Options

Water Issues Solved

Way back in October I posted that we were having water issues while boon docking: sputtering, low pressure, the same issues many have had and written about here. Hours of trouble shooting, reading, taking things apart...nothing. Two weeks at the dealer...nothing. Thanks to all who have posted on this.

Today I spent several hours on the problem. I decided to replace the pump (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C1M6B1C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_k2KczbTR7VR66) which wasn't too difficult - disconnect the old pump, screw in the new one (two new screws required), splice two wires, and then reconnect the water lines. This alone did not fix the problem, but it was a little better; you could at least hear the pump working. So as a test I removed the little filter that connects to the pump on the intake side, and tried the water line directly to the pump (I'd done this before). Voila! serious water pressure. I then took the little plastic filter apart, cleaned it, and reseated it, very tight, and reconnected the water line, and it still worked perfectly. So we finally have water pressure again.

So there!

2016 Outback

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Well done BooRadly! Thanks for posting.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Cool. Is it quieter?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    So, do you think the filter itself impedes flow?  Or was the screw on cap loose?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    SAM said:
    So, do you think the filter itself impedes flow?  Or was the screw on cap loose?
    Just by the nature of what it is, the filter will impede flow. More so as it does it job. In this case...? Not sure, but it does highlight the need to periodically check it....
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    BooRadleyBooRadley Member Posts: 39
    I'm not sure if it was the filter - when I bypassed it, the water pressure was immediate, and that made me think it was the filter. I had cleaned it and reseated it several times to no avail, so I really don't know. It seemed that it was creating a weak link, letting in a little air, and that was the problem. It might also have been the pump.

As for quiet...well no, the new pump is definitely not quieter. We'll take noise and water any day!
    2016 Outback
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I have heard many times that pumps lose their ability to pull up from the tank, but seem to work when there's no vertical distance to pull liquid up. This happened with my sump pump in the house. I've heard it happen in some of the Riverside Retro trailers (my toy hauler brand). Not uncommon and I'm VERY happy you solved the issue!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    I had the same problem when de-winterize..   hooked up to city water to fill all the lines & alde..   filled fresh water tank..   had pressure but pump would not shut off...   I found that the pump filter and clear cap was the fault..  THE CLEAR CAP HAS A small gasket … MAKE SURE IT IS SEATED ..    Problem fixed... Had to write that down in my book of notes...   happy campin out there!!
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E