Options

2018 T@B320s - Water dripping from under rear trim and undercarriage water barrier.

TaB_TracksTaB_Tracks Member Posts: 3
edited November 2021 in Heating/Plumbing & Winterizing
We have a new 320s that we picked up from the dealer 7 weeks ago with only two weekends on the road and never driven on wet roads. It has spent most of it's time in our driveway setup (leveled) as I work on mods. It's been a very rainy May in PA and the trailer has sat out in it. After 5 dry sunny days I cranked up the stabilizer jacks and front wheel and water begins to drain out from under the aluminum trim adjacent to the rear mounted spare tire.

The attached picture shows the 6-8oz puddle of water on the ground and the next water drop forming on the trim above. Most of the water drained from this location and a small amount dribbled from the trim next to each stabilizer jack. Since the water started dripping when the tongue was raised from it's leveled position it would appear that the water is collecting under the black waterproof fabric covering the undercarriage.

That said, this could have had major consequences in below freezing conditions. Where is this water coming from, how do I stop the infiltration, and what measures are needed to dry the water soak area?

For reference, our T@B has several roof penetrations for factory installed options, Yakima roof rack and 160W solar system. Additionally, our T@B has had it's passenger side roof trim replaced by the dealer prior our purchased because it was severely warped from 10 months of weathering as it sat the factory and dealer lots.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It would be hard to guess from a photo. During the one-year-from-purchase-date warranty, the dealer would be your first point of contact. Please contact them and make an appointment to have the dealer look at it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178

TaB_Tracks, I had exactly the same experience. I lowered the tongue to level and a river started running down the driveway. We had heavy rains for a few days! I removed the back trim piece that includes the license plate holder and there was a lake in there. The shape of the molding and the angle the T@B was parked on allowed water to accumulate. 
    I can find no harm that would be caused by this but because there are tanks and various drain tubes in the area it was concerning. While removed, I drilled 8  1/2" holes in the trim piece before re-calking and reinstalling the trim.

Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Last year we discovered that water had accumulated behind the hatch mounted license plate on our CS.  The caulking around the upper edge had pulled away and water entered.  We put some nail holes in the lower edge of the caulk and it drained.  NuCamp recaulked it under warranty.  It was funny because you could hear the water slosh when we lifted the hatch!  Easy fix.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    NHCraigNHCraig Member Posts: 26
    Just a thought, but if it's new and you have the outdoor shower option, check to make sure the valves are shut tight. Ours weren't and we had some water leak into the alde compartment and then out of the trim once we hooked up to water for the first time.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410

TaB_Tracks, I had exactly the same experience. I lowered the tongue to level and a river started running down the driveway. We had heavy rains for a few days! I removed the back trim piece that includes the license plate holder and there was a lake in there. The shape of the molding and the angle the T@B was parked on allowed water to accumulate. 
    I can find no harm that would be caused by this but because there are tanks and various drain tubes in the area it was concerning. While removed, I drilled 8  1/2" holes in the trim piece before re-calking and reinstalling the trim.

Might I suggest putting a layer of open cell foam behind the drilled holes. This will help prevent road spray from entering, but allow drainage.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I can't even remember 5 sunny days in a row in southwestern PA. We are swimming out here! T@b has been at my mom's in CLE where they have had a little less rain, and I am glad it has been spared all of this excess moisture.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options

Our problem has been repaired...I hope. Our water infiltration was covered under a warranty rework campaign that NuCamp factory personnel took care of last week at my dealer. The type of caulk used in the back of the trailer failed and allowed rain water to flow from the roof panel, through the panel joint/fastening hardware and into the baggage compartment. There was a water stain running down the rear plywood panel inside the baggage compartment. My post identified the water flow as it exited the interior, became trapped in the undercarriage’s waterproof membrane and then worked it’s way out to grade.  NuCamp did a great job in disassembling the rear of the camper, replacing the stained plywood interior panel, and re-assembling it with the right sticky stuff. Happy camper!

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Curious, do you know if they had recently changed the caulk they used in that area? 
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SneakleSneakle Member Posts: 131
    I think I may have a similar problem on the new Tab we picked up Friday. I don't want to double post but I posted a message today on the forum that includes a picture of the water stain under the back storage area. Curious if it looks like your stain.
    Tab 320s Boondock
    TV: Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    newellnewell Member Posts: 182
    We have a 2017 320S.  I just discovered the exact same leak since we pulled it out of inside storage and it has rained a few times.  I found a slight void in the caulk at the end of the trim near the passenger side tail light.  We can't buy good butyl caulk here in New York so I'm not sure what I'm going to attempt to seal it with but I'm open for suggestions.    

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
    2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado
  • Options
    Our leak was also in the taillight area do to an incorrect sealant used during new model year startup during the original factory assembly...or so the story goes. NuCamp had a recall program to fix the problem with NuCamp factory personnel and materials at dealer sites. That's how our T@B was fixed the first time.....However, it did not stop the leaking. The second time NuCamp fixed our leak after I dropped it off at their warranty facility adjacent to the factory. Austin Jones, the service manager, is the guy you need to talk to.
  • Options
    TWGH39TWGH39 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2017 boondock tab with leaking from loose trim and taillights. The puddle ends up under couch. Can anyone please recommend what type of caulking to use to seal the outside areas?
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    @TWGH39 Welcome to the Forums, but sorry it had to be this way.......
    Here is a thread with details of what to look for when you get the leak exposed, and a discussion of the proper caulks involved.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi