Options

We need a new T@B model!

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
There are lots of us who have modded our T@Bs so we can sleep in twin beds and get out of bed withiout climbing over someone. Some of us are even eying friends’ Olivers with envy because there is a real twin bed option. 

So here’s my idea. Just make a 320S style trailer that is a foot longer. Make the bench seats 5” wider and a foot longer.  Eliminate the sofa and put a skinny nightstand in the middle. Who’s with me?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    So, there must be a reason folks are not doing this, but my sister-in-law and started sleeping with our heads by the back cabinets on our last trip. There was no more climbing over each other and we still had a ton of room. My sister-in-law is about 5' tall so we had no issues with her on the driver side.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    That’s how we generally sleep, but since we’re both well under 6’ tall, it’s easy. One of us (ahem) needs an extension on one side to really turn over safely, so I keep watching the posts and dreaming about piano hinges.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    I am 5’7” and just fit on the driver’s side. But honestly I could do with a couple more inches. The problem is DH who is 6’5”. I’ve made him a bed extension but it partially blocks the door. If the trailer were just a wee bit longer he could stretch out. 
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    If it were a foot longer, us clamshell folks wouldn't have to sleep wheel to wheel!!!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    gymcoachdongymcoachdon Member Posts: 54
    yep, a one foot longer clamshell might get me to buy new.  Climbing over my wife in the middle of the night isn't fun for either of us...
    2016 T@B CS-S
    TV 2007 F150
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    So, there must be a reason folks are not doing this, but my sister-in-law and started sleeping with our heads by the back cabinets on our last trip. There was no more climbing over each other and we still had a ton of room. My sister-in-law is about 5' tall so we had no issues with her on the driver side.
    Head bonking. We sleep with our heads toward the front. Side benefit is Alde keeps our toes toasty warm. 
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ha!!! Had to laugh at the head bonking (again!). I've got to the point to where the old tuck & roll muscle memory method comes in to effect after the first "bang" of the trip! :nuh_uh::angry:;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Sheesh, people. Didn't you just GET a new bigger T@B model?!  I think it's called the "T@B 400." Fussy fussy fussy.  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    fiddlefootfiddlefoot Member Posts: 62
    One foot wider would make my 6'2" husband happy. One foot longer would not get it.  One foot wider and 2 foot longer (great for twin beds, camp with friends that I don't want to climb over) and We have a deposit ready.  He would also like to be able to stand up in the wet bath.
    Denise, Rea and Ruby
    2016 CS S, 2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Somerset, VA

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    edited August 2018
    I always thought a wider clam shell would be nice.  It would solve side to side sleeping length and an even bigger kitchen as a bonus.

• Options
    ScottG said:
    Sheesh, people. Didn't you just GET a new bigger T@B model?!  I think it's called the "T@B 400." Fussy fussy fussy.  :-)
    No, no, no, this would be only slightly longer and heavier than the 320. And the 400 has the disadvantage of a bed that is not long enough, and can’t be converted to twins. I am talking about a true twin bed camper. 
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Photomom said:
    ScottG said:
    No, no, no, this would be only slightly longer and heavier than the 320. And the 400 has the disadvantage of a bed that is not long enough, and can’t be converted to twins. I am talking about a true twin bed camper. 
    Yes, if I'm going to go bigger I want twins or a walk around bed. Not going to spend extra money to still have to crawl over hubby. The 400 just doesn't strike me as a good floor plan.

I really liked the R-Pod floor plan with bunks, but didn't like the quality.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    being right under 16 feet is what making me consider a  T@b.   in california if the trailer is under 16 feet i only have to pay registration every 5 years.   and insurance is cheaper.      but i notice little guy has a similar model that is one foot longer!
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    My comment was made tongue-in-cheek. I understand exactly what you are asking for, and--while the 400 is certainly a nice rig--I share your opinion of its more traditional sleeping arrangement. One of the "short list" items I really wanted in a small camper (and didn't expect to find) was the ability to sleep front-to-back in a nice wide bed.
    However, with the 400 just introduced, and future talk hinting at an even bigger T@B, I wouldn't hold my breath for a T@B 360. Who knows, though; nuCamp is a pretty responsive company and if you convince them the market is there, they just might give it some serious thought. Keep squeakin'!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    mreric said:
    being right under 16 feet is what making me consider a  T@b.   in california if the trailer is under 16 feet i only have to pay registration every 5 years.   and insurance is cheaper.      but i notice little guy has a similar model that is one foot longer!
    Keep your eye on weight and on details. Also, don't plan to sit on the back bench in that one. I sit almost exclusively on the back bench in my T@b.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ArwenArwen Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2018
    mreric said:
    Before purchasing my 320S Boondock this Summer, I also considered the 400, and the LG Mini-Max (17 foot long).  We're both tall (6-0 & 6-1), so the 320 was a bit smaller than what my boy friend wanted.  The other two campers were larger than the 320, but the 320 was the only one with a bed that is longer front to back than sideways, which I really like.
    He really liked the 400, but it was bigger than what I felt comfortable towing.
    So we considered the Mini-Max as a compromise, since it had 6 foot headroom (compared with 5-8 in the 320), and the bath/shower was a bit larger. But I didn't find the increased headroom to be of any real benefit, because the AC protruded into the ceiling a couple of inches, and it was right in the center of the standing area (I banged my head on it twice, just while we were viewing it), and the shower was still too low for either of us to stand up to shower.
    To me, the 320 was the winner because of how well it was designed.  What we did do, was purchase the side tent addon on the day we bought our T@B, which doubles our camper space.

Arwen: Northern NH; 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, silver/blue; TV: blue 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    edited August 2018
    Photomom said:
    ScottG said:
    Yes, if I'm going to go bigger I want twins or a walk around bed. Not going to spend extra money to still have to crawl over hubby. The 400 