Options

RV Lock Keyless for RV's is great! (Currently for T@B S Max and T@B 320 {pre 2020} only)

Comments

• Options
    Niki_PurNiki_Pur Member Posts: 14
    Thanks @rcuomo.  Makes sense as you and @jkjenn have both made me more aware of the impact of climatic changes.
    2016 T@B Max-s Outback aka T@B C@b@n@;
    TV 2015 Toyota Highlander Limited aka Umatree

Niki
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Hmmmm... It's been close to 100* here lately, and down to -19* in the winter. I haven't experienced any difficulties with the door as far as expanding/contracting. Seems to open & close fine until the screws loosen up. Just sharing my own personal experiences. Others may experience a different scenario all together. I've been told a time or two I might have a screw loose though....just sayin'.  :o:s:fearful::rofl:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    juliejulie Member Posts: 1
    i bought and installed last month everything was fine untill i used a while. Now the whole piece moves side to side as though it does not fit securely in the door has anyone else had this issue or have an idea why this has happened it had originally been a perfect fir nice and snug when i installed  last month thanks
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    @ericnliz that's because you still have the original door lock and handle set.The operation is just enough different that you notice it.   ;)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    The door is made of foam.  The lock is held in place by the two screws on the outside of the door frame above and below the striker and the four or five screws that cinch the two lock sections (inside and outside) against the foam door.  There is no aluminum frame around the lock mechanism.  Therefore, the lock will loosen up with even normal use.  The two screws on the frame need to be tightened periodically to keep the mechanism from moving.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Verna said:
    I miss mine!  As soon as I get on the road, I’ll start calling RVLock to get one in the works for the 400.
    I’m sorry Verna.  I feel so guilty about buying it from you........
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @TerryV6, I don’t feel guilty about selling it to you!  Congrats—I can’t believe how brightly your eyes lit up when you saw it!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    Does anyone know of a sturdier RV lock that can be easily installed into a T@B 400?  I have a 2019  T@B 400 that I just got last week, and the plastic door lock seems a bit flimsy when pulling on the door handle.

I purchased an RVLock 4.0 for right-hand doors, but that lock doesn't actually fit into the hole for the factory lock -- the taper of the RVLock 4.0 is actually opposite of the factory lock.  I talked with RVLock support about it and sent them photos, and they said they don't sell one that works with our door.

Any recommendations for door locks that definitely fit the T@B 400?
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • Options
    @Jilong, there is no other lock that will fit this speciality door.  Personally, I think the lock is strong as far as thieves getting in, but be careful how you open the door from the inside. 

On your 400’s door, be careful which part you are pulling on to close it. If you use the correct part, it isn’t flimsy. But the wrong part will come off....I found that out very quickly. The part does pop back into place, as long as you didn't break off any of the snap tabs. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    I've come to the same conclusion after taking measurements of the pre-cut hole in the door and comparing it to the requirements for various RV locks.

What I didn't like after opening up the existing lock and inspecting the mechanism is that in the "locked" position, there is only a plastic latch that prevents the lock from opening.  It looks like it will wear down over time due to the fact that it's plastic, and actually already showed existing wear from persistent tugging on the locked handle from outside the trailer.

Since there is no viable replacement, I'll try to be happy with what I have.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Well, our (Verna's) new (slightly used) door lock installed on our Tab 320 with very little problem.  I downloaded the install instructions and watched the youtube video.  I would say that my only confusion was that I was unclear as to whether the learn switch stayed in the on position (seems to have to stay there, else the remotes don't work) and the reset instruction didn't tell you about a sharp pointy object being inserted there. Also, since the lock itself has two physical keylocks and the remote has two on/offs, I thought perhaps that one would work for one, and the other for the deadbolt.  That doesn't appear to be so and after searching, I am thinking that the second control might be for another lock altogether.  Thus, the upper lock, if set to lock with the key, would have to be unlocked with the key.  Or... am I missing something and it also can be remotely unlocked.  Not a big deal really, it works great.  I have changed the default number password (secret, can't tell you) to my own... ( also a secret, won't tell you)...  

