Options

Options & Customizing- is there a secret handshake?

2»

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @ColleenD2, sorry to hear about your husband's injury. Hope all turns out well. But, trying to order before the 2019 production run may have escaped you. I believe they start new model year production very near the first of April, or slightly thereafter. That is, I took delivery of my 2017 model year t@b on May 14, 2016. My trailer was built in April 2016. So the 2019 models should already be on the production line. But order anyway, it can't hurt to have a one year newer trailer. Best wishes!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited April 2018
    @ColleenD2, I'm so sorry for your hubby!! Well wishes and speedy recovery to him. Sounds like you can still go T@BBing, he'll be the backseat driver and camp-chair setup man lol. Many of us single women (and married ones at that!) set up camp by ourselves. You can set it up with full glamp too :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,450
    @CollenD2, yes, for full function you will need to upgrade to a 7-pin trailer connector on your Escape.

A 4-pin connector is only for operating exterior trailer lights. A 7-pin will add electronic breaking and battery charging capability. Chances are these additional circuits will also need to be added when the connector is upgraded.

I hope DH recovers quickly and you can salvage some travel plans!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Does the CS320s have electric brakes? If the trailer (loaded) exceeds anywhere from 1000-1500#, the law in your State may require you have that 7-pin connector to use the electric brakes. 

A long time ago (in a place far, far away) I towed a Coleman Williamsburg camper with a Mitsubishi manual 5-speed tiny truck (4 cyl). My TV was underpowered and I was a newbie camper owner. Of course, there was an accident as a guy cut in front of me at 60 mph while everyone else (and me) was slowing down to 30 due to construction (btw, it had just started raining - could the setup be worse?). He totaled his own Mazda small truck and the big truck ahead of him. I escaped from being the last vehicle in the mess by sliding up PAST the accident on the wet grassy median. I swear, the electric brakes on the trailer stopped me faster than my own truck brakes and I still went beyond the entire thing. In my own newbie camper brain, I thanked the mechanic at the dealership for installing a 6-pin on the little truck (early 1990s) and having the electric brakes working on the trailer. 

A very long story to help you decide in favor of getting that 7-pin connector.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    SAM said:
    No secrets.  Some things are not listed as options, but nuCamp may do them for a price.  In our 2017 CSS, we requested the white sofitel style counters and Lagun table, a MaxxAir fan, eliminated the USBs, added 12 volt sockets and 120 outlets, had a battery monitor installed, added lights to the galley area, had an outside Lagun mount placed, planned for a larger battery so the front tub was off set, and had an ARB and flush counter installed in the galley.  
    Hi Sam, 
    I am still working on this and have taken all of your suggestions except the one I don’t understand is why no USB? I’ve seen some comments that it is a phantom drain on the battery. Is that why? And where did you add 120 outlets?
    Thanks,
    Colleen
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    Ratkity said:
    Does the CS320s have electric brakes? If the trailer (loaded) exceeds anywhere from 1000-1500#, the law in your State may require you have that 7-pin connector to use the electric brakes. 

Sorry I missed this post before. I am pretty sure they all have electric brakes but I put out a tweet to NüCamp to ask just in case. Your story is scary and I am glad you are ok! Wow. So if the Ford dealer ships with a 4 pin, I understand a 7 pin converter won’t work and won’t recharge the battery. Sorry to sound uninformed but how do I get a 7 pin installed from the vehicle? I wonder if Ford can do that from the factory. We are ordering the vehicle I think because most dealers don’t seem to carry the full tow package near us. Do you think I need 4 wheel drive? That is another choice that I didn’t know if it mattered for a trailer. Thanks again all for your advice.

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    ColleenD2 said:
    Ratkity said:

Sorry I missed this post before. I am pretty sure they all have electric brakes but I put out a tweet to NüCamp to ask just in case. Your story is scary and I am glad you are ok! Wow. So if the Ford dealer ships with a 4 pin, I understand a 7 pin converter won’t work and won’t recharge the battery. Sorry to sound uninformed but how do I get a 7 pin installed from the vehicle? I wonder if Ford can do that from the factory. We are ordering the vehicle I think because most dealers don’t seem to carry the full tow package near us. Do you think I need 4 wheel drive? That is another choice that I didn’t know if it mattered for a trailer. Thanks again all for your advice.

I'm too sure about what you can get from the ford factory.  If it is only 4-pin, both your Ford dealer and your RV dealer should be able to upgrade your vehicle to 7-pin without issue.  It's not complicated for a mechanic.  I'd probably try to work with the Ford dealer though, just so they don't try to blame any possible issues or warranty claims on the work of others. 

If you need 4 wheel drive or not depends on where you plan to camp.

In the last 12 months, I can think of at least 5 times I used 4x4 on my truck when parking or towing my trailer.

1.  Backing up over rocky terrain on our campsite.  In 2wd I was getting wheel spin.  I could have used momentum, or parked differently, but 4x4 allowed me to gently place the trailer right where I wanted it.

2.  Pulling into our site, forward, up hill, over large roots.  Again, wheels spun in 2wd.  I did not want to use momentum, and bounce the trailer over the big roots. 

3.  Winter camping.  Park roads were icy.  'nuff said.

4.  Winter camping.  Our site had around 10" of snow.  Without 4x4, our trailer would have stayed stuck there for a long time.  Did not even try to move it with 2wd.

5.  Loose sand.  Just this past weekend, our site was loose sand.  I wanted to get some leveling blocks under the one wheel of the T@b.  In 2wd, the rear wheels spun, and sunk into the sand, not quite pulling the trailer onto the blocks.  No problem with 4x4.

That's my use and experience.  Some people just tow into big RV parks, with firm roads, and asphalt pads to park their trailers on.   You don't need 4 wheel drive for that.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    @ColleenD2 we special ordered a few things on our 2017 320S. A few things come standard now as of 2018. We got the exterior lagun mount but have never used it. I use a small roll top table and it’s the right size for my needs. It may help for resale some day. I did not want the side hatch for a few reasons. First, accessing the hatch depends on what you have stored there. My bedding is there. And doesn’t need outside access. All my tools are under the passenger side seat/wheel well to the left inside the door. It’s also another thing to maintain on the Tab. I’ve never missed it. One thing I wish I knew about was the split rear seat back. It would be a lot handier to have either a 50/50 or 2/3-1/3 split. That would make accessing the space behind the Alde on the drivers side fully accessible.  All that said, I’m still loving my Tab 320S, and still having fun with mods! I don’t regret my purchase for a moment! Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    @ColleenD2, the elimination of the USBs was strictly to prevent phantom drain, but, per the forum, some folks have had to replace their USB outlets as they wear out/go bad.  We had extra 12 volt outlets installed and we use an adapter to charge devices via USB.  Since we have no entertainment package, our phantom drain is only the CO2/LP detector.  We added a 110 outlet above the front counter on the wall with the SeeLevel and one in the galley for our ARB.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thank you! That’s exactly what I was thinking Sam.

• Options
    rkj__ We plan on winter camping, Boondocking, yard mooching off family farm and are paying for the boondock axle. I just checked and it seems 4 wheel drive isn’t much more for us so I think I will just do it. Thanks.

• Options
    Homebodyatheart Side door hatch is standard now but the mount isn’t. Originally I wasn’t going to order it for the same reasons you said. It cost more not to get it now. Hahaha

I think we are going to skip the mount and get a small folding table. Being that we will have a clamshell kitchen I don’t think we will use that for prep and probably don’t want to be tethered to the trailer to eat.

And no back seat for us to split. We get side benches only and am going to keep them whole. We are sending fabric up to Nucamp and I am most excited about that! I don’t think they do the split on those anymore but I can’t see us using the twin bed feature some people do. The CS bed is smaller compared to non CS. I wish we had the extra space but not more than I wish we had an outside kitchen.

It’s funny, I try not to think about resale. I find when I do, I want to hold back. I am hoping to run this baby into the ground one day years and years and years from now but who knows. I am so so so excited! I have the order written up, just waiting now. I say that but then I see one more thing we need include, like the battery monitor. Keep all the tips coming please!

• Options
    edited June 2018
    @ColleenD2 well, since you asked... I do  majority of my cooking outside, because for me that is camping. However I wanted flexibility and options so I went with the 320S. When I camp alone without DH, which I do fairly frequently and camp with other women, I have the ability to stay fully contained inside if I want.

