Tab 400 - Weight-Distribution Hitch Not Recommended Due To C-Channel Construction

I was told that this hitch type can’t be used. My 2017 Ford Explorer (3.5V6) has a Class III hitch but the max tongue weight is 200 lb unless you use the wt-distribution hitch. So I guess I can’t buy a Tab 400?
Thanks for any input. 
[email protected] 400. Ford Explorer TV. Medina, Ohio

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Posts: 457Member
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Posts: 406Member
    edited November 2017
    Class III Tow Package on the Explorer V6 models has a 5000 lb capacity. Tongue weight of 200 lbs can't be right.
    2015 [email protected] Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • ChaseTheLightChaseTheLight Posts: 39Member
    Thank you both for replying. The Explorer V6 3.5L TiVCT 4WD w Class III tow package allows a weight-carrying hitch up to 3500 lbs. From 3500 to the max allowable (5000) weight they recommend a weight-distribution hitch. Fords online towing guides don’t exactly sync up (pun intended) with the owners manual. Fords online tow guide leads you to believe that weight-carrying hitches have a tongue max around 200 but rises to 600 with a Weight-distribution hitch. 
    My dealer said weight distribution hitches aren’t recommended/allowed on the C channel style trailers.   
    Since the Tab 400 has a dry weight of approx 3000, I plan to buy one and tow with the standard weight-carrying hitch. 
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Posts: 179Member

@ChaseTheLight

In reference to your statement:

My (car?) dealer said weight distribution hitches aren’t recommended/allowed on the C channel style trailers.

That sounds like an incomplete answer. There are several different WD Hitch system designs on the market with several used everyday on C-channel trailers.

What should be important is how the WD Hitch is attached to the trailer frame. Some designs use a C-Clamp style attachment that only makes contact with the upper edge of the trailer frame.

While other designs use a U-Bolt style attachment that contacts the wide sides balancing the load over the full width of the C-channel frame.

Suggest you do more research before for abandoning a WD Hitch solution. TAB-400 dry weight 2,690 pounds will most likely increase to 3,300 - 3,500 pounds loaded for an outing. You should follow the Ford Factory recommendation to use a WD Hitch to prevent TV rear axle over loading, TV rear end sag, and TV handling problems.

You might also investigate this web-site that has a very useful interactive calculator that provides TV and Trailer axle loading for WC and WD hitch configurations.

https://www.ajdesigner.com/apptrailertow/weightdistributionhitch.php

2018 [email protected] 320 Spitched axle
    TV: 2017 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, Factory Trailer Brake Controller
    Craig - - Puget Sound, Washington
       Adventures:  7       Nights:   16

edited November 2017
    Thanks MuttonChops- super helpful post. Tab dealer said no to WD hitch so I will pursue that with Tab directly. I would feel more confident about the connection with WD. I read on etrailer.com that if the c channel opening faces inboard - important. Being new at all this it is difficult to know what is legit. 
    After researching further and having my dealer speak with nuCamp, I’m going with the Equalizer 400 wt-distribution hitch. This will match Fords recommendation for my Explorer given the [email protected] 400 max loaded weight of 3500lb. 
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Posts: 179Member
    Thanks for sharing your final solution.
    2018 [email protected] 320 Spitched axle
    TV: 2017 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, Factory Trailer Brake Controller
    Craig - - Puget Sound, Washington
       Adventures:  7       Nights:   16

Yes it helps close the loop for both people watching and for those contributing. Thanks for your help. 
  • driftlessdriftless Posts: 113Member
    @ChaseTheLight how has towing the 400 with your explorer been?
    Happy Trails,
    Phil & Anita - Driftless: 2018 [email protected] 400/2015 Ford Explorer 

• rcuomorcuomo Posts: 90Member
    Maybe I am missing something but you have a new Explorer with the factory tow hitch.  What does the label on the hitch say?
    2018 Tab 320S
    TV 2017- Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
    Home Base- Huntington LI
  • JustJohnJustJohn Posts: 156Member
    I have used the Timbren rear suspension kit (load leveler) on a couple of vehicles over the years and currently have the kit on my Xterra. It makes a huge difference in the handling while towing eliminates sagging while shifting additional weight to the front axle. The kits are made for most makes and models of vehicles  and are sold by e-trailer. The kits are about $250.00 and take less than an hour to install. It took my mechanic 30 minutes to install the set on my tv. I would recommend you research Timbren kits befor going with any type of tow bar or distribution hitch. Lot of info on e-trailer site.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
    driftless said:
    @ChaseTheLight how has towing the 400 with your explorer been?
    No real experience yet- picked up in December and it is in storage. Will post in April/May after first trip. rcuomo said:
    Maybe I am missing something but you have a new Explorer with the factory tow hitch.  What does the label on the hitch say?
    Thanks for response. The hitch is Class III and labeled 5000lb max on the car. Ford literature and owners manual says use weight distribution hitch for 3500 and over. JustJohn said:
    I have used the Timbren rear suspension kit (load leveler) on a couple of vehicles over the years and currently have the kit on my Xterra. It makes a huge difference in the handling while towing eliminates sagging while shifting additional weight to the front axle. The kits are made for most makes and models of vehicles  and are sold by e-trailer. The kits are about $250.00 and take less than an hour to install. It took my mechanic 30 minutes to install the set on my tv. I would recommend you research Timbren kits befor going with any type of tow bar or distribution hitch. Lot of info on e-trailer site.
    Appreciate the detailed response. I have already gone with the Equalizer 400. Seems to be a good match for my TV and Tab400.