Options

Need ideas - I hate the shelf in my fridge!

Title says it all - what is up with the goofy zigzag in this thing? Makes it hard to utilize eve space to its fullest (see pic). I think for my purposes a shelf that goes straight across would work much better.

Any ideas where I can get a shelf that fits, or how I could make something?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Photomom, you could just slide the rack out and use one more plastic bin on the right. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Amazon - search folding wire shelf.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    @Photomom, I ziptied a piece of plexi to the vertical section of the shelf. It extends above the upper shelf to create a lip that increase the functionality of the silly upper shelf and keeps food from falling down against the cooling fins. (We use plastic bins, too.)

I think my shelf my be positioned differently than yours as well. As I'm sure you are aware, the shelf can be rotated and raised or lowered if needed.

I realize this doesn't quite answer your question. I suppose if I couldn't find a wire shelf that fit all the way across I'd try making my own out of another piece of stiff plexi. I'm not sure if a solid shelf would cause a problem with air flow, but I doubt it.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @ScottG, that was my first thought - air flow. But that's an easy fix. Drill 3/4" to 1" holes evenly spaced in the shelf (but don't compromise it's holding power). I'd use a thick piece of plexi. Remember, cutting plexi causes heat build-up and can make a drill or saw get stuck in gummy plexiglass. Take your time, allow the drill bit or saw blade to cool off. Tape off the area to cut before starting your cutting or drilling.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I agree, @Ratkity--that's probably what I would do if I resorted to a solid shelf.

However, even without the holes the space provided by the door shelf likely provides for whatever limited airflow is needed.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    What I ended up doing was buying a cabinet shelf from BBB and cutting off the legs with a hacksaw and file so it will fit in the fridge. Will give that a try on our next camping trip and see if I like it. Will need to monitor the cut ends for rust and possibly coat them with the plastic dip stuff.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/salt-cabinet-shelf-in-white/3283786?poc=222248
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Photomom  These might fit, of course you’d have a lifetime supply.  https://tinyurl.com/ydfa5gy7
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    @Photomom, what size are each of those bins and where did you get them?  It seems that will be a solution for my refrigerator storage!
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    @Photomom, what size are each of those bins and where did you get them?  It seems that will be a solution for my refrigerator storage!
    The brand is Interdesign and I got them at BBB (take coupons!) You want the CABINET BINZ, NOT the fridge binz which are too long. Amazon has them too.

I also got a Fridge Binz egg container that holds 12 eggs in 3x4 configuration. Regular 2x6 egg containers are too long.

I used the binz last summer and they did a great job of keeping the fridge organized. You can get cheaper containers but I liked that I can see what’s in these and they’re made of food safe plastic.
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Thanks!!
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    'Dem's some nice-lookin' bins! We do something similar with a different brand, but those appear custom made for the T@B fridge. I will be showing DW.

(I like the old-school Dymo labels, too! No fancy Brother P-Touch tape for you, eh, Photomom?)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    When you find a Dymo kit with blank labels and twou different fonts for $1 at a garage sale, that’s what you use!

We are camping in the rain this weekend. This is how it worked out. Going to discontinue the labels, don’t really need them and they don’t stick well. 
  • Options
    SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    I'd like the bin sizes, too
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • Options
    The bins are 10” deep and 8” wide. The taller ones are 5” high and the shorter one is 3” high.
  • Options
    Silver320Silver320 Member Posts: 30
    @Photomom We liked your idea and picked up some of the bins but since the frig is 16" wide the two on the bottom fit tight side to side and are hard to slide in/out.  Did you modify them to make them fit better?

2017 T@B Max S (Silver-Silver), TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    I use a combination of bins and ziplock containers as they will fit around other items like a milk carton or yogurt tub. It also makes stocking the fridge from my kitchen a breeze, and clean up is simple. Sorry about the red tint, but you get the idea.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    photoalexphotoalex Member Posts: 7
    Photomom said:
    Title says it all - what is up with the goofy zigzag in this thing? Makes it hard to utilize eve space to its fullest (see pic). I think for my purposes a shelf that goes straight across would work much better.

I love those bins. Can you tell me where to get them? 
    Alex Leblanc
    T@B Newbie
    Québec, Canada
  • Options
    photoalex said:
    Photomom said:

I love those bins. Can you tell me where to get them? 

I got them from Bed Bath and Beyond here in the US. I think the brand is InDesign.
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 905
    edited August 2018
    You folks with a 3-way... Nice problem to have.  Those of us with a CS-S have what we fondly call a "condiment fridge".  No room for bins (or anything else for that matter!)
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    Silver320 said:
    @Photomom We liked your idea and picked up some of the bins but since the frig is 16" wide the two on the bottom fit tight side to side and are hard to slide in/out.  Did you modify them to make them fit better?

No, mine fit pretty well but it would be easy though to take off a bit of material with a dremel or a file.