Options

Options & Customizing- is there a secret handshake?

We are close to custom ordering our T@B 320 CS (not cs-s) but for the life of me, I don’t see any kind of list of possible options or customizing that should or can be done from the manufacturer. It’s like I have to look at 500 different models and play “what do they have that some don’t.” I don’t want to miss anything. Ha! Any suggestions of a one stop looking shop? Any ideas about things I should ask for? Can’t miss items or mods? Thanks! This is a dream come true. I have wanted a T@B forever, since I saw one on The a Price is Right years and years ago.
2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
Custom Colors & Custom Interior
We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    No secrets.  Some things are not listed as options, but nuCamp may do them for a price.  In our 2017 CSS, we requested the white sofitel style counters and Lagun table, a MaxxAir fan, eliminated the USBs, added 12 volt sockets and 120 outlets, had a battery monitor installed, added lights to the galley area, had an outside Lagun mount placed, planned for a larger battery so the front tub was off set, and had an ARB and flush counter installed in the galley.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited April 2018
    You can choose not to have any televisions, add a microwave, delete the air conditioner, add roof mounted solar panels, a pitched axle like the Boondock and bigger wheels for traveling over rougher roads-that raises the kitchen higher though. 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @ColleenD2, with all of the customizations we've seen coming from the factory, NuCamp seems to be willing to go where your imagination and bank account can take you. If you have a willing and cooperative dealer, most requests can be worked out. Now, the secret handshake, that's just between us t@b owners!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @ColleenD2 If you haven’t already done so, give a look at the for sale T@Bs as some note the extras their trailers include.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    My dealer just said, “They can do whatever you want.” Not really helpful since I’d never seen a T@B before. After lurking here a while, I figured out that I ordered my trailer with a Maxxair Maxxfan, an Outback/Boondock front rack and metal propane tub, a front window, outside shower, and solid gray upholstery. Would not have known about those things if I hadn’t seen them here. I’d say the best thing is take your time and look at current trailers and mods here and on the Facebook pages.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Some people have added extra 12v or USB under the rear cabinets, outdoor showers, vent covers, different fans, different upholstery, custom body or trim colors, battery monitors with shunts, and other such items.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    Myself I did only one custom upgrade when I ordered, Fantastic fan to series 7000 (7350). Reason, those models have a way lower amp draw than what is installed normally. So if Boondocking is in your future, less amp draw on the battery could be an item to consider. But these are also an easy upgrade after the fact.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    BTW, I was told by my dealer, any option or changes might be able to be requested before the unit was online being built, depending on what was wanted to be done or changed. I changed my fan way after I ordered the 400 but before the build was started.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Options
    LSkrabut said:
    Myself I did only one custom upgrade when I ordered, Fantastic fan to series 7000 (7350). Reason, those models have a way lower amp draw than what is installed normally. So if Boondocking is in your future, less amp draw on the battery could be an item to consider. But these are also an easy upgrade after the fact.
    Good call. I did the same and it was totally worth it. I was able to run it as much as I wanted during the summer I spent in CO. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Darn @ericnliz, the secret handshake has been busted. We have to tell all now! The secret password was "Amazon Prime". The secret handshake was showing up at the NW breakfast and meeting all the cool people there (or just hear about the good food they eat while enjoying good company). WE'VE BEEN OUTED! hehehehe. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Ratkity, WE STILL have some secrets...and I'll choose not to elaborate! =):o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I dunno @ericnliz, I'm feeling the pressure. I might break under it! :rofl:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    TemporadasTemporadas Member Posts: 2
    We, too, are a little confused on options. We just visited our local dealer after trying to do as much research as possible before purchasing. When we asked about possible modifications on a 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, he said the only choices were to delete TV or A/C, add outdoor table pole, solar and outside storage compartment. He told us nothing else was possible. Not especially helpful from what we've read here, but his price was about 2-4K lower than what we've seen listed elsewhere. His take on the 2019 model was that they are only adding a Boondock Lite (with a less rugged spare ) and a Boondock Xtra (beefed up outdoor lighting).
  • Options
    Make a list of what you want and ask the dealer to specifically speak with nuCamp.  The pat answer tends to be “no can do.”
  • Options
    @Temporadas, I'd like to reiterate my earlier statement that IF you have a cooperative and willing dealer, NuCamp seems willing to go where your imagination and bank account can take you. However, if you were to order something now, the wait may be long, as spring is the heavy gear up time for maximum production. A possibility for that dealers lower prices may be the amount of effort the dealer is willing to expend. I can't say. How soon do you want a trailer? How customized do you want it? Colors, cabinets, no kitchen? All of these questions open up a realm of possibilities. Good luck in whatever you decide.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    Thanks. I am honestly having a heck of a time getting a dealer to even respond. It’s pretty disappointing. I’ve tried 2 now. Maybe they don’t make as much off a custom order?

• Options
    ColleenD2 said:
    Thanks. I am honestly having a heck of a time getting a dealer to even respond. It’s pretty disappointing. I’ve tried 2 now. Maybe they don’t make as much off a custom order?
    Not a good sign. If they are not responsive during the sales process, they will likely be worse during after the sale.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ColleenD2, try calling Gerton Auto Sales in Mount Vernon, Indiana. John is located in the Southwest corner of Indiana near Illinois and Kentucky, not that far from you. 

If John can’t do it, he will be honest with you and tell you. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thank you! We will contact him.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    @ColleenD2, my sentiments mirror @jkjenn's. When l decided I had to own a t@b, I started looking. Called a local franchise of a huge dealer company with locations in several states. When I asked if they had a t@b to view, they said yes. When we got there, they had a used silver shadow. They were so uniformed and unfamiliar and unwilling to learn, I was hugely disappointed. The salesman actually asked me why I wanted a t@b and then promptly answered his own question by telling me I didn't want one because they cost $50,000 dollars and you get nothing. I excused myself and never went back. Unfortunately only that huge company and one tiny independent dealer was selling them in Michigan at the time. I had to drive nearly 150 miles to another branch of the same huge entity to order my trailer. They were also not interested in the t@b product. They didn't know about models, options, availability etc. But I really had no choice. So I armed myself with as much information as I could and ordered from them. They insisted on several thousand dollars as a deposit, and happily took my money on 12/01/15 and I asked for a delivery date of 04/01/16. I kept checking on the progress of my trailer build, and kept being told everything was fine, but I had a funny feeling. I called the factory the first week of February 2016, and found that no such order had been placed. I had to threaten legal involvement just to get the oder placed. I love my t@b, but the day I took delivery I vowed never to go back to that or any of their locations. I have found informed, interested and caring dealerships since then, but none of them sell t@bs. I would still trust them to service my t@b if I ever need it. Keep trying to find a dealer you feel comfortable with, who will expend the time and energy to meet your needs. You pay for their service when you purchase your trailer. Owning a t@b is definitely worth the time and effort. You may have to travel some distance to find a more cooperative dealer, or just order it, buy it and drive away. Whatever path you choose, if your end goal to own a t@b is achieved, it's worth the effort. And, I trust @Verna's advice. -Denise
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    The small independant dealer you mention was a joy to work with and had the lowest prices in the nation.  Too bad he was nixed by Nucamp when the big, multi state dealer signed on.  I, personally, despise the big multi state dealer and refuse to do business with them.

IMO, customization is nice, but it seems they go up for sale pretty quickly.  
  • Options
    Here is the form he finally sent me for the CS. Except I am not sure what it all means exactly. Like if I want the whole thing a custom color is that covered by exterior base? I hope so. I’d like to choose my trim color too. His check marks, not mine as I think I want a colored front box but I do want the solar. Do I need certifications? Do I need that exterior lagune bracket or do we just get a fold up table. Does anyone buy extended warranty? We are absolutely not handy, an artist married to an artist. We can paint you a lovely picture of a light switch but couldn’t change one out for you. I don’t want to screw this up. Hahaha 

• Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    edited April 2018
    Right now, it looks as if your exterior colors are white with white trim.  If you want a different color combination, you need to select for it.

Other options you have chosen is the exterior lagun bracket-one could take it or leave it.  I don't have it, yet in purchased an additional bracket for the outside and never installed it.  A $20 folding table works fine and gives me flexibility in seating arrangement.

As for the roof solar option, this is a bit tricky.  How do you camp- boondock or plugged in?  Will you park in full sun or seek shadier spots?  I have a 120v suitcase which works great for me.  I can park in the shade and put the panels in the sun, as the cord is 15' long.  However, many times I park in full sun, so the rooftop option would have worked well, too.   However, the suitcase solar can be used in a subsequent RV if I ever decide I need something bigger.

As for the Outback platform, it is a nice upgrade, especially if additional storage is needed and your tow vehicle can handle the increased tongue weight.  

I run an almost stock 320 with minimal customization.  It suits me perfectly.  Many others seem to gain much pleasure in their modifications, and their creativity knows no bounds.  Others buy into a lot of upgrades at purchase.  When I see a nearly new 320 for sale with upgraded cushions, Outback platform, PaHaque accessories, and other such options, it begs the question of whether the purchaser knew what sort of camping they liked, or even if the small size of the 320 was appropriate for their needs.

