Sewer Hose Opinions?

ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
Time for some potty talk...

Durability and price aside, it seems sewer hoses come in two basic flavors; there are those (like the RhinoFLEX) that hold their shape when bent into position, and others (like the Valterra Viper) that remain flexible.

I'm interested in your opinions of the one style vs another. I do not expect to be camping at sites with sewer hookup, so my top priority is the ease of using the hose at dump stations. I've read a few reviews and both seem to have their inherent handling issues.

The 10' cheapo hose that came installed in the tub of my T@B has served me just fine for three seasons, but the last couple uses suggested a flood was in my future!  :-0

Thanks in advance for any insights.
2015 T@B S

Comments

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I am interested in answers to this too. With the toy hauler, the cheapo hoses went into the trash (bleached and cleaned). I have the next step up in quality hoses, but not as good as the V Viper or the Rhino. Like @ScottG, I don't camp with sewer hookups, but use them exclusively for dump stations. I purchased a sewer tube holder, but am not sure it will help:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/easy-slider-sewer-hose-support/6851

I haven't used it so far. It's pretty cheaply made and not worth the price. I even have 2 extra sections because the first time it was shipped, that's all that was in the box. C.World customer service was very responsive in getting me a replacement. I just wanted the hose NOT to stretch down when the rush of fluids come through and having to play slinky to get all the fluids in the dump station.

BTW, C.World sells weights to hold the end that goes into the d.station hole that work great and are adjustable for around your 90 degree hose bend type. V has made her own for a bunch cheaper, or free from household things, but brain cell can't rem how she did it. 

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have been extremely satisfied with the Rhino hose. I can extend to the length I want and it stays that length. It scrunches easily back to its storage size. I don’t abuse it, putting it immediately back into it’s tube for storage. 

Should the end come off, remember that it has reverse threads, which helps keep the ends on the hose. The new one came with what seemed to be avasoline coating on the ends to assist in threading the end to the hose.

I did toss a cheap hose that came with a Blue Boy. Honestly, it was obvious it was going to tear after a few uses. It was opaque and did not have the strength of the Rhino.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @Ratkity, that support channel thingy looks great, but I've never been in a situation where my hose was a straight shot to the dump hole. To get 'altitude', too often I'll have to jockey my wheels into a spot where the hose is one kind of curve or another.

I've seen a sandbag kind of support thing advertised I think, but if I need it, I just use some of our wheel blocks (hunks of 2x6) in strategic places. If we were often in a 'full hookups' site for a length of time I could see perhaps investing in a fancy solution.

One thing I read about doing with a site with sewer hookup, was something about being sure to leave a kind of 'bump' in the tube, to create a trap to keep the sewer gases from coming back up the tube and out your Tab's vent. 

We have the Rhino hose, and I really like it for its useability (keeping its shape) and its seeming durability, but the ribs in it make me want to rinse it thoroughly after use.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    edited December 2017
    I've never camped in a full hookup site yet, but when dumping I'm very happy with my Rhino hose. I also have removed the dump hole end piece and just stuff that end down the hole. I've kept the piece in case it is required, but so far so good. This was the suggestion of the gal who taught me how to dump properly (and come away unscathed!) Verna, mine had that goop, too. I wish it didn't, but it does. :rose:
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    ChanW - do you think the sewer gas is an issue if you keep your valves closed in between dumps?  Makes me think that it may be best to not keep the sewer end of the hose inserted into the sewer hole.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    @SAM, probably not an issue in that case, at all. I think what I was reading was written for those who tend to do a really long term full-hookup thing. Not a common situation in a Tab I think.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    I had a full hookup site once (only space left in the park). I used it like a private dump station in the end and didn't set up my hoses. Many people seemed to do that for short stays. I had plenty of tank space for myself without using the park facilities and it was only a 3-day weekend. I normally wouldn't spend the $$ to get full hookups at a park, but I didn't have a choice at the time.

My sister set up her Alto with hoses to the full hookups. She had issues with floppy hoses, even with using the caterpillar holders. The ones she had weren't long enough. I guess that's where that straight hose holder might have helped.

I'm still thinking Rhino is the way to go. I don't have a permanently attached place to put the hoses in. They air dry in a container after rigorous cleaning. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    One of the biggest criticisms of the traditional (floppy) hoses like the Valterra Vulcan is that were so flexible they had a hard time staying put on those accordion style holders when stuff was running through them. However, it's not clear if the flexibility would make dump station duty easier, or end up being something akin to wrestling a boa constrictor.

It sounds like the stiffness of the Rhino may actually make things easier. I'm a little less concerned about the cleanliness factor as part of the upgrade will be a dedicated storage tube for the hose. We also don't typically run, um, solids though it. 
    2015 T@B S
    A bit off topic...
    The one thing I took advantage of when I had full hookups was a 'long luxurious' shower (after 4 days on the road). Didn't have to worry about my 5 gallons of fresh water, or how full my gray tank was! I think I might have even stretched the Alde hot water supply to 7 minutes!
    Ratkity said:
    I had a full hookup site once (only space left in the park). I used it like a private dump station in the end and didn't set up my hoses......

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    ChanW said:
    A bit off topic...
    The one thing I took advantage of when I had full hookups was a 'long luxurious' shower (after 4 days on the road). Didn't have to worry about my 5 gallons of fresh water, or how full my gray tank was! I think I might have even stretched the Alde hot water supply to 7 minutes!
    Ratkity said:
    I had a full hookup site once (only space left in the park). I used it like a private dump station in the end and didn't set up my hoses......

I confess.. my gray water tank is 39 gallons in the toy hauler. That's what I was in at the time! Six gallon hot water heater (traditional) puts out a nice shower like the Alde. Still miss the Alde heat!