Two thumbs up.... 

My uncle lost a thumb at work so he would only give it one thumbs up... Groan..... sorry for that, my number one was not in the room to stop me....

PS. Now on to Dale's scissor jack install...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Bump.  40% Black Friday Sale coming.

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    SaskTabbySaskTabby Member Posts: 19
    I love the idea of a single key.  Anybody know if RVLock (or someone else) has a product to replace the clamshell latches that can be keyed to match the door lock?
  • Options
    We really like not having to carry the key around.  We use the keypad on the door way more than the remote.  Still, I like that too...  Some people say that the sound is way too loud, but ours is not and it gives me audio feedback that something happened, beside the lock noise...

Our camper is now in a storage unit.  My wife wants to plan a visit, perhaps sit inside and read a book.  I could look out the windows and admire the majestic scenary.  Maybe if I put up a big poster on the wall outside, that would help.  We have a nice one of Neuschwanstein in southern Bavaria...  
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Off topic a bit here, but my wife calls me a gabby kind of guy, yet I only have 836 posts...  How do you people have way over 1000...?  
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @TerryV6, Shhhhh, It's a T@B University secret! :fearful::rofl:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    Jilong, you are right about the plastic latch.  Mine broke yesterday, fortunately I was able to fix it with one from the assembly we had to replace in our 2018. Maybe of enough of us request it RV Lock will do a run for T@b 400's.
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    @TerryV6 it’s called practice. Some of us just practice more than others!  ;)=)

BRW the beep can be turned off easily. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    I like the sound..  I mentioned that some did not and that it was very loud..  I did not find it so...  Unless mine, which was originally Verna's, was muffled somehow...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    @TerryV6, according to RVLock, the one you purchased from me cannot have the sound silenced without cutting the wire. I kinda liked the sound, also. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Some people put something over the speaker to muffle it.. 
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2019
    Has anyone bought and installed this version on a recent 320 -  (COMPACT RVLock Keyless Entry Handle- RIGHT)
    Its cheaper than the V4, and 'looks' okay. Its a tiny bit cheaper than the V4. I'm in Canada so the V4 would run me $348. The 'Compact' (link above would be $294). But don't know if it would work/fit properly.
    ah - I just saw Geekmamas post - which confirmed that it does fit.

SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    @SueBC
    That looks like a good fit for you.  Have you done any review searches...?  I do like our number pad entry feature...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2019
    TerryV6 said:
    @SueBC
    That looks like a good fit for you.  Have you done any review searches...?  I do like our number pad entry feature...
    Looks like the V4 and the Compact version both have good reviews. I might wait until RVLock has another sale and go for the V4. They seem to have sales throughout the year. Some sales also offer a 2nd FOB, which would be handy. Keeping my eyes on their Facebook page.
    Anyone have a photo of the V4 or Compact version installed on the 320? want to make sure it would look 'pretty' =)
    SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    I bought a bunch of RV Locks at 40% off black-Friday sale 1-1/2 years ago. Long time to wait till the next black-Friday sale, but I think it's their best discount ever. Very nice product.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    SueBC said:
    Has anyone bought and installed this version on a recent 320 -  (COMPACT RVLock Keyless Entry Handle- RIGHT)
    Its cheaper than the V4, and 'looks' okay. Its a tiny bit cheaper than the V4. I'm in Canada so the V4 would run me $348. The 'Compact' (link above would be $294). But don't know if it would work/fit properly.
    ah - I just saw Geekmamas post - which confirmed that it does fit.

I installed that model on a 2013 CS-S. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    @SueBC here you go. They tend to make the best offers at holiday sales so maybe they will have a Presidents Day sale including a second fob. I’m loving mine and glad I did it. It was an exact tight fit, no “surgery “ needed, just elbow grease. Good luck!
  • Options
    Hummmm, @Sharon_is_SAM, I recognize that hand.....
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    edited January 2019
    Is that your hand, @Verna ?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I think so!
    Verna, Columbus, IN