Options

Are there alternative table options?

Comments

• Options
    AnjenewellAnjenewell Member Posts: 4
    @rfuss928
    we have a 2005 DM CS with the split cushions. I'm working on setting the bed/bedding up just as you described but am super frustrated with the heavy and cumbersome original table that came with out T@b. I can hardly get it up or down by myself and the way the base/legs taper it's inconvenient to store anything under it when the bed is set up. Do you (or others on this thread) have thoughts about full sized table options that allow for storage underneath and that aren't such a pain to move up and down?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    @Anjenewell, many find the old style table cumbersome and have removed it.  There are numerous threads about table modifications.  Just search Table Mods.  The newest table solution is the Lagun mount.  The original Lagun table top is small, so some replace it with a larger top that can double as a bed slat.  It can be mounted at the rear or along the driver side bench.  They then supplement the table-as-slat with additional bed slats.  You would need to place bed rails on both sides of the bench.  Another option is using a pole base that attaches to the floor and again making a larger top that functions as a bed slat.  

But, since you plan to leave the bed made up along the rear of the cabin, it is easy to make your slats/rails and use a fold up Walmart table as necessary.  This is what we do as most of the time we dine outside or in our attached tent.  We use three 9 inch x 29 inch slats for solo camping and supplement with additional slats for the full bed.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    edited August 2018
    We almost never sit inside, but on those rare occasions a few carefully placed bed slats make a nice occasional table.

For "full-sized" use (as you originally requested) we have fold-up tables we can use as Sharon suggested. They require no additional hardware, normally stay outside, and store nicely under the seat for transit.

The original "elevator" table lives in my attic, now joined by the air conditioner and television.  :-)

2015 T@B S

• Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    I always hated that table. It lives somewhere in the bowels of the basement. The slat/table works. Dual purpose items help to keep it simple. Space is a valuable commodity in a teardrop. And when not needed, they disappear under the cushions. Very helpful when you travel with a Australian Shepherd. 😆 

Jeannie 
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Looks very nice Scott....  This is really minimalistic.  But, does anyone else’s camper look like this?  Sure, this is what we strive for... Kinda....  It is a constant struggle against the accumulator instinct for sure... And the wine glass....  Not in our T@bby.   The T&J clutz masters would have that broken in no time.  44 years ago, when we were dating we would buy pop in those 16 oz bottles, ( remember those?) and one of us would proceed to knock one over.  The tradition continues... grin...

As far as my contribution to this topic, we have tried most combinations.   We started with the old default table.  Out it went.  Then we did the slat thing with a full bed and used a slat or two for a table.  For a while,  We bought a nice fold up plastic table for inside.  It is now used outside.  We are now into the twin bed setup.  We bought the Lagun table.  I like it.  My wife loves/hates it.  She calls it the devil table.  
    If we were full bed people, I probably would use it outside.  It would be too much trouble to put in and remove.  
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    Oh, don't worry, TerryV6. That was a posed photo in my driveway. Rest assured things are a bit more cluttered when camping, but having a place for everything--and keeping everything in its place--helps a lot. Another reason for not setting up the seating is that the "place" for several items is in that reclaimed space under the bed. (That was probably the biggest motivation for ditching the table.)

Oh, and the wine glass is plastic. And collapsible.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 935
    edited August 2018
    I also find the original table heavy and awkward to move in or out of the T@B.  I basically never do that.  It pretty much stays in one place and only moves up or down as needed.   I guess there is a little technique to make the move up or down.  I don't find it very difficult and really like the large strong, stable surface it creates.  We do not need the under bed storage space.  There is more than enough room for all we bring in the available cabinet space.  Besides, Bella likes to retreat to the "way-back" when there is too much commotion in the trailer.  We even have two shelves above the front bench which are completely empty when on the road and are used for all the stuff we bring in and out while camped (living space).
    We usually place the campsite picnic table under our awning next to the door.  Only in the worst weather do we actually need an interior table.
    Many years of very light weight travel has made us quite selective of what gets to come along.
    Have fun!
    Bob

• Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    We use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-80425-Folding-Table-Almond/dp/B00YYJDS7A/ref=asc_df_B00YYJDS7A/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167166621599&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15925901617362165576&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1013962&hvtargid=pla-272727954166&psc=1

It works well as an outside table for setting drinks and snacks on, and if the weather gets ugly, it fits between the cushions on the floor.  It’s rugged, easy to clean and easy to carry.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    @JohnDanielsCPA, now you need to pair that up with some PlaySkool stools for a complete set😏

But seriously, do you use it as a coffee table because it looks too short to dine from.  Can it double as a bed slat?

This past spring, out in Utah, we ate a lot of meals inside the TaB.  We used our stacked bed slats as a coffee table like Scott.
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Just a coffee table, although we have dined on it; you just can’t put your legs under the table; it’s too short for that.  It isn’t wide enough to double as a bed slat.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    This is the  solution we found that works for us. The table doubles as the bed support
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Dalehelman I thought it was you who had attached a tabletop to an extendable television arm on the wall opposite the shower. Was it someone else? I really liked that mod because it swiveled to provide a  “prep” place for cooking. Not that I cook , but I know DH would like it when we need to cook inside. However, that mod was and remains too complex for usns.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    @jgram2
    I do have a table like that. "Pop-T@B"was the one who came up with the idea. If you search his discussions he has a very detailed write up on it. It is a fairly difficult mod. I would rate it about a 4 1/2 out of 5.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    @Anjenewell, I like the idea of using a large board as a table/slat.  Use any kind of bed slats under the rear of the bed, then you could make a tabletop that is supported by a pole that attaches to the floor.  The table should be the same size needed for the bed slat closer to the front of the Tab.  That way, you can easily remove the pole from the table top, store the pole under the bed, and use the table as a slat.   
  • Options
    @jgram2
    search Lagun style table.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 119
    @Dalehelman & @jgram2  Yes, we have the table on the TV arm. I have remounted the top to clear a thicker mattress pad, but it works great. Folds up out of the way, and when down, easily moves to several usable locations. A definite keeper.
    2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
    2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
    2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab

• Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    Collapsing table was a disaster from my point of view.  I obtained a Lagun mount as soon as I was aware of it. 
    Table top is made of 3/8 inch birch plywood, with solid maple edging using a rabbit joint and glue to attach.  At 29.5 inches sq, it serves as about 1/2 of necessary bed slats.  I made 2 more matching 'slats' at 14 x 29.5 inches...one in place supports rolled up double sleeping bag we use as bedding during the day.  
    Edging on table top and 2 extra 'slats' adds rigidity/strength for sleeping support.
    Under table Lagun bracket required me to glue on a 3/4 inch piece of plywood which was thick enough to accept mounting screws. 
    Table position can be against back wall, middle (which is big enough for a dinner party of four people) or front against drivers side cushion. 
    An additional benefit...half the weight of the collapsing table, thus easy enough for one person to set up as table or set up as bed.   

Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @JanandDave and @Dalehelman and @Pop-T@B wherever you may be-thanks guys, got it. That remains my favorite mod, even if we won’t be pursuing it!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    That’s perfect @Vikings!