it back to my home in NV (I'll put a report on the forum shortly). I just received the 1900660 from Alde a few days ago and I am in the process of installing it. The heating was superb on the trip back and got me through a number of nights down in the teens quite comfortably. The only reason I am interested in it is a little faster warm up time after a long day on the road and a cold soaked shell. I am hoping that with a little greater air flow it will warm up a bit quicker. The fans are protected by a 500 mili-amp fuse so battery drain should be minimal. The fins are mounted very close to the floor but quite easy to move up a few inches. Alde says that there needs to be a minimum of .7 inches between the floor and the fans so yesterday I moved the heat exchanger and left the heat on for the night. I am think that it was about a degree or so more efficient in the new position without any other changes. 

I am using a three position switch (on/off/on) so that I can use both speeds on the fan unit. There are lots of 12v power sources scattered all over the interior and the I have already put the wiring in place so I should get it installed today. It will take a while to figure out if it is really helpful but I will let you know.

2018 T@B Outback
    Chevrolet Colorado ZR2
    Duramax Diesel

Nevada
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2018
    Sounds interesting... The one deficiency I've found with the Tab's convection system is when the table is down. The heat doesn't come out from under the bed very well.

We'll often leave the table down for the duration of the trip, and eat, or play dominoes, 'in bed'.

A fan to promote circulation out of that area, into the general living area above, would be helpful in our case.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    One of the benefits of keeping my home thermostat set to 62 degrees all winter and having radiator heat at home is that I do not miss the hot, blowing air like most of you all do. My skins appreciates it, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We have radiant floors, but we sure don't keep our thermostats at 62°! We like our floors toasty! :D
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ChanW said:
    We have radiant floors, but we sure don't keep our thermostats at 62°! We like our floors toasty! :D
    I actually have the big old radiators. Rock's favorite perch is on one in the living room.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I don't have Verna's artistic qualities to make pretty holes in wood, but we did something similar.  I unscrewed the shelf behind the bed, and put velcro along the 3 supports that the screws were in.  I then took a piece of round thick cardboard tubing that came in some amazon package and wrapped it in velcro to make a spacer.  Now if we want more heat out of the rear Alde fins, we just pull up the front edge of the shelf and put the cardboard spacer on the velcro.  The shelf is heavy and with the velcro hasn't moved a bit on some rough washboarded roads.  We've camped at ski areas in low teens and this has been more than enough to heat the cabin quickly.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra