Options

Variation on dual golf cart batteries

I want to do dual golf cart batteries, but the batteries will not be right next to each other. So I will need 24 inch cables to do the series wiring. I will use heavy cadge wires 4/0 awg. Is this an issue?

Thank you!
Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Generally speaking, using a larger wire than required is never a problem. The opposite, however, is not true--all wires must be of a sufficient minimum size to handle the amps they are expected to carry.

4/0 is pretty beefy, and is typically used to provide 200A residential service. It's probably overkill, but if you've got it lying around and can manage to work with it it would provide a pretty robust battery cable!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    How long a cable do you plan to use?  How far away are you spacing the batteries?  I would think 4 gauge would limit/eliminate your voltage drop.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    You can buy battery cables that will be much easier to work with than a 4/0 conductor.   Not unless you are planning on firing up a hot tub next to your trailer.   =)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2017
    Mike's suggestion makes sense. Battery cables already have ends, and if you have one battery with the side mount terminals, you won't need to replace one end with the clamp type end.
    It might be smart to use the heavier 6V cables though (which are pretty close to 4ga anyway). Less voltage drop with any high current draw (fridge).
    Trucking or tractor supply?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    It's hard to physically crimp ends of those large cables. I'd rather have a factory machine do it. Even someone with great hand strength would have a hard time without the correct tool. Buy something premade for batteries. @ChanW makes a great suggestion. Tractor or Trucking supply. Many 18W trucks run with two banks of batteries. Great idea, Chan!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    or you can try this place: http://custombatterycables.com/

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Just in case it's not clear to everyone following this, 4/0AWG and 4AWG are not the same thing...

4AWG is about 5mm in diameter. 4/0AWG is almost 12MM in diameter!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My Interstate Battery dealer made up cables for me. He said he used welding wire because it was more flexible. He did put red ends on the positive cable and black ends on the negative cable.  It’s a very heavy gauge wire. And it’s doing fine for me.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Love the welding wire idea.
    Verna said:
    My Interstate Battery dealer made up cables for me. He said he used welding wire because it was more flexible. He did put red ends on the positive cable and black ends on the negative cable.  It’s a very heavy gauge wire. And it’s doing fine for me.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Amazon...Camco has heavier gauge batrery cables.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    JdcoupleJdcouple Member Posts: 96
    Pictures please! I'm wanting to do this this winter. 

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4