Options

Weekend camping have a few questions...

DonnabDonnab Member Posts: 60
Hi everybody happy fall!
i camped 3 days at jelly stone RV park Hagerstown Md ( great park for kid)
Okay first off I did not have not one person who was curious about my T@b Outback!
Tells me they are getting more exposure and sales must be up!!
I managed not to break anything but did lock myself out of camper with no car keys or phone which were inside
the camper! My son came to the rescue
i returned from a walk and unlocked door went inside came out and shut the door.  Went to get something out of the fridge and door wouldn't open and my windows were locked with the air conditioner on.  I will always keep a key on body in the future....for the life of me I have no idea how I managed to lock it?

i used my hot water heater and was very concerned how hot my seat got. I left it on for maybe 3 hours before I discovered it was hot.
my question is do you turn it on when you need it and turn off immediately afterwards or do some of you leave it on?
I haven't used the heat yet so I'm wondering if this is going to heat up the cushion too.
I did raise the temperature higher

i also used fridge on propane and worked good but the rubber gasket on the door kept falling completely off.  Annoying but I can live with it.

Thanks in advance for advice on heater
Cheers
Donna
Donna 2017  Maryland resident Colorado land owner outback white/black Toyota Tacoma  ; )

Comments

• Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    edited September 2017
    My refrigerator door seal falls off occasionally too; I wipe clean the surfaces on the fridge and door and press it back on. Others want a permanent fix and have glued it on. Search and you should find a thread on it. There is some heat build-up under the seats and in the storage areas, I just consider it normal and don't worry about it. I guess when you locked the door,you must have returned the key to the locked position before removing it, then shut the door. I don't know how you got back in, hopefully without breaking anything on little T@bby. 

Here is a link to door seal:  http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5386/norcold-gasket-fell-off#latest
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Regarding the lock, I keep a second key in my TV at all times.  Also, at least one poster found herself locked inside the T@B.  I keep a screwdriver inside the T@B to remove the lock now after reading that post.  Regarding the water heater, I only turn it on 20 minutes or so before showering.  I turn it off immediately afterward.  For other hot water needs, I use the propane stove.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    The Alde will heat up the seat cushion above it. It really doesn't matter whether you are using cabin heat or just hot water, as the heating mechanism is the same in both cases.

Like Tabaz, we only turn the Alde on when needed--typically once a day to wash dishes.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Donnab, An extra key somewhere is an excellent idea. My dear wife did the same thing, and you need to be mindful about the position of the handle lock (not the deadbolt portion) when you close the door. Fortunately, we both carry keys, so it really wasn't an issue. Glad your son was able to get back inside, and remedy the situation. On the same subject, and one that @Tabaz eluded to about getting locked inside. The screws on both the door latch, and the door stop tend to "loosen" up after a while, and if they come out too far, it won't allow the door to open, hence getting locked inside. I make a point of once, or twice a season making sure these screws are snug, so I don't have that issue arise. Doesn't hurt to go around once in a while and snug up all the screws around the trailer. Heating up, cooling down, and just the general trailer bounce from hauling the trailer can loosen them a bit. Just a maintenance thing, and doesn't take that long to do. ;)  Glad to hear you enjoyed trip, and hope you have many more enjoyable ones. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    DonnabDonnab Member Posts: 60
    Thank all for input been helpful!
    Donna 2017  Maryland resident Colorado land owner outback white/black Toyota Tacoma  ; )
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @ericnliz to piggyback onto your comment, I'm tempted to buy several square headed screw drivers/drill bits for all those T@B screws and place them in the TV and T@B. Per @Tabaz :
    I think the two sizes are C2 and C3.  Just going from memory here.

I'm hoping his memory is better than mine.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    @Twojgrams , You need to take your "temptation" to the hardware store and pick some up. It will be a purchase you won't regret at all. Those bits & drivers were one of the first things I purchased for my T@B "toolbox". When purchasing things to stock your T@B with, I'd put those a the top of the priority list!!!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    DonnaB - also make sure your TV lug wrench fits the lug nuts on your T@B.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I keep spare car keys in the T@b and spare T@b keys in the car. And more car keys hidden on the outside of the car and a T@b key hidden outside the car.  Don't even ask me where all my house keys are hidden, I can't remember. :giggle:
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    In your house!!! :rofl:
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
    This is not a big discussion point so I'll include it here if that's ok. 

Regarding the Alde and heating with electricity; there are various power steps ( Off, Step 1 and Step 2).  What is step 1 and step 2?

I cannot see an explanation for this in the Operating Instructions anywhere.  Thanks
    2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    There are two 950 watt heating elements.  The default is heating with 1 and you can increase the power to the boiler by using 2 - faster to heat up.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
    Thanks Sam
    2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it.