Options

Someone say it ain’t so-please! T@B hitch challenges

2»

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    There's nothing worse than that frightened, deer in the headlights look and hair standing up on your neck, sinking feeling of desperation at 9:30 at night when you realize the doggone hitch won't release from the rear of your tow vehicle. Like, "holy samoli!!!" does this mean I'll be towing a trailer around until I sell this vehicle!!!!!?   :o:s=)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There's nothing worse than that frightened, deer in the headlights look and hair standing up on your neck, sinking feeling of desperation at 9:30 at night when you realize the doggone hitch won't release from the rear of your tow vehicle. Like, "holy samoli!!!" does this mean I'll be towing a trailer around until I sell this vehicle!!!!!?   :o:s=)
    Yes, I had that feeling about 3 weeks ago!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Nope. If it comes to that it means NOW I'm getting the hammer.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    what I thought was the most important part of the whole discussion ( imho ) 
    tow ball not jack carrying load"
    and grease...I have never done that to any hitch/ball, but will give it a try.
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I use the Anderson greaseless tow balls. Very clean and they work well.

I have also found the Anderson is easier to deal with when you pull forward onto the ramp versus backing onto the ramp.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Going to take off the stock hitch. Getting the almost zero tolerance hitch replaced by one I used to tow a 4 horse trailer years ago.  Easy to hitch up and to unhitch. Yeah, the stock hitch is a pain. 
  • Options
    The term is 

trailer coupler. It is a pain.

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    trimtab said:
    Going to take off the stock hitch. Getting the almost zero tolerance hitch replaced by one I used to tow a 4 horse trailer years ago.  Easy to hitch up and to unhitch. Yeah, the stock hitch is a pain. 

Strange . . . T@B Yoke Style is my first trailer with a Yoke Coupler and it is the best by far.
    Two earlier trailers, both boat,had very (cheap) simple lever couplers.
    I really like the design and quality of the 'stock' Yoke Style . . . once it was wear-in a bit.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    OK, I am easy...so, just break it in...any idea how much use to "break it in" which to me would mean easier to get off...It's been a real bear...after all of two short trips.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Disabled, middle aged female RV’ing solo. I’ve only had it get stuck hard enough to worry about once in about a dozen hitch or unhitch tries, and I do all my hitching on either my severely sloped driveway or slightly less sloped street. Once I took a close look at the coupler from the underside, I realized that it only binds when the weight of the trailer is pushing towards the tow vehicle. So to release that binding effect, I’ll chock the front of the trailer wheels, and then release the parking brake on my car. That usually moves the car just forward enough to release the coupler.

I do lubricate the coupler before each trip.

I also have an advantage over most in that I have the remote controlled Purpleline trailer mover installed, so when it gets a little stuck, moving the trailer an inch forward or back takes zero effort. But an ablebodied person could do the same manually just by pushing on the trailer a little, or like I said, playing with the parking brake on the tow vehicle.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Thanks Victoria..yesterday unhitching  was tedious. It took a lot of rocking back and forth. I will keep trying and as MuttonChops said, maybe needs to be used more..the trailer is 3 weeks new.
  • Options
    trimtab said:
    . . . trying and as MuttonChops said, maybe needs to be used more..the trailer is 3 weeks new.
    During the first 3+ months (several trips) with my 320 had challenges using the coupler.  Found for connecting (on mine) if I held the lock lever all the way back instead of letting it sit at it's normal back (rear) position allowed for easy attachment and locking . . . then at some point found I no longer had to 'help' by holding the latch fully open was needed.  These days Yoke Style Coupler latches and locks very easy, no extra pull back or effort needed.

• Options
    BywaysNWBywaysNW Member Posts: 71
    What is a yoke-style coupler?  Could you post a photo? Thanks.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    The “yoke” is the part that you retract to allow the ball to seat, then you lock the coupler by bringing the yoke forward.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @BywaysNW,;
    I have copies of original US Patent if you are interested in greater detail. Files are on a different computer so attachment will have to wait.
    Boondocking in Grandson yard at moment.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I approached my new hitch with some trepidation. My spit is perfectly level and the coupler opened up like a breeze.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014