Options

TAB toolkit advice - Looking for a new hatchet

Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
edited May 2018 in Products and Accessories
Hi all:  I'm looking to replace the inexpensive (under $25) hatchet that we keep in our camper with something of higher quality. Is there a brand or model that you'd recommend?  We use it exclusively for splitting wood for kindling. The hatchet we have now seems to dull quickly and doesn't split word very effectively. After doing a search of the forum I see that lots of members recommend a hatchet as part of your toolkit but didn't see any references to which ones work well or ones to avoid. My preference is to keep the price under $150 or so. Thanks!!
2014 T@B-S
2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
Minnesota

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

I have wanted this Fiskars splitting axe, but I don’t use campfires.  I have a number of Fiskars Garden tools and I’m sure this will last a long time. Amazon has different sizes if this is not an appropriate size for you.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    There are many sources for decent hatchets out there, but if you're looking for something you won't find at the hardware store or home center, check out Garrett-Wade. I've had one of their Swedish axes for many years - great stuff on their site.

www.garrettwade.com
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited May 2018
    @Spruce1, I've found the ones with a wide head (more wedge) seem to work the best. I prefer one with a metal handle for durability. Try either Home Depot, Lowes, or a good hardware store with a good selection. I personally sharpen mine at least once, or twice a season. I find either a grinder, or a lawn mower blade file sharpen the best. My preference of the two methods is the file, but that's just me & I also carry an axe as well. While you're at the hardware store, see if you can find a splitting maul...not the one with a handle, just a good metal wedge type. I carry two because some of the hardwood rounds I split take quite a bit of effort without the wedges. I think I paid $20.00 for mine, and it came with a sheath as well.....but that was 20+ years ago. I'm sure you can find a good one for the price you described above. ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I use the well-made Finnish Fiskars axe, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I actually use my boy scout axe! Circa 1967!

(I'd have to agree with the Fiskars recommendation.  I have their loppers and they're nice quality.)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 922
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    I use my dremel to sharpen blades regularly. Works well! For smaller blades I use a whetstone. Old Girl Scout training is still very useful!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    Those are nice hatchets--think I'm gonna add one to the shopping list to replace my lightweight cheapo model!

On a related note, I also carry a dead blow hammer. In addition to being useful for pounding awning stakes and occasionally persuading stubborn trailer hitches, it can be used to turn a small hatchet into a quiet makeshift splitting wedge.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    Thanks all for the recommendations!  I don't know that I would go wrong with any of those suggested but I've got it narrowed down to the Fiskars and the Garrett Wade hatchet.  The dead blow hammer is a good addition too!
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @ScottG, thanks to a suggestion from @Dalehelman I upgraded from stakes for my awning to lag screws and my power drill. It makes life easier especially when the ground is hard! I have two sets, 7” and 10” depending on the ground. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    That is a pretty cool idea! I've cursed more than a few tent stakes that just...wouldn't...go...in.

Something would have to get jettisoned to make way for the power drill, however. And--that reminds me--I need to order some batteries that will actually hold a charge for more than a day...  :-/
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    Spruce1 said:
    I'm looking to replace the inexpensive (under $25) hatchet that we keep in our camper with something of higher quality.

LOL, Clapping Hands Above Head

Well my 46-year-old Craftsman is still doing just fine.
    Purchased it to carry in my first ever new truck back in 1972. Lots of camping, hunting trip travels over five vehicles . . . works great just need to resharpen it from time to time . . .

Cannot beat Sears Craftsman, too bad it could soon be xyz Craftsman.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+