Sorry for the long post.  Hope this helps.

• Options
    Right now it looks like he marked an all white trailer with white trim.  If you want your top and sides a custom color, I would mark Exterior Base Color “ Custom Request” and the tbd - to be determined would cost a lot extra.  Otherwise, the top and sides come in a standard white or silver.  Same thing with a custom Exterior Trim Color, except the front tub typically matches the trim unless you arrange for a different color or the Outback tub.  Are you sure you want the colored tub with the silver diamond Outback platform?  The silver tub is larger than the plastic, colored tub.  Also, if you get the mounted solar, you must park in the sun.  The optional exterior Lagun bracket is useful if you want to use your inside table outside - we do that when our bed remains set up.  You can always use a different table outside or add it later after you have camped.  The provided table does not fold up.  It has a bracket that mounts to the rear wall, a support bar and a swivel top that locks in various positions.  Rare Tabber with an extended warranty.  NuCamp builds quality and stands behind their products.  Good luck!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ColleenD2, call John and ask him. He can explain it to you in terms you understand. If you two can do it, make an appointment with him and go talk to him. He’ll show you. If you don’t understand him, ask. There’s always two answers to a question—yes, or no.

An extended warranty? I wouldn’t, even though this appears to be offered by the factory.  The “one year from date of purchase” warranty works well for most owner’s.

After the first year, you do need to get your wheel bearings serviced every year. Find a utility trailer business with a good name and keep going back to them if they are good. Have them check your brakes, too. Every two years have your glycol for your Alde drained and replaced. Please do keep a gallon of glycol and go learn how to keep it at the correct level. Check your tires for wear and look for advice here on what to look for. If something doesn’t feel right or act right, get it looked at by someone who does this for a living. 

I would get the outside Lagun table mount, even though I don’t use it much. It’s there for a table that doesn’t touch the ground and get dirty. And it has a mount inside to move it to. 

There’s lots of advice here, and if you don’t feel confident to do the maintenance yourself, there’s always a good business who will be happy to help you. I refuse to do my wheel bearings—that’s me. You can paint, I wish I could!  I would get a wrap for your T@B rather than painting it, though ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    If you get the Outback platform you might consider the Outback tub too. I am glad to have it since it holds a larger group 27 battery and has space for all our chocks, stabilizer pads, and leveling blocks.

What do they mean by “roof/hatch paint options”?
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    I might suggest getting the side baggage door. (It allows you to access some storage from outside the trailer). It's small, but I love mine. I can put my folding chair and mat and tool kit through, plus the long handled stabilizer thing to raise/lower the stabilizers.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Also, I was under the impression that the external Lagun bracket and the side baggage door are standard now.
  • Options
    I think the clamshell outside baggage door only acesses the rear of the passenger bench compartment.  
  • Options
    This is all SO helpful. You bring up things I haven’t thought about. For me, I really need/want it to be cute and darling first and foremost. Hahaha I am aiming for bright custom colors even if it costs more. Because of want the clamshell, I’d like the front box to be a color just to have more brightness. For my husband, it’s a roof over his head and he doesn’t want to have to do any work. We are travelers more than campers although we sometimes camp for 5 days or so and sprocket out in the car seeing things we want to see. We aren’t really hang around the campground folks unless it’s a place for him to draw or paint or explore archeology junk. I love to visit wonderful things like the worlds largest ball of twine or the worlds largest underpants and weird museums. We will be towing with a Ford Escape with a max loaded trailer weight of 3,500 and max tongue load of 350. The tow package says it has:

Trailer Wiring Harness (4-Pin) I think I need a 7 though right? 
    Hitch Receiver
    Trailer Sway Control
    Paddle Shifters
    Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler

You are helping me think that side baggage door would be helpful for setup upon arrival.

Verna, I will call John this week. At this second, our travels are on hold. My husband slipped on wet stairs at the Fox Theatre in St. Louis and ruptured his quadriceps on 4/14/18 and had to have emergency surgery. Ugh. We were planning on heading to NuCamp for a tour the week after Memorial Day, now he can’t un-straighten his bionic-man-braced-leg for 6-8 weeks and will be in PT for a year. We still plan on ordering our T@B before the ‘19s start production and hope to take a lot of weekend getaways as we can. We were really hoping to be T@Bing for 2 weeks in the Southwest around thanksgiving but we will see what our options are.