Options

Lighted water pump switch

So, in May we purchased a 2016 T@B CS-S from a dealer in Ohio.  When we went through the walk through, I remember the salesman being a bit confused as he showed us the switch to turn on the water pump.  When we got it home, I realized that the switch has a light, and our light is on, when the pump is off.

First, seems backwards to me.  Is mine wired differently than everyone else?

Second, does anyone know how easy it will be to reverse this?
Changing a wire at the switch, or is the change needed further down the wiring line?  Obviously, we know how to operate it as is, but as my  "to do" list gets shorter, this one has risen closer to the top.
2016 T@B CS-S
TV 2007 F150

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    I recall this was discussed previously.  Hopefully someone will chime in.  If not, call NuCamp repairs and they should be able to assist.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @gymcoachdon, if your light is on, your pump should be on. It may not operate because your system is pressurized. With the switch on(green light) the pump only actually operates when you flush the toilet or run the faucet or shower. When the system reaches pressure, the pump is not audible or actually pumping. Could this be what is happening?  Or is it really reversed wired and pumps when the switch position and green light is off?
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    As I recall, the positive and the negative wires are the same color, so it would have been easy to transpose them.  I think @Tabaz or @Michigan_Mike was the one who discovered that....or maybe someone else. 

If you don’t mind “messing” with 12 V DC, pull the fuse associated with the pump (turn on the pump and pull the fuse you think is the one, and if the pump goes off, you made a correct choice!).  Then, change the positive and negative wires coming from the switch, replace the fuse and see if the light is on when the pump is on.  Make your connections permanent and you are good to go. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    gymcoachdongymcoachdon Member Posts: 54
    @dragonsdofly When my pump is off, the light is on.  My question is where do you access the wires that need changed, and what wires need switched.  I have found pictures, and read a few other posts, but it is still a bit fuzzy.  Sounds like, from Vernas post, that the wires need to be changed at the switch.  That would make sense, I need to take the panel off and take a look.
    2016 T@B CS-S
    TV 2007 F150
  • Options
    Picture below is my switch as wired.  
    Red on bottom, yellow in the middle, White on top.  The White wire is smaller, and loops back to the connector on the board.  Switching the yellow and red wires made the light go off, but when the switch was changed, no light, and no pump.  So, I put it back as seen, and it functions as before.  Pump off = light on, pump on = light off.

Any help?

2016 T@B CS-S
    TV 2007 F150
  • Options
    Using my "son of an electrician" mind, I believe the yellow wire is hot.  Makes sense that it is in the middle.  If the switch is configured to throw to one side or the other, I should switch the white and the red.  Problem is, the red wire has NO extra length, and may be why it left the factory wired this way, lol.
    2016 T@B CS-S
    TV 2007 F150
  • Options
    Try switching the red and white.  If an error was made, that would be an easy mistake, whereas the yellow in the middle is probably correct.  I am away from our TaB, but will return and check what is behind our plate.

Sharon
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 272
    Maybe they wire it that way so you can find the switch in the dark?
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    It has been said before that when the pump is “off” because there is sufficient pressure, the light is on. This is normal. Are we saying that the reverse of this is the stated condition?
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The light should be on if the pump is on. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Ok, I looked at our 2017 CS SeeLevel wiring, besides the tank monitor plug, the 3 spade connectors top to bottom were:

Top- open without wire
    Middle-yellow
    Bottom-yellow

😆

They may have wired our SeeLevel battery monitor into our installed Victron battery monitor wiring which may account for the open top spade.  

Stupid question, is it possible the actual rocker mechanism is simply inverted?

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2018
    Here is the wiring diagram for the SeeLevel ll system and this should help to better understand your situation and clear up any issues.

This is the original thread (Below) on the SeeLevel ll monitor and system and includes a lot of upgraded information I added to Shawn's original posting.  The wiring was a bit confusing when I installed the unit on my 2015 T@B 320 but I did figure it out.  So with that said it's understandable that a dealership or any individual working on or installing the system could easily misconstrue the white wire shown to the pump from the monitor as it was confusing and the diagram I put together should help eliminate your pump issue.  

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/2349/seelevel-ii-upgrade-install-instructions
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Ok, I looked at our 2017 CS SeeLevel wiring, besides the tank monitor plug, the 3 spade connectors top to bottom were:

Top- open without wire
    Middle-yellow
    Bottom-yellow

😆

They may have wired our SeeLevel battery monitor into our installed Victron battery monitor wiring which may account for the open top spade.  

Stupid question, is it possible the actual rocker mechanism is simply inverted?

As you can see with my diagram there is an open spade connector on the end of the SL controller.  The light should be off when the pump is switched off and I encountered the same issue as Don encountered above with the light staying on, but it will resolve itself when the white (shown in schematic above) is tied into the hot wire on one side of the pump.  It was confusing initially, but does clear up the problem.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @Michigan_Mike I appreciate the diagram Mike.  With that, I went back and re-read the previous post, and it is no longer fuzzy!  I am leaving for camping in a couple hours, so I probably won't mess with this until I get back.  Thanks to everyone for the input!
    2016 T@B CS-S
    TV 2007 F150
  • Options
    dvgibsondvgibson Member Posts: 33
    In my T@B 400, the pump light is on when the power is on to the pump. The pump is on when it needs to be. And I find the light annoying at night so I turn the power off to the pump when we go to bed. 
    T@B 400 2018 Tacoma TRD SR5
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @dvgibson My switch wasn't lighted in my T@Bitha, but I flipped it off anyway when I didn't need it. I'm not sure why. With the new camper the SeeLevel is near the bed too and you are right, that red light is worse than a lighthouse. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)