Options

Jacking up t@b to change tire

Anyone know where exactly to place a jack under the t@b ? My 2014 axle has two tabs... No pun intended...but the literature doesn't mention location for jack...axle or trailer frame... ? Anyone had to change a tire on the road ? Just wondering about ease of changing a tire while hitched to TV. Just made sure I have proper lug wrench...anyone know proper torque on nuts ? Thanks for all the help!!

Comments

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    See p. 4: http://www.golittleguy.com/download/literature/LG-Owners-Manual.pdf Personally it seems a little odd, especially with the spare underneath. I'm wondering if anyone has advice using a scissors jack...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I only put a jack under the frame of my Silver Shadow in front of the tire, after being warned by Little Guy not to put a jack under the axle (I'm on my 3rd axle, so I listen. 1st was defective, 2nd was damaged in an accident last year). You can get a Harbor Freight 8 ton bottle jack rather inexpensively. I wasn't sure if the smaller 2 ton bottle jack would be tall enough and there's not much difference in price during their sales. I had tried a scissor jack that I had in the garage, but it slid around on the pavement, and the bottle jack is easier to manage.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited December 2014
    With the 2014 LG Tab, the documentation from the axle manufacturer (AlKo? Bal? -don't recall now) says to never put a jack under the axle.

The axle is hollow, with an eccentric interior axle which is cushioned with rubber, the whole assembly acting as a torsion spring for the suspension system (similar to the old VWs).

If you were to crush the outer axle tube by having a jack under it, it won't function correctly any more!

The LG owners manual says you can lift a wheel by dropping the tongue all the way down, then lowering the rear stabilizer, then cranking up the tongue with its jack. This lifts the wheel high enough to remove it.

Some people don't think that the above method is very safe, and feel that the rear stabilizer, and it's mount-point, isn't necessarily strong enough to hold the weight of the Tab like that, and that it might break through the floor.

Also, some feel it's safer to only jack the Tab while it's connected to the TV, with properly chocked wheels. These people are experienced with Tabs, so are likely to know of what they speak!

I'd say the only way to know for sure if the stabilizer is mounted on a strong enough piece of floor would be to contact LG about it. The tongue jack method is pretty handy.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    So, the answer is?
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options

Thanks, Chan, I didn't take the time to refer to the LG/T@B manual. 

When I was sitting on the side of I-70 at 9 pm (dark-thirty!), there was no way that I was going to attempt to try Little Guy's method of using the tongue jack and stabilizers to jack up the Silver Shadow without having tried it myself before.  AAA to the rescue.  When I got home, I ended up having to change and exchange the tires by changing from side to side (long story) about six times.  The first time I used the neighbor's automotive pneumatic jack after I had tried the scissor jack and wasn't comfortable using it.  Then I bought the 8 ton bottle jack.  That feels safe, it's easy, and I can easily carry it with me in the Escape.  But AAA is still the best for me alongside the road.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    im going to practice removing wheel while hitched to TV and using Jack and chocks ...I feel on the side of the interstate at night....worst case....that remaining hitched is safest for me...a jack stand opposite might work better than relying on the stablizers ...
  • Options
    Yes, remain hitched, with the emergency brake in the ON position on your tow vehicle.  Then you KNOW your T@B won't roll away.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Deltaboy, keep us posted.  I have wondered about the same issues.  Thanks.
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    I guess the original question was where to place the jack, eh?

I would put it under the frame member, with a chunk of 2x4 between the jack and the frame.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Verna, where did you place your jack? Chan, thanks. Keep those ideas coming.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    Judy, I placed the bottle jack under the frame just in front of the tire.  Check beforehand to make sure the top of the bottle jack top fits under the frame and doesn't touch the trim of the sides (or at least my Silver Shadow has silver trim that wraps under the side material).
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    These are available at Walmart and eliminate the need for a socket wrench.  

Lug Wrench

Fold-Down 4-Way Lug Wrench for 07-11 Jeep Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK

And as noted above, NEVER place a jack under the trailer axle to lift the trailer as you could damage it.  And "in an emergency" you probably CAN lift the trailer by lowering the tongue down and extending the rear stabilizers, but I would not do it as I would opt for a scissor jack, chock the tire of the opposite side lifted and perform the tire change out.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    I plan to do that to my lugs also... A little grease and proper torque gives you piece of mind down the road.
  • Options
    I've always used Nevr-seize, or anti seize compound, and have understood that it's better/safer than grease, especially for a lugnut. Less chance that the nut will loosen unintentionally.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Mike, not to sound ignorant, but where would you place the scissor jack?