I forgot to add that I asked my dealer to exchange the 24 battery for a 27 and I paid the difference. They also modified the mounting bracket as the 27 is larger, but still fits well in the front tub. I’ve been happy with it. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    I LOVE YOUR SETUP!! It is soooo soooo sooo cute!

• Options
    Are those ladybug weights?

• Options
    And putting the battery on my list. I honestly have no idea what any of this means but I wrote this note for my dealer from info I got on here. 

Someone said we need Dual deep cycle batteries with 290 amp hours of total capacity, is that true? Boondocking some. Get a real deep cycle AGM or gel type Deep-Cycle battery from a known good brand like Deka or Crown for example.”

• Options
    Homebodyatheart I also love your ice maker. That has been ordered.

What portable fire pit is that? Is that a little red campfire? That is on the list and I was debating between that and Outland Fire bowl which is bigger but I learned today there is an optional cooktop for the little red. I like that and the fake logs. We tent camp a lot of places where they are at Stage 1 burn ban.

and I like your white tube. Does that hold your hoses? I wonder if I need that if we don’t have a bathroom.

I have a closet slowly filling with must haves so the minute it arrives and my Amazon list is getting longer. Hahaha worth it!

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Deka and Crown are ge really known as starting batteries and you do not want a starting battery. Make sure you get true deep cycle batteries. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Thank you. So much to learn! Striking that from the list.

• Options
    @ColleenD2, any Uhaul place can install a 7-pin. There's a caveat below. It would be odd if the Ford factory would only install a 4-pin without the 7-pin because it's a one-piece set on all the new Ford vehicles.

You need to be VERY careful with Fords with regards to adding brake controllers and the 7-pin. They have two positive wires in the harness and connecting the wrong one can cause the brake controller to pop and smoke! Ask me how I know?

Good thing I wasn't installing it and it wasn't my truck (t'was my baby sister's). I've never seen two people bail out of a truck so fast at the RV dealership (sis and salesman). lol. No harm, no foul. New controller and a few growls from the salesman to the tech (because seemed everyone knows Fords needs a special touch). Very odd you can't find a set up with a tow package. Guess I live in an area where there are too many boaters :)
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @ColleenD2 awww thanks! I love my set up, too. The ladybugs are plastic stepping stones I bought forever ago when DD was little. I put them by the stakes so people stop and don't run into the lines. So far it's worked well!

Yes, the white PVC tube is for my sewer hose. I love my indoor plumbing at night!

I love my Little Red Campfire! I bought a smaller propane tank for it that I can tote around. I looked at bigger ones, but when you crank this up it puts out a lot of heat, and if it's under an awning that holds the heat in well, even in pouring rain. Because it’s on a short pedestal it doesn’t melt the plastic rv rug, either! I also like that I can have a fire in the morning and turn it off with no embers or coals to worry about! You can find them for a slight discount around RV show time. I did get a good deal on Amazon last year (March/April?). I haven't seen the cooking attachment...oh Amazon.....!

BTW, if you don't have it already, Amazon Prime might be your new best friend for trailer goodies.

@Ratkity I read somewhere that UHaul guarantees the part, but not their installation, and have read some horror stories. If that's true, I'd be very leery about going there. Of course many have had good luck there. I'd just ask questions...

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Converting a 4-pin to a 7 is not too difficult. I did it on my first Sport Trac. I bought a four-pin to 7-pin adapter, bolted it to my hitch frame, then ran a separate charge line with isolator and fuse to my battery. I have surge brakes on my T@B, so didn't need to run the wiring for the brake controller. There is a wireless brake controller that will not need any extra wiring.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    I know you want to order soon, but if you get a chance, try going to a T@B rally/gathering. The T@B facebook groups have them listed all the time, and all over the country. Maybe even drop by and visit the UCamp rally in July, and take a factory tour. Folks love to show off their T@Bs. That way you can see what folks have had done custom, what folks have done themselves, and take tons of notes and pictures. Then as Verna said, go see John Gerton, and you will soon have the exact T@B you want.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Even without a bath, you will want a sewer line to dump your sink water either at your campsite sewer or at a dump station.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL