Visitors, Tours, and Strangers, Oh My!

ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
So my husband is nervous that people are going to be stopping by all the time and wanting tours or just to talk about the T@B. Does this happen a lot? Do people ask to take pictures or do you just find yourself in the middle of various photo shoots? Do they ever knock? He jokes (or at least I think he’s joking) that he wants a realtor box out front with the “press packet” he prepares and a sign that tours are by appointment only. Ahahaha poor guy!  He is so introverted and I am so not. I talk to strangers everywhere I go, especially old people and kids, they love me! Any suggestions for reassuring him? Any experiences, funny or otherwise you want to share? Anyone ever get scary with you? I know he will live but I thought some good stories might help, we love a good story! Thanks!
2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

Comments

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @ColleenD2 Do a search on “zombies” I still laugh at some of them, but they may not reassure your husband:-)
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

@jkjenn Are you the one who was stuck on the side of the road, miles from anywhere, when a woman stopped and aasked if she could use the bathroom? I can’t find the link and I loved that story! I seem to remember keys locked in the car and the storyteller’s extreme patience. 

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @ColleenD2, there's a great thread entitled "lurkers and zombies". Great reading. One time, in Brigham City, Utah, my husband and the boys went inside @ Walmart store. I was driving and stayed in the TV with the t@b in tow. First a woman drove by and told me it was the cutest thing she ever saw and what could I tell her about it. Another couple walked over and joined the conversation. Another couple in a car drove up, as my family walked up with supplies. Since I had to open the trailer to load it, they all got to look. Another 2 couples joined the party. All got info on t@b trailers and the manufacturer (Pleasant Valley, now NCamp). All were kind enough to sign our guest book. 13 of us in a parking lot, all brought together by the t@b. This can be a common occurrence.  Get a guest book. It's a nice idea. And last week we took the trailer for a wheel bearing pack and brake check. We didn't even get unhooked when a couple pulled in next to us and asked if that dealer carried what we were towing. This was a very tiny local dealer with 7 or 8 trailers on their lot, maybe 2 manufacturers,  but the couple wanted what we had. 2 new signatures in the guest book and a great conversation had. T@bs just seem to do that. Be prepared, and above all else, enjoy the adventure. And yes, your hubby will survive. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @ColleenD2 my first zombie group was on the way home from last years Lincoln Rock gathering. I was caravaning with two other Tabs, we stopped for gas and I had to wait for a pump. In the meantime I started chatting with a man who was with a group of bikers. Next thing I knew there were more of them, all wanting to go inside the trailer. I said no, but that they were welcome to look in the windows. They did and were very impressed by it. It was a fun experience, and my travel buddies got a good chuckle over it. People are impressed when you tell them what all is inside these little wonders! Toilet? Shower? A/C? 

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    We did a lot of camping in Ontario Canada last year. We had a few zombies now and then, but people mostly let us be. 

On on our last trip into Pennsylvania, we had almost as many zombies as all of last season. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Maybe I camp in places where people mind their own business--or perhaps I just don't look very friendly--but I've encountered relatively few zombies. Those that do inquire almost have to be persuaded to look inside.
    2015 T@B S
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Our first year it  was constant,  couldn't get gas without giving a tour, even got followed into a parking lot by zombies that could drive.  This past year has been different,  hardly any zombies,  I think most people in these parts have seen one now.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    So far, we've never been offended by anyone.  Everyone is very friendly when they are interested and I am usually willing to talk for a moment. Afterall, that is how we got started in the small camper world.
      I'm very proud of our "Tabby" and like to share to some degree.  I'm not always willing to give tours though.  
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• IslandJoIslandJo Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2018
    I was parked on the ferry dock waiting for the ferry. I came out of the T@b bathroom just in time to say hello to the peeps who thought they'd open the door to peek in.