• Options
    edited December 2014
    judymac said:
    Mike, not to sound ignorant, but where would you place the scissor jack?
    I would run it up some prior to placement, then set it under the frame and just in front (or behind) of the tire that needs to be changed.  Simialar to the photo shown below.  You could place a small square of wood beneath it too for additional support in loose soil.

• Options
    Gotcha. Thanks Verna and Mike. Verna, did I understand correctly that you remained hitched while changing? This is a new train of thought for me.

• Options
    edited December 2014

Judy, yes I remained hitched, with the emergency brake set, while AAA changed the tire on the shoulder of the Interstate.  At home, I chocked the opposite tire, in front of and in back of the other tire, and I was not hitched.

So, it's not a blanket statement.  In an emergency situation (not at home), remain hitched to help keep the T@B/LG from rolling.  At home you can use chocks to keep the T@B/LG from Rolling. 

And, not to confuse you, but you can hitch up at home if it makes you feel more secure.  You just don't want the camper to roll away from you.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I've traveled 40K+ miles with a Little Guy and have yet to change out a flat trailer tire.  
  • Options
    Did you knock on wood, Mike? I hadn't changed a tire since I was 16 and Daddy required us to be able to change a tire to get our driver's license.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    T@B owners...what size Jack do you recommend for the scenario of a flat on asphalt and being unable to 'dig out' for placement?  Little ground clearance, I would imagine.
    Thank you.

• Options
    deputydogdeputydog Member Posts: 103
    edited December 2014
         Just purchased an 8 Ton bottle jack after reading of its use on T@B Forum.  Practiced its use that was recommended and it works great.     I'm very glad I learned this on the forum and had a chance to practice before I needed to, out on the road.

TV is a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Own 2015 T@B Maxx s/wet-bath white green. St. Clair Shores, MI.

• Options
    One thing to keep in mind here too is that when a tire goes flat the trailer drops down to the rim and closer to the ground.  My point being here is that although access is generally pretty simple under "inflated" conditions, you do lose clearance and some of the jacks will not fit into spots previously accessible when distances are minimized or reduced.  Just make sure that whatever jack is utilized, you will be able to easily use it when that tire flattens out along the highway, etc.  
  • Options
    I always keep a piece of 2 by 10 lumber as a base for my jack since soft ground can make changing a tire a headache...and I use a low profile Jack so clearance is not an issue...I use the scissor Jack from my TV as a jack stand to support t@b opposite side
  • Options
    CibolaSisuCibolaSisu Member Posts: 18
    Has anything changed with the type of jack people are using now with the newer models? I have a 2022 t@b 320S boondock. I am trying to BE PREPARED!
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Couple things in this old thread. One I was told to never lubricate lug threads, as torque needs to be with threads dry. A number of years ago I had a tire shop clean all the antisieze off my lugs and scold me about that before they would let vehicle out of the bay.

2nd commet is regarding AAA or any shop knowing how to properly jack. I previously related that I recently found the shop servicing my Tab 400 hubs had all four stabilizer jacks supporting the entire weight of the trailer. I also recently had a tire shop destroy my sway bar bushings on my back axle of my pickup by jacking in them and crushing them instead of jacking in a solid spot.

Best jack and safest is a floor jack, but bulky to carry.

I can't answer the OP question because I haven't looked at an older axle, but assuming similar to newer Tabs, it is the plate just behind the tire that looks like an obvious jack point. It is fairly small surface and using a hydraulic bottle jack is very tricky and a bit unsafe, I had my 400 slip off while checking my brakes, fortunately I still had the tire attached!
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    Best jack and safest is a floor jack, but bulky to carry.
    using a hydraulic bottle jack is very tricky and a bit unsafe, I had my 400 slip off while checking my brakes, fortunately I still had the tire attached!
    Our garage provides storage for several bottle jacks, screw jacks and scissor jacks. I would never consider lifting a trailer (anything) on uneven ground (like the side of a road) using any of them. The base is too small. They are too unstable. As they extend, it's like balancing plates on a broom handle. In some cases they are too tall. They cannot be collapsed down far enough to handle removing a flattened tire on uneven ground.  
    As you note, the best choice is a floor jack. We carry one of the lightweight Harbor Freight aluminum jacks and also a plywood board to place under it to keep it from digging into the ground. Yes, it takes up quite a bit of room, but for an emergency there is no better alternative. 
  • Options
    nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 63
    And since safety is a major concern of this thread, it is also a good idea to crack wheel lug nuts loose before you ever jack the trailer up regardless of which jack is used because that motion can rock a trailer - especially if you are on a bottle jack.  You can also snug them after the tire is changed but torque them after that tire is closer to the ground.