Entertainment system

I can't find any info on the installed entertainment system in a 320 or 400. I'd like to know the specs on the Jenson unit, speakers and flat screen. I'm a hifi hobby guy so I'd really like to know what I'm buying and If I'm not impressed can I choose to have the wiring (harness) but none of the equipment?
2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
Tampa, Florida

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    My 2017 Outback has the Jensen AWM968, which you can search for (Amazon has it, plenty of questions and feedback.)  As basic as it gets, plays DVD's/Bluetooth, etc.  The speakers I just don't have any idea about.

Plenty of room for amps/subs, etc, inside the Tab, but speaker placement?

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
    My 2017 Outback has the Jensen AWM968, which you can search for (Amazon has it, plenty of questions and feedback.)  As basic as it gets, plays DVD's/Bluetooth, etc.  The speakers I just don't have any idea about.

Plenty of room for amps/subs, etc, inside the Tab, but speaker placement?

Thanks. I have better speakers (Martin Logan Motion 2s} but I'm trying to figure out a sub solution. 
    Tampa, Florida
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Something to think about: the 12v solutions in most RVs do not usually compete with home audio solutions, but they are low energy draw and you can use them without being connected to shore power. If you will always camp at campgrounds with hook ups, that is not a big deal. If you like to dry camp, boondock, or otherwise known as no hookups, you will want a 12v system.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

jkjenn said:
    Something to think about: the 12v solutions in most RVs do not usually compete with home audio solutions, but they are low energy draw and you can use them without being connected to shore power. If you will always camp at campgrounds with hook ups, that is not a big deal. If you like to dry camp, boondock, or otherwise known as no hookups, you will want a 12v system.
    Doesn't need to compete but should at least offer some power and quality.

https://www.boemarine.com/collections/fusion-stereos/products/fusion-av650-dvd-dc-marine-entertainment-system-w-built-in-dvd-player-bluetooth-fusion-link

Tampa, Florida
    ecyfoto said:
    jkjenn said:

https://www.boemarine.com/collections/fusion-stereos/products/fusion-av650-dvd-dc-marine-entertainment-system-w-built-in-dvd-player-bluetooth-fusion-link

I don't see anything that indicates it's 12v. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    jkjenn said:
    ecyfoto said:
    jkjenn said:

If it's for marine (boat) use it must be 12v. I guess they just assume buyers know that. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    The Jensen is just ok, new speakers are a must over the paper cones that come standard.  They clear up the TV/DVD and are loud enough for such a small space.  I went with Kickers, but any decent 6 inch coaxial poly speaker will be an upgrade.

I'm still toying with porting the cabinet for some more bass, but for my music preference a sub is not necessary.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• knoxville1915knoxville1915 Member Posts: 60
    The radio, both am and fm on the Jensen set up in the 400, reception leaves a lot to be desired. The little stumpy antenna has not been able to pull in but the strongest of stations. I’m trying to figure out a work around so my tv antenna can double as an fm antenna for the Jensen.

2018 T@B 400 (Rol@nd) towed by 2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax (C@lgon)
    Marceline said:
    jkjenn said:
    ecyfoto said:
    jkjenn said:

If it's for marine (boat) use it must be 12v. I guess they just assume buyers know that. 
    Actually, Furion makes 120vac marine entertainment equipment, so not all marine equipment is 12v.  

• LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    My 400 which was built on 21 Nov had a Jensen JWM70A Audio and a JTV24DC TV. No idea what the specs of the speakers in the 3 Zones are.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    My opinion is that the speaker placement in the T@B 320 is sub optimal since they are behind you when sitting on the settee.  We thought about upgrading them but didn't think there would be much of a gain given the placement.  We opted to get a Bose blue tooth speaker and user our iPhones.  We are only looking for background not an audiophile experience.  

In the 400, I don't know why in the bed area they put a single speak above the headboard.  I would rather have stereo speakers on either side of the TV.  If I were to order a 400 this would be one of the few things I would ask about.  
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

My opinion is that the speaker placement in the T@B 320 is sub optimal since they are behind you when sitting on the settee.  We thought about upgrading them but didn't think there would be much of a gain given the placement.  We opted to get a Bose blue tooth speaker and user our iPhones.  We are only looking for background not an audiophile experience.  

In the 400, I don't know why in the bed area they put a single speak above the headboard.  I would rather have stereo speakers on either side of the TV.  If I were to order a 400 this would be one of the few things I would ask about.  
    Is it a speaker or a soundbar?

@jkjenn, I am not sure what your are asking.  In the 400 in the sleeping compartment there is one round speaker that is mounted in the bulkhead that separates the bed from the closet.  The speaker is located high on the wall and this is the oppisite end of the bed from the TV.  I am wondering why they didn't mount a set of stereo speakers or a small sound bar at the TV.  This would give a much more enjoyable listening experience for movies or music while sitting in bed.

Did that answer your question?  If not check out this video between 6:45 and 7:28 it shows where the TV, the Jensen receiver and the speaker are each located in the bed area.  https://youtu.be/do5X44nJMbQ .

2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

@jkjenn, I am not sure what your are asking.  In the 400 in the sleeping compartment there is one round speaker that is mounted in the bulkhead that separates the bed from the closet.  The speaker is located high on the wall and this is the oppisite end of the bed from the TV.  I am wondering why they didn't mount a set of stereo speakers or a small sound bar at the TV.  This would give a much more enjoyable listening experience for movies or music while sitting in bed.

Did that answer your question?  If not check out this video between 6:45 and 7:28 it shows where the TV, the Jensen receiver and the speaker are each located in the bed area.  https://youtu.be/do5X44nJMbQ .

Yes, you did, thanks. A sound bar is usually oblong shaped and some of the new ones put out a great sound.

I was a bit surprised by the odd speaker placement in the 400, too. At least the speakers in the 320 are "stereo". I'd definitely consider hiding a 12v self contained sub somewhere and upgrading those 5 1/4s. The power output of the head unit(s) is soooo anemic. Even todays cars with standard audio systems offer far better sound. You reading this NuCamp? Could be a potential upgrade package. The HiFi Edition. You pride yourself on the uniqueness of your product but then you install the industry (sub) standard entertainment system. My two cents.
    Tampa, Florida
  • robptrobpt Member Posts: 90

I was thinking the same thing when I first saw this thread. I don't think any of the campers I have own had anything but a sub-optimal sound system and it should be considered, as they always seem to tout the speakers and DVD player in their ads (I don't care about Bluetooth, but it would be nice if a DVD player could handle high definition Blu ray). I was also baffled by the 400's speaker placement; I don't think it was done as a well thought out  acoustical design scheme, but maybe I'm wrong and hopefully I'll soon find out.

But sound  is something that I personally don't care that much about as, beyond watching an occasional movie, I don't tend to listen to music or watch TV when I am in the camper. I never use outside speakers because I don't want to ruin someone else's camping experience - besides that they sound terrible anyway. I don't personally enjoy trying to get away only to find myself in what feels like being in the middle of a loud apartment complex when camping; too much lighting and sound coming from everywhere. I have experienced too many nights at a camp ground where I have to turn on some sort of white noise to drown out the parties and loud talking going on into the night. Listening to a quiet conversation around a campfire is peaceful where the opposite is not. Why all the lights? I really try to get away from light pollution.

But still, I think someone who values good sound should have that option inside their camper.  It should be offered as an option and it should be designed according to the shape and acoustics of the camper.

North Florida T@B 400 towed by a 2014 Nissan Frontier
  • DProDPro Member Posts: 9
    We have picked up our TAB 400 in May and have camped in it every weekend in June and July.  the 24 inch tv and Jensen entertainment system is connected thru 1 HDMI port and there is no other HDMI HOOK UPS. FIRE BAN at all campgrounds up here in Ontario Canada. So we bring along streaming stick which I have downloads on. The TV SPEAKER IS NOT LOUD ENOUGH TO HEAR ever well. Does anyone have a solution? I bought a Hdmi switch so that I don't have to unhook HDMI every time to switch from tv to stick. Any suggestions would be helpful. Using the speakers would be great. I purchased Sony speaker that we hook up to headphone jack but it really isn't that much louder!
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Ya know, the speaker placement in my toy hauler is WORSE than the T@Bs. One speaker wasn't even working and I didn't notice. I re-crimped the wire when I figured out which one they used for that speaker. Ends up that the outside speakers are amazing! Some people out West may even have an outside TV where they can watch a campfire with sounds. I'm thinking of pulling out my television all together. The toy hauler has two places for televisions, but they didn't put any in. Everyone has different needs as far as what type of mount they need and size of television.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Our solution is a Bose SoundLink speaker and a long enough cord to reach the TV from where ever we wanted to place the speaker.  This will work with any TV with an ear phone jack which the Jensen has.  The SoundLink speaker  recharges from a usb cable and lasts for eight hours or so, at least when new.  Check out your local electronics store as there are many similar speaker at many price points.  We achieved much better sound quality and volume with this solution.

• BDA123BDA123 Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone come up with a decent expansion option for the TAB 400 audio/video input? I hate that it only has one HDMI but I don't want to disconnect it because it runs to the DVD player via ARC. Was thinking of adding an HDMI to VGA/Headphone/USB powered adapter. That should give me an additional powered HDMI into the TV. I will probably hook my phone to the HDMI via USB-C (or use a chromecast or apple tv) and see if I can stream video and broadcast my audio from my phone/tablet to my bluetooth speaker since is has far superior volume and base response. Then if I want sound outside I just take the speaker outside.

Trailer - 2018 Tab 400 with Solar
    TV - 2014 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab with bed rack/truck tent
    Adds - Jackit bike rack with tongue rectangular tool box