We tend to make lunch at rest stops which always turns into an hour long event. Once one group comes over to look others follow. The hardest part is getting to eat.
    2018 T@B CS-S on an Outback axle 
    2017 Toyota Tacoma with tow package
    Pacific Northwest 
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Twojgrams said:
    @jkjenn Are you the one who was stuck on the side of the road, miles from anywhere, when a woman stopped and aasked if she could use the bathroom? I can’t find the link and I loved that story! I seem to remember keys locked in the car and the storyteller’s extreme patience. 
    It was not me, but that is funny!!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    @ColleenD2, there's a great thread entitled "lurkers and zombies". Great reading. One time, in Brigham City, Utah, my husband and the boys went inside @ Walmart store. I was driving and stayed in the TV with the t@b in tow. First a woman drove by and told me it was the cutest thing she ever saw and what could I tell her about it. Another couple walked over and joined the conversation. Another couple in a car drove up, as my family walked up with supplies. Since I had to open the trailer to load it, they all got to look. Another 2 couples joined the party. All got info on t@b trailers and the manufacturer (Pleasant Valley, now NCamp). All were kind enough to sign our guest book. 13 of us in a parking lot, all brought together by the t@b. This can be a common occurrence.  Get a guest book. It's a nice idea. And last week we took the trailer for a wheel bearing pack and brake check. We didn't even get unhooked when a couple pulled in next to us and asked if that dealer carried what we were towing. This was a very tiny local dealer with 7 or 8 trailers on their lot, maybe 2 manufacturers,  but the couple wanted what we had. 2 new signatures in the guest book and a great conversation had. T@bs just seem to do that. Be prepared, and above all else, enjoy the adventure. And yes, your hubby will survive. -Denise
    A GUEST BOOK! What a delightful idea! Oh I want to include all of you in my will because he is going to kill me dead! Hahahah I can’t wait to go find all the stories!

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    My "zombie" story is from practicing backing up just after I bought my Tab.  It was in large college parking lot, which was completely empty on the weekend.  I was there for about 20 minutes, and then noticed a college police car streaking the mile across the deserted parking lot toward me.  I put on my best polite face and was resigned to pull out.  The two officers in the car got out, said hello, and asked to look around the camper!  I stayed and practiced for another hour!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    Twojgrams said:
    @ColleenD2 Do a search on “zombies” I still laugh at some of them, but they may not reassure your husband:-)
    I think I am not smart enough to search this forum. I always get sooo many results. I wish I knew a way to search the topics first and then keywords. Get me. P.S. just reading all of this to my husband and he has decided to pretend he is mute. 🙄🤭🤫

Twojgrams said:
    I found it-@Tammara’s story: 

Had an experience going up to Oregon of a zombie crossing the line a bit. One of my dogs had to relieve himself and we weren't near any town or rest area. Found a nice dirt road that I could get turned around on. Got the one dog out, and before I could get to the other side of the car to get the other dog out, she locked the door. Skipping a lot of the story, I was standing next to my car with a nice family from Colorado who was calling someone to help me. A car drove up, a woman got out and asked if there was a bathroom in my tiny trailer.

me: yes, there is.
    her: can I use it?
    Me: my trailer is locked up and the keys are locked in my jeep.
    her: will you get your keys to unlock the trailer?
    me: ALL of my keys are locked in my jeep.
    her: oh! you should call your insurance company or AAA.
    me: My information is in the glove compartment. 
    her: you should call the police.  
    me: my phone is next to my keys.  (during this clueless conversation, the mom from Colorado was on her phone with the Oregon State police, and was giving me updates.)  
    Her: (after waiting a few minutes). So, will I be able to use your bathroom?
    That is one of the best T@b stories, ever!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

edited April 2018
    jkjenn said:
    Twojgrams said:
    I found it-@Tammara’s story: 

Had an experience going up to Oregon of a zombie crossing the line a bit. One of my dogs had to relieve himself and we weren't near any town or rest area. Found a nice dirt road that I could get turned around on. Got the one dog out, and before I could get to the other side of the car to get the other dog out, she locked the door. Skipping a lot of the story, I was standing next to my car with a nice family from Colorado who was calling someone to help me. A car drove up, a woman got out and asked if there was a bathroom in my tiny trailer.

me: yes, there is.
    her: can I use it?
    Me: my trailer is locked up and the keys are locked in my jeep.
    her: will you get your keys to unlock the trailer?
    me: ALL of my keys are locked in my jeep.
    her: oh! you should call your insurance company or AAA.
    me: My information is in the glove compartment. 
    her: you should call the police.  
    me: my phone is next to my keys.  (during this clueless conversation, the mom from Colorado was on her phone with the Oregon State police, and was giving me updates.)  
    Her: (after waiting a few minutes). So, will I be able to use your bathroom?
    That is one of the best T@b stories, ever!

