Cargo Deck, Storage and Spare Wheel Mods

Earlier, I posted as a new owner to the Introductions section and mentioned I would post a couple of mods I've just completed, so here goes: 

After taking delivery of our new 320 S Max, I soon realized the need for a better spare wheel solution and a decent tongue cargo platform.  Trying to mount the heavy and cumbersome full spare to the rear Tab bracket, I could not believe how totally impractical a solution that is and at first thought a skinny donut would work better.  I did some research and identified a GM spare with the correct bolt pattern and an overall tire diameter within 3% of the Tab wheels.  Having purchased a nice unused example inexpensively on Ebay, I soon decided that was going to be only moderately better than the full spare under the back.  So I then decided to mount the donut under the tongue with a hoist that I also sourced from GM and adapted to work under the new platform.

I constructed the platform from 5/8" pressure treated plywood laminated with 16 gauge diamond plate aluminum using construction adhesive and countersunk stainless oval head screws.  The platform edges are finished with folded 1.5" aluminum diamond plate.  The back edge is reinforced with a strip of galvanized slotted angle steel.  The front of the platform is hinged with piano hinges and lifts to provide access to a storage compartment for dump hose, rhino hook up and stabilizer crank, etc.  The spare wheel fits nicely underneath with good clearance and is easily lowered or raised from within the Tab tongue box with a 12mm socket and extension.  I also mounted two 12" stainless steel marine deck grab handles to the platform.

After the inevitable trial and error that accompanies a project of this kind I am extremely happy with how things turned out.  To me, everything looks oem which is what I was hoping to achieve.  I am a big fan of the Tab design aesthetic, including the tongue box, and this does not detract, while adding a lot more practicality.

I've finished with the platform for the time being, but also plan to build two additional storage compartments from diamond plate, to fit the curve of the Tab either side of the tongue box, plus a tool compartment under the platform along the right side tongue rail.  I also have a wireless rearview camera to fit and will probably add a couple of led reversing lights.  All this and we have not yet been anywhere with the Tab!

Hopefully the pictures are self-explainatory.  They were taken after some rain so the polished aluminum may look as though it has some blemishes... 

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Nice job!  Good idea to have a flat surface up front.  It does look OEM!  What does it do to your tongue weight?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    edited October 2017
    Nice work. I love it when a plan comes together. Thanks for  sharing.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • JdcoupleJdcouple Member Posts: 96
    Looks really good.

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited October 2017
    I love diamond plate! I really like the grab handles, as a load stabilizer and,,,grab handles! Lol One question, or observation...though hard to tell...have you vented the deck under the stock tub? If not, i would so any leaking propane doesn't puddle....over all superb!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • FreshaireFreshaire Member Posts: 97
    This looks awesome.  I am quite envious of the talent that is on this forum.  I could only dream of being able to do something like this.  Are there mod classes taught at any of the T@b get togethers?  There's a few I'd like to sign up for. 
    2015 T@b 320S Maxx Outback, aka "Alie Cat"
    TV:  2012 Honda Ridgeline

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @Freshaire, the folks here inspired me to make curtains.. me!!! of all people... I really do own a sewing machine. It's just sorta old, but not from the 1800's. Come to think of it, I'd like to have one like that. Mom had an old one that she had converted from pedal to electric... would've liked to have that one now!

Anyhow, folks here have helped convinced me that I can do things that I'd never think of trying.

Keep reading! There are some peeps that I have intense jealousy of with their skill and patience. :)  
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @teztab, Very nice installation. Solves quite a few issues with one very well thought out modification. You're well on your way to T@B University!! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• libertyolibertyo Member Posts: 33
    Looks great and solves several storage issues!  I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with my spare tire - it's been traveling in the back of my expedition, but I'd like to get it outa there.    
    "Bella"  2016 T@b maxs blue, towed by '18 Chevy Colorado ZR2 duramax diesel - yes NEW baby, accompanied by the Red dog
    Rural Liberty Hill, TX, near Austin
  • teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    @JanandDave Here is my original posting about the cargo deck and storage, etc.
  • mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    i think the spare tire mode is the way the tire should come attached from the factory.   it is that way on  the T@g and the new 400.      i hope nucamp makes that change in the future.   the donut size also save weight over a full size spare
    mreric said:
    i think the spare tire mode is the way the tire should come attached from the factory.   it is that way on  the T@g and the new 400.      i hope nucamp makes that change in the future.   the donut size also save weight over a full size spare
    Thanks, yes, I fully agree!  Although I have not yet had to use it, it is reassuring to know it is there.  Plus, it consumes no space, is very easy to access and does not clutter or impact the look of the Tab.  I am very happy with it.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Love your ingenuity!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Thank you @jkjenn !  I'm inspired by so much Tab-inspired ingenuity on this forum..! 😁
  • rajamarrajamar Member Posts: 112
    Great project @teztab! Any chance you have drawings or sketches with dimensions and bolts hole specs you could share to help others benefit from your pioneering effort on a very worthwhile mod?
    2016 T@B S - TV 2004 Toyota Sienna
    rajamar said:
    Great project @teztab! Any chance you have drawings or sketches with dimensions and bolts hole specs you could share to help others benefit from your pioneering effort on a very worthwhile mod?
    Unfortunately I have no drawings, @rajamar , but I can probably provide a few close ups and specs.  I'll try to post them within the next few days...
  • rajamarrajamar Member Posts: 112
    teztab said:
    rajamar said:
    Unfortunately I have no drawings, @rajamar , but I can probably provide a few close ups and specs.  I'll try to post them within the next few days...
    Great, any dimensions and pics of any problem or tricky areas and connection points would be quite helpful. 
    2016 T@B S - TV 2004 Toyota Sienna