Options

Cleaning Installed Flexible Solar panels

Beginning in May, nüCamp started offering rooftop flexible solar panel installs on the T@B 320s, and I've heard this is also an option for the 400 (likely why it's an option on the 320 now!).

(yes, this is a horrible picture from pickup at the dealer):

I've been wondering at the best way to keep mine clean, other than with water and a soft cloth.  I've been parked under some trees and have some sap and other stuff accumulated on them.

I use and love Plexus so much on my T@B windows - really this stuff is amazing! - that I wondered how it would do on the solar panels. (https://www.amazon.com/Plexus-Plastic-Cleaner-Protectant-13-Ounce/dp/B00092CKN4/) I was a bit worried when I read the plexus site as it seems to indicate it creates a micro layer of film while cleaning.  Would this impact the efficiency of the solar panels?  I decided what the heck - I'll drop an email to Plexus and see what they say.

Imagine my surprise when less than an hour later Blake at Plexus actually picks up the phone and calls me back.  He chats to me about the solar panels (I sent him a link to a similar panel) and about how Plexus would interact with it, so obviously he did some research.  In the end, it's his recommendation that Plexus would be safe to use on the panels.

Now, I know that he's working for a company that's ultimately trying to sell me a product, but I think he really thought about it and I appreciate the customer service by giving me a call back and taking the time to talk me through it.

Looks like the weather is finally going to cool off starting Thursday so I'll dig the ladder out and give it a go and report back!  

What have those of you with the installed panels been using to date? (note that portable solar panels are glass and would use a different cleaner.  Plexus is only for plastics).

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

Comments

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    Just soap and water for me so far...But needless to say I'll be waiting to hear what you think.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    I'll be interested as well. We're getting the flexible solar panels on the 400 we hope to pick up in October. 
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Reviving this thread.  Besides using water and a soft cloth to clean the installed flexible solar panels, did any other information come with a new TaB about care of the panels?  What about removing tree sap?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited January 2022
    @Sharon_is_SAM, I was going to suggest "Plexus" (plastic and acrylic cleaner/polish) as a possible solution, and then did a Google search for "best way to clean a flexible solar panel."  Lo and behold, this was the first recommendation that popped up:

"The surface of the panels may be cleaned using neutral soap and water, wiping carefully and without using abrasive material. Denatured alcohol (methylated spirit) can be used to remove grease, etc.  When panel is clean and dry, apply a coating of a plastic protectorate such as "Plexus" or Novus Plastic Cleaner #1- available at your marine chandlery or online.  If contaminants build up or oxidation occurs over time, it may be necessary to polish the panel. The recommended polish is either ReJex or Novus brand polish, #2 (Fine scratch remover). It is recommended that you hand polish the panels, as a power polisher could burn the surface with too much friction. Follow the instructions on the product label."

The info references https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.com , but the full link provided does not take you to the statement above, so I have not included it.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    @Bayliss - I think I saw that, too.  I also saw a reference that you should not place anything on the panels that can potentially leave a film.  I wonder if any info came with the installed panels.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Sharon, we have the second version of nüCamp installed solar panel on our TaB400 (Jan 2018) and did not receive any care info with the trailer’s info and warranty pack, which had manuals for every appliance installed in/on the trailer.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    jimrjjimrj Member Posts: 57
    We have a 2021 320S and did not receive any care information on the factory installed solar panels. Would have been helpful. 
    Jim and Robin / 2021 320S / 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk / Oregon
  • Options
    Thanks @Denny16 and @jimrj.  I will see what I can find out.
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    And as another new owner of 2021 320S BD, I will also be looking forward to your post on this @Sharon_is_SAM.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country