Insane!

We have @Tammara to thank for it, and I wish she had told the unabridged story, the door locking dog etc. I’ll bet the whole thing is a hoot, and that she is too!

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @ColleenD2 maybe your DH knows he's outvoted, and resistance is futile! :rofl:
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    This will be my 9th season with my T@B so I have a ton of lurker stories.  When daughter would be home and go with me, anytime we would be exiting a store or rest area, etc., we'd always say, "How many people do you think are gathered around Daisy taking photos" and place a bet.  lol  Sometimes, we would be in the tow at a light or parked or just driving slowly and people would be pointing, tapping their friend on the shoulder and point, and pulling out their phones.  Daughter once said, "I couldn't figure out why everyone was staring and pointing, and then remembered "Oh, ya, Daisy is behind us."
    I don't notice it as much now that there are so many more T@Bs on the road.  Seeing one used to be pretty unusual.  
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• SubismSubism Member Posts: 38
    I still get multiple zombies on every trip: campgrounds, rest areas, gas stations, grocery store parking lots, you name it. I love showing it off and am not typically in a hurry, so I will usually oblige all who are interested. All have been very pleasant and I don't have any unusual stories. I have never had anybody cross the line, though I am sure it will happen someday and hopefully I can just laugh about it. 
    Marc and Angie in Burlington, NC. 2018 Ford F150 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost, 2016 320 S Max
    edited April 2018
    Yes, I still have people taking ell phone photos, and asking questions, even when I am trying to hurry. The best was when I had my rooftop tent on my Wrangler and I came out of a gas station to see Asian tourist taking selfies with my rig in Escalante, UT!

TABaker said:
    This will be my 9th season with my T@B so I have a ton of lurker stories.  When daughter would be home and go with me, anytime we would be exiting a store or rest area, etc., we'd always say, "How many people do you think are gathered around Daisy taking photos" and place a bet.  lol  Sometimes, we would be in the tow at a light or parked or just driving slowly and people would be pointing, tapping their friend on the shoulder and point, and pulling out their phones.  Daughter once said, "I couldn't figure out why everyone was staring and pointing, and then remembered "Oh, ya, Daisy is behind us."
    I don't notice it as much now that there are so many more T@Bs on the road.  Seeing one used to be pretty unusual.  
    I have never once seen a T@B on the road, isn’t that crazy? I first fell in love with them after seeing a T@G on The Price is Right years and years ago. I searched out a dealer and drove 5 hours to see one. They also had to T@B and I fell in love. Life and circumstance prevented us from buying until now but we order in the next few months, can’t wait!

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    Well I've only been on two T@B Adventures at state/city parks and both times folks have told me how cute the rig is or I've heard dog walkers telling 'their dog' how different that TT is . . . . .

Most surprising has been that the Park Rangers or Campground Hosts are the first to comment.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Well I've only been on two T@B Adventures at state/city parks and both times folks have told me how cute the rig is or I've heard dog walkers telling 'their dog' how different that TT is . . . . .

Most surprising has been that the Park Rangers or Campground Hosts are the first to comment.
    On our first real trip a couple of years ago, we stopped at a river side park to eat lunch. Just got our sandwiches and salsa ready to go, when a park ranger started driving towards us.  Expecting to get a lecture about "camping" in the day use park, we were shocked to get our first zombie wanting a tour.  Now we expect a pleasant visitor instead of a reprimand; makes life a little less stressful. :)

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

Love these stories.

• monamona Member Posts: 240
    My favorite zombie comment...”You have a dishwasher!” 

Jeannie 
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    When I here the dishwasher inquiry, I reply, “Yes, we have one - it’s me.”
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @SAM, my standard reply to that one is "actually, I have 2, one on the end of each arm"!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
     =) 
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    ZOMBIES, they're called ZOMBIES!!!!! You'll know when you the blank look in their eyes! Get a guest book for future Zombie reference! :rofl::fearful:=)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf