Options

Clamshell Bed Extension

We have the clamshell model and really like, but the bed is smaller than the non-clamshell.  I'm 6'1'' so laying width wise in the bed is a bit constraining and I'd really like to stretch out.  The bed is too short to lay length wise, so I'm contemplating some sort of bed extension.  One of my requirements is that it be easy to move out of the way to get in and out of the T@B and for my wife to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

My thought is to build some kind of drawer system.  You can get drawer slides to support upwards of 500 lbs.  I modeled up the idea and have included a youtube video of the animation.  It shows the interior of the T@B with a 4'' topper for the bed.  It's not a precise model, just a concept mock-up.  

https://youtu.be/HWBN1Q-GzZo 

I saw the "Tall Guy" mod post that does something similar.
http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/69381#Comment_69381 

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Michael

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    In 2016 @webcrawler offered his solution: I am 6'-4" and the only real issue I have is sleeping with me feet hanging off.  However, I found a great simple solution.  I go one of those cheap square food out foot stools from walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Furinno-Oxford-10060R1-Square-Foldable-Storage-Stool-Ottoman/38378250 

I set it up in front of the fridge and it is almost the same height as the bed.  However, we add a 2" memory foam topper to the bed so I put one of the side cushions on top of it and it is perfect.  Works out GREAT!!!!  No more dangling feet.  I also store my clothes inside of it at night.  We turn it upside down and use it as a table on the bench seats when the bed in not made...

P.S. Keeps wife from raiding the fridge at nights well!!!!

John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    SawtoothSawtooth Member Posts: 18
    Looks promising.  If nothing else I could try that out and see what other issues there might be to laying in that direction before committing to a more complicated solution.  My problem is also a lot worse than yours.  Your bed is 73" long lengthwise while the CS model is only 58".  So the bed basically ends at my knees.

Michael
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    I think someone else added a fold down shelf that they padded with a cushion.  It was easy to collapse and stow.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    edited February 2018
    Sawtooth said:
    We have the clamshell model and really like, but the bed is smaller than the non-clamshell.  I'm 6'1'' so laying width wise in the bed is a bit constraining and I'd really like to stretch out.  The bed is too short to lay length wise, so I'm contemplating some sort of bed extension.  One of my requirements is that it be easy to move out of the way to get in and out of the T@B and for my wife to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

My thought is to build some kind of drawer system.  You can get drawer slides to support upwards of 500 lbs.  I modeled up the idea and have included a youtube video of the animation.  It shows the interior of the T@B with a 4'' topper for the bed.  It's not a precise model, just a concept mock-up.  

https://youtu.be/HWBN1Q-GzZo 

I saw the "Tall Guy" mod post that does something similar.
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/69381#Comment_69381 

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Michael
    You won’t be able to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    The thought is that the drawer can be easily pushed in to access the bathroom in the middle of the night.
  • Options
    SaskTabbySaskTabby Member Posts: 19
    I've got the same problem and have been intending to implement a similar solution.  

Key on my requirements list is to be able to get into the bathroom.  More specifically, so my wife can get into the bathroom without waking me up!  One option might be to divide the pull-out section in half so the half closest to the bathroom could be pushed in without disturbing the half furthest away.  

We we currently use bedding rather than sleeping bags so that could pose an additional set of problems with this solution.
  • Options
    @SaskTabby if you implement something, let me know.  I guess I don't mind if I wake up when the wife uses the bathroom, but if you have that requirement splitting the drawer would probably be fine.

As for the bedding issue, I don't know yet how that is going to work.  We actually use bags now, but intend to switch to bedding now that we have a topper.  We'll likely put fitted sheets around the main bed and the extender separately then just use a loose sheet and duvet cover.  We'll see how that works.

I likely won't start fabrication of the drawer until April sometime.  My father in law has all the woodworking tools (and talent) but he lives in Spokane while I'm in Boise.  So I'm waiting for the next opportunity to make it up there.

