Options

Sewer hose and Valterra Tube

2»

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @ReenieG, I purchased the 10' length, but that is because I needed some to cover the cut-outs for a decorative aluminum screen that I installed at the backside of the Boondock tub (see photo below.)  I ended up with 3' 8" extra after both projects (i.e., the Valterra tube and decorative screen cuts.)

Although 3' should be sufficient for the two tub cut-outs, for an extra dollar you can get two additional feet.  You won't necessarily need that much, but may find a use for the extra on another project.  It doesn't hurt to have the extra anyway, just in case you cut one or both trim lengths too short, or you encounter some other issue with the trim.  I know that I had to make a longer strip or two, because I came up a bit short.  I could have left it short, but that just isn't in my nature.  Also, you can see from my photos earlier in this thread that I cut some very short lengths to cover the inside rim at the base of the tub where the two Valterra tube cuts left sharp edges.

Hope this info helps.  Good luck!

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    @Bayliss great minds think alike! I was thinking of ordering the 5ft for the extra dollar but wanted to be sure that would be plenty enough. Thanks again. I'm hoping to tackle this project soon! When I do, I'll post it.
    2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ
  • Options

How do you all carry the Rhino hose elbow? I'd like to anchor mine in the tube that's in the tub. Is there a good mod for this?

• Options
    edited January 2022

@ReenieG, see my February 2019 post (and photos) earlier in this discussion thread (page 1.) The elbow and sewer pipe insert fit in the Valterra tube, just inside the opening. However the orange twist-on connector you have, which appears to be permanently (??) connected to the elbow is different than the design of my Rhino hose. The connector on mine is permanently attached to the end of the hose. I'm guessing that you have the Rhino "Extreme." Mine is the Rhino "Flex." Regardless, your idea for storing the attachment appears as good as any. (Sorry for the delayed response. I was away from the house today.)

(Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431

I have a rip-stop nylon type bag I keep all the sewer hose accessories in, which fits in the tub nicely.

Cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options

@Bayliss I've seen your pics. It doesn't look like the elbow would fit in the Valterra like yours. This is the Rhino Flex that I have. It's not the extreme as far as I can see. Is this the same elbow you have stuffed in the Valterra tube?

• Options
    edited January 2022

I'm running into an issue with the cutting of my tub. Since I have the plastic tub and the BD platform, there's a discrepancy of about an inch (edit: I believe its mor like 2 inches) as to where the Valterra carrier tube cuts need to be vs where I'd want them to be, to attach them to the BD platform due to the metal propane/battery frame inside the tub. I'm thinking that maybe the inch isn't really "that much" of an issue but I'd hate to cut my tub and find out I've ruined it! It also seems that the carrier tube wouldn't be laying on the trailer frame if I cut it up closer to the BD platform to secure it, but that it would lay on the back part of the metal tub frame. So it might be more than an inch from the BD platform? I'm not sure it won't be too far back then to anchor it to the platform then. So where to cut and where/how to anchor. I also have the retractable Valterra tube but I don't think that's any problem. It can be adjusted to accomodate whatever size I need and once it's anchored it stays put to that size.

• Options
    edited January 2022

@ReenieG , my trailer (and the Rhino Flex hose) are in storage and I do not have a photo of the clear 90-degree elbow for comparison. I could not find a good photo online, either. Camco probabably slightly modified the attachment design since my hose, which is a couple years old. Regardless, I believe that the difference between mine and yours is that my clear elbow adapter has little nubs that twist in to the bayonet, which is permanently attached to the end of the hose. Yours appears to have the bayonet (i.e., the orange claws) permanently attached to the end of the elbow. I assume that is why it will not fit inside your Valterra tube, because the bayonet claws are larger in diameter than the Valterra hose opening.

As far as cutting the plastic tub and getting the cut in the right location, I understand your trepidation. Don't hold me to it, but I'm thinking that the position depicted in your second photo may work best. I say that only because it appears that if you locate it as depicted in the first photo, the Valterra tube will rub up against the trailer's curved aluminum rock shield. If so, my guess is that would also prevent the tub from being pushed back to its original position.

If you look at @hymie's photo of the inside wall of the aluminum tub, you can see how it compares with your plastic tub. That may not actually help with conclusively determining the best location to make your cuts, but at least you can compare it to your plastic tub. Another point that just came to mind is that the plastic is not likely to be as flexible as the aluminum. I mention that, because I believe that I had to pull back/flex the aluminum (holding it at the lower corner that lies closest to the trailer) so that I could push the Valterra tube into the openings that I had cut. Once I placed the Valterra tube into those openings, I returned the tub and Valterra tube as a single unit back onto the trailer A-frame. Assuming the plastic is not flexible (it looks fairly thick in your photo), you will likely need to cut larger openings at the bottom of each cut so that you can simply push/slide the tube into the openings. Maybe make straighter/vertical cuts at the bottom on each side of the two openings to accomplish that.

Before making your cuts, you may also want to consider putting painter's or masking tape over the areas that you will be cutting. This should help protect the adjacent plastic. Additionally, you might try making an inconspicuous cut or two on the inside of the tub, probably at the bottom horizontal lip where you will be cutting anyway, just to get a feel for how it cuts. I recall the aluminum really bounced while I was cutting it, so it may do the same on your tub, so just take it slow.

As far as where the Valterra tube will ultimately end up in relation to your trailer frame, I don't think it will be an issue if it does not actually rest on the frame. However, that likely depends on how you want to secure the tube. I used heavy duty (thicker/wider) zip-ties, so that allowed a lot of flexibility. You can see from my photos how I secured mine. On the other hand, if your intent is to secure it like others have done (e.g., screwing it into the aluminum rock shield on the front of the trailer, or by screwing it into the Boondock vertical posts), then where you locate your cuts will be a definite factor. If it appears that using screws is not an option, then I would suggest that you go with the zip-ties. They have worked very well for me. I do see how there may be some concern with the frame for the battery/propane may interfere with the tube placement, but it appears that the curve of the Valterra tube will side-step that and not be an issue. The only thing I can think of to test that is to use a short section of similarly-sized PVC (or even cardboard) tubing that you could push up against that metal bracket and see where the tube aligns with the side of the plastic tub. Unfortunately, you may not have something like that handy, but it probably wouldn't cost much to pick up something like that at a home improvement store. OR, maybe that piece of white PVC tube in your tub would do the trick!

Let me know if I missed anything in my response. Check your forum inbox. I am going to send you my home phone and E-mail address if you want to discuss it directly. I plan to be home all day for the remainder of the week, so feel free to call me and we can kick it around.

Greg

P.S. Here's another discussion about installing a sewer tube, just in case you have not already seen it. The white 90-degree elbow connection depicted in a couple of the photos is similar to what my clear one looks like. The photos help show why it fits in the Valterra tube (no permanently attached bayonet.) Also, I don't know if @SteveW will see this discussion, or chime in with his input on your questions (he was last active on the forum in Sept. 2020), but he was a big help to me in planning my installation of the tube. Near the end of the discussion, he included a photo of how he secured the Valterra tube to his Boondock platform.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6300/sewer-hose-storage-tube-question/p1

AND, take a look at this discussion thread, which depicts the Valterra tube installation behind the plastic tub, albeit on earlier year T@B trailers:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/71360#Comment_71360