Sewer hose and Valterra Tube

I’m new to all of this and was searching for what sewer hose to buy on this site.  Everyone seems to recommend RhinoFlex.  When I looked at Amazon I came across a Camco RhinoFlex 20 Ft (comes in 2-10ft. lengths) with swivel,  which I purchased.  Well, now I’ve been looking at Amazon and it got horrible reviews about coming apart and having black water spewing everywhere, etc.  So, my question is:  Are there different types of Rhinoflex sewer hoses?  
Also, the Camco RhinoFlex that I purchased does not fit in a Valterra tube.  There are little nubs protruding out on the sides around the opening where the hose cover secures.  The rhinoflex measures 4 3/4” wide at this point and the Valterra is only 41/2”.
So, do i return the sewer hose I bought and buy a different RhinoFlex and will this new sewer hose fit in the Valterra tube?  Thanks for your help.  I’m quite overwhelmed at this point!

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    The reviews on Amazon for the hoses are all combined, it seems, but they do have almost 3000 reviews, mostly positive.  I have the 15 foot Camco, and have no problems with it.  The way the fittings connect to the hose does take a bit of a learning curve, but it isn't hard.

Here is a thread about sewer tube storage that might help:

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Hi @Fox, first, which Valtera do you have?  I have the 64 inch that fits along the passenger side frame and the Rhinoflex fits well.  Posted pictures may help.   Never had a problem with the hose, but you do need to know how to tighten the connections.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    @Fox I have the same Rhinoflex you bought, two 10' sections, with attachments. So far, so good for me. Before I used it, I did notice I needed to tighten the tube onto the adapter and it's greasy! I think there were instructions and some writing on the end that tells you which direction to tighten.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    @Fox, per the above mentioned thread, I installed the 64" x 4.5" Valterra and it fits my RhinoFlex 15'--along with the right angle adapter--just fine. It seems unlikely Camco would be using different fittings on the same hose, but who knows.

If it truly doesn't fit, check out @Homebodyatheart's mod also in the above mentioned thread. In that case, shaving down the tabs on the fittings a bit allowed it to fit into a smaller-diameter carrier.

2015 T@B S
  • FoxFox Member Posts: 12
    I also have the Valterra 64 “ tube.  Thanks for the tip about shaving off the nubs a bit so it slides into the tube.  I’m sure that will work great!  Something I just didn’t think of doing.  I personally had no trouble fitting the tubes together and I practiced using the hoses at home just with clean water and they were fine.  It’s just getting it into the tube that I’ll tackle now.  I can’t thank you enough.  This forum is simply wonderful—-my latest best read of each day!!!
    @Fox, before cutting on anything, you might confirm that 20' of hose will actually fit in the 64" carrier. My 15' fits with room to spare, but I've never paid attention to how much room. Seems like it could be tight, but maybe someone whose done it and actually knows what they are talking about could confirm or refute me!
    2015 T@B S
  • hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    Our 15' rhino fits perfectly in the 64" valterra tube.
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
    I have an aluminum platform welded onto each side of the big box holding the LP and battery and a platform in front of the box on the tongue. (That;s how my T@B came)  So, I can’t just attach the Valterra tube along the side piece of the tongue.  Question:  Could I mount it under the bottom of the tongue along the side with multiple extra-heavy zip ties.  Pic below.  I did figure out how to mount  my spare tire in the front box on the tongue.  Getting help with welding a device.  Unfortunately my husband, an inventor and man who could fix anything died 8 years ago —-I picked up many tips from him over 40 years but not all the skills to implement my ideas! 
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @Fox welcome! I made my own tube and had to file those nubs down a bit. I used my dremel sanding tool. In place of zip ties what about metal strapping? Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    Fox said:
    I have an aluminum platform welded onto each side of the big box holding the LP and battery and a platform in front of the box on the tongue. (That;s how my T@B came)  So, I can’t just attach the Valterra tube along the side piece of the tongue.  Question:  Could I mount it under the bottom of the tongue along the side with multiple extra-heavy zip ties. 
    I think if you actually mount it under the tongue you will have a hard time getting the hose out past the tongue jack hardware and other impedimenta in that area. There's also the issue of reduced ground clearance--you might be replacing your carrier and hose on a regular basis!  ;-)

If you can stomach making a careful cutout in the aluminum tub--and if you are certain there's enough room in the back of the tub for the tube to pass through--you might consider doing what @hymie did above. I have my tube in that location and I really like it as it's out of the way but perfectly positioned for use. Beyond making the cutouts, you would  have it easy because you could secure the tube directly to the uprights on the aluminum platform. (I don't have the platform so my installation required some additional fitment.)

Other possibilities include mounting the tube above the tub, just under the front window, or crosswise underneath the rear of the trailer. If you poke around here on the forum you can probably find photos and descriptions from members who have taken that approach. Good luck!
    2015 T@B S
    Thanks for your suggestions.  Since I have no capability to cut the tub, I think I’ll look into your other suggestions.  
  • ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    hymie am I seeing this correctly? You have the tube mounted behind and under the box in the front up against the body of the T@B? Our dealer charges $100 to mount it under the back and he thought that was the best place. I don’t want any holes driven into the unit so I am looking at other solutions. We will have the Boondock platform which I think looks like yours. Is this zip tied on? Man, I say this every day but there is so much to learn and so much prep work before you even ever head out isn’t there? Thanks.

2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

@ColleenD2, Hymie’s mount requires cutting a curve into the propane tub.  I know you don’t want to put any more holes/cuts in the Tab, so have you considered the diamond plate hinged door system that creates a sewer hose box between the front frame members?  Is there still room for that with the platform?
    Also, this ideally keeps the dirty sewer equipment separated and easily accessible to the dump outlet.

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Also, this ideally keeps the dirty sewer equipment separated and easily accessible to the dump outlet.

This is my favorite solution because of the way it utilizes unused space and has the open bottom. Maybe @ChrisK would like to put his 3d Printing and design skills to work and create this in plastic, which should be cheaper, and allow you to pick colors (I would prefer black to blend with frame) and make a version for the Outback.

=) 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

I wouldn't trade my sewer-tube-mounted-behind-the-tub for anything, but Pop-T@Bs "tongue caddy" would be a close second choice. I'd even consider installing one for other items, except that it won't play well with the tongue-mounted spare mod so many of us have done (and like). I also vaguely recall there were some fitment issues on the Outback/Boondock because of the rack and/or larger tub. I'm not sure if there was a workaround for that.
    2015 T@B S
    ScottG said:
    I wouldn't trade my sewer-tube-mounted-behind-the-tub for anything, but Pop-T@Bs "tongue caddy" would be a close second choice. I'd even consider installing one for other items, except that it won't play well with the tongue-mounted spare mod so many of us have done (and like). I also vaguely recall there were some fitment issues on the Outback/Boondock because of the rack and/or larger tub. I'm not sure if there was a workaround for that.

A number of folks have made their own for the Outback. Same idea, different dimmensions.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 270
    jkjenn said:
    This is my favorite solution because of the way it utilizes unused space and has the open bottom. Maybe @ChrisK would like to put his 3d Printing and design skills to work and create this in plastic, which should be cheaper, and allow you to pick colors (I would prefer black to blend with frame) and make a version for the Outback.
    Problem is my camper doesn't have this space. I wish it did so I could mount my spare there. I have a short-nosed frame. No space between the box and the tongue jack. Plus, that cover would take a much bigger printer than I have. That storage area sure is cool.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
    ChrisK said:
    jkjenn said:
    Problem is my camper doesn't have this space. I wish it did so I could mount my spare there. I have a short-nosed frame. No space between the box and the tongue jack. Plus, that cover would take a much bigger printer than I have. That storage area sure is cool.
    Bummer...I keep hoping.  .would be a great product, I think.

• hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    edited August 2018
    @ColleenD2  Others have the right of this. Cutting the tub was the only rational way for me to fit the valterra tube on (We have a dual battery box forward of the tub). Given the choice, I really like the tongue hose storage idea. Not a difficult thing to have someone make for you.

Our mount was easier to do with the tub off. And, yes, the tube is held in place by 8 heavy zip ties on the frame and platform.
    Btw-I feel exactly like you in that I am extremely reluctant to put any holes in the trailer. This why we did not mount it under the back- new holes in the trailer itself are required!

You could also do as others have done and attach the tube to the bottom of the Yakima rack. I did not want to add any weight there.

Good luck with whatever you decide works best for you!

James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    Sadly no, because of the permanent spare mount. And we will be grey water only so it’s not the grossest. I will just buy the tube and walk around with it. I am sure something will inspire me.

2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

Yep. Outbacker/Boondockers have nice solution already in place with that platform. I recall somebody else skipped the bolts altogether and just zip-tied the tube to the uprights.
    Of course, you still have to make the cuts in the aluminum tub, but most of the other fussy fitment required is eliminated.
    2015 T@B S
  • vorticityvorticity Member Posts: 14
    Awesome post. Exactly what I needed to see.  We have the same trailer. 
    2019 T@B 320 Boondock Edge
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Glad to hear it might help someone out, @vorticity
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

edited November 2019
    Since the question occasionally is raised as to whether the Camco 15' Rhinoflex sewer hose and attachments easily fit inside a Valterra storage tube like the one I (and others) have installed, I took a couple photos to show that it does (i.e., the current version).  I figured it might be helpful for new T@B owners considering modifying their camper to add the storage tube.  The first photo shows that the 90 degree clear elbow attachment at the end easily fits.  The second photo depicts the 4 in 1 universal adapter, which also slides in easily at a slight angle.  (Greg)

(Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    @Bayliss, Nice job and writeup. 
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
    Thank you, @tybladesmith.  It just so happens that I was at my camper today (where it is stored) and removed the original zip-ties, replacing them with a wider/thicker version for extra stability.  However, even if they all broke, the tube will still remain in place, which is nice.  I appreciate the inspiration for my installation, which I obtained from others with similar modifications.  (Greg)

• ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    @Bayliss you said, "After making the cuts to the tub, I lined the rough/sharp edges with 1/8" automotive edge trim:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KG9BAY0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1 "
    This link you shared links to 10ft of this trim. It appears they also sell 3ft and 5ft lengths. Looking at your mod, I can't see any other areas you might have used this trim besides the fresh cuts the valterra tube goes through. How many feet did you order and how much would you say you used?
    2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