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Hey @Sawtooth, Hook up your T@B, head out Thursday, or Friday for Spokane. I have electrical hookups available for driveway parking. Drop your T@B of at your father-in-laws, attend the SpoT@B breakfast, and you can get your mods done, & meet some nice folks all at the same time. Just a thought! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    @ericnliz it's a great thought, thanks for the offer.  Unfortunately I can't make it this weekend.  Of course we're set for a place to stay with the in-laws, but it did occur to me that I should coordinate the trip so we could attend one of these (im?)famous SpoT@B breakfasts.  Hopefully we can make that work.

We had booked a site at Fort Worden for the T@B gathering last year, and were excited to meet people, but had to bail at the last minute due to work.  It was too late to cancel the site so we ate the cost.  So right now we're 0/1 on T@B gathering attempts.
  • Options
    @Sawtooth,

Yes, let's keep in touch about this. 

I am probably going to wait until May or so for my attempt.  The T@B should be free of the snow by then.
  • Options
    Found this and thought that the passenger side under bench area with the little door as you enter the Tab may accommodate this idea for a bed extension.  Think it could work?

• Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    I don’t feel smart enough to translate this to the T@B lol! Can you explain?

SAM said:
    Found this and thought that the passenger side under bench area with the little door as you enter the Tab may accommodate this idea for a bed extension.  Think it could work?

2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    @ColleenD2, someone who is tall will not fit in the clamshell sleeping wheel to wheel as it is designed to be used.  So, this is a mod that will lengthen the clamshell bed sleeping back to front.  All the 320 Tabs have a door just to the left as you enter the Tab that opens up to storage under the passenger side bench.  If you take the door off the hinges and fashion a drawer, you can pull out the drawer and lay a cushion on top for a tall person to extend their feet/legs.  This does block the door, but other people just use a collapsible, padded footstool.  Hope this helps.
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    Oh my gosh! It does! Thanks.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Work has begun.

I really liked Sawtooth's idea, probably because it was very similar to what I had already planned.  Unfortunately it seems the existing front bench is already too high relative to the bed.  Adding the mechanisms to be able to pull out the bed would make things worse.  The next problem is that the bench is too narrow relative to the space between the bench and the existing bed.  I am not sure it would be possible to find glides to span the gap.  It might be possible to address all these issues, but it was starting to look like it would require rebuilding the front bench.

I really the simplicity of SAM's suggestion.  Unfortunately both my wife and I require a bed extension.  Therefore we need it to be wider than just the passenger-side bench.  

I think there is a workable hybrid solution.  In general:
    1) Modify the front bench to have drawers rather than cupboards.  I figure this will be beneficial even if the bed doesn't work out.
    2) Replace the existing single front bench cushion with two cushions.  Each cushion will have a 1/2" plywood base. 
    3) Replace the front-most bed filler piece (i.e. the ones from the factory that sit against the folding table to form the base of the bed) with one made of 3/4" plywood.  It will be just a bit larger than the existing piece and therefore also the existing bed cushions.

When the bed is needed the drawers (1) will be pulled out to act as supports for the split cushions (2).  The driver side cushion will be supported by the drawer and the replacement bed filler piece (3) .  The passenger side cushion will be supported by a drawer and front-most edge of the passenger side (i.e. kitchen table) bench.  The underside of the cushions will have wood strapping to ensure they don't slide off their supports.

Because the cushions are split and the drawers may be closed independently my wife may make her nightly bathroom runs without interrupting my vital beauty sleep.

Assuming this all works, point 4 of the master plan will be build an additional cupboard unit to sit on top of the front bench.   It will provide a counter top, a little bit more storage, and house the split cushions when they are not being used for the bed.  

My father and I are just starting on point 1.  I've included some pictures below.  I will keep you posted on progress, unless everything goes sideways in which case I may deny that I ever started this project!

• Options
    edited May 2018
    “ Replace the front-most bed filler piece (i.e. the ones from the factory that sit against the folding table to form the base of the bed) with one made of 3/4" plywood.  It will be just a bit larger than the existing piece and therefore also the existing bed cushions.”

What year Tab do you have?  What kind of a bed slat did the factory provide?
  • Options
    @SaskTabby looks like a good start, thanks for sharing.  Of course you're right about the height of the drawer relative to the bed.  I've been struggling with that as well which is why I haven't started the project myself.  Instead I've created an interim solution to try out the sleeping orientation before committing to anything major.  I'm looking forward to seeing your solution take shape.  I hope it works as intended.
  • Options
    I believe it it is a 2016.  I do not have the lagun table.  There are two slats finished similar to the table top that fill the gaps between the benches on either side of the table when it is lowered.  I’ll try to get a picture.

The pictures below show our progress.  Both drawers are in.  We have mocked things up using the old cushion and a couple of pieces of plywood that are the general size of the new cushions.  We are testing how the wood strips on the bottom of the plywood will “hook” onto the revised table slat and passenger-side bench.  So far it looks very promising.

• Options
    We camped for the first time using the prototype. 

Overall it worked very well.  I slept very comfortably (YES!) and my wife was able to get to the bathroom by just removing her side of the bed extension.  The drawers are also a very nice upgrade.

On the downside:
    • It is a bit awkward for my wife to move the cushions in and out of position, partially because the cushions are a bit heavy due to the plywood base and partially because we hang our jackets from the bathroom door and they get in the way.    
    • We are still shuffling our possessions on and off the cushions when we assemble and disassemble the bed, though this is easier with two small cushions than one large one.   This should be addressed when we build the front cupboard+counter.  
    • The bedding was also an issue as we just use sheets and it was hard to keep our feet consistently covered.  However I believe this may be addressed by sowing together the bottom of the sheets.

Below are some pictures of the prototype.  I did not fully assemble the factory bed portion because of other things I had in the T@B.  For the cushions we used fabric that we had on hand and the final version will likely be changed to something that matches better.  We did not bother to put fabric on the small piece of foam we are using to ensure a friction fit of the cushions when they are on the bench. We intentionally bought foam which made the cushions an inch or so higher than the factory bed as we put a foam topper on the factory bed.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    How about a loop of nylon strap screwed to the bottom of each Cushion (like the loop on the seat cushion on the sofa) so your wife just has to pull up on the loop? That would be easier than slipping her hands under the cushion to lift it up.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    That is a great idea, Verna! 

Not only will it be easier to lift, but it should make it easier for her to reach the cushion from the factory bed.  

I will play around with different placements of the loop to see what works best.  

Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Sawtooth, that's the hive mind at work solving problems, and one of the many reasons we visit here. Go V!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Just wondering if there’s a material that’s lighter than plywood to use as a seat bottom. It would need to be strong enough to sit on for the bench seating, but lighter to move than the plywood to gain access to the bath. Diamond plate would be thinner though, and the fabric would be at risk. Ok. Some of us hivers have more imagination than common sense. 😬
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    MDF?  Can you get bamboo in sheets?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited June 2018
    MDF is not as water resistant as plywood, and MDF might actually weigh more....or so it seems to me the few times I worked with it. 

Plywood is is actually about the best, and least expensive, for this application. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    “Heavy” might have been the wrong word. The cushion  is easy to move when you have your body reasonably positioned.  And for the most part it is being slid along other surfaces.  It is more a matter of being forced into awkward positions / stretches when moving it.  Imagine transferring it from the bench to the “bed position” while sitting fully on the factory bed.

So I am hoping that a correctly placed loop or two will solve the issue.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    May I recommend Travel Johns? I have converted more than one female to use these at night if there is an obstacle in the way to the restroom.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RogerLRogerL Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2018
    How about removing the bathroom door and replacing it with a shower curtain? That way, there'd be no need to move the cushion.
    2018 T@B 320CS-S, 2018 GMC Canyon SLT
    Urbana, MD
  • Options
    I had considered the curtain rod and will probably try it.  But I would be a bit concerned about putting our full weight on the cushions/drawers.  They seem strong enough but over time I think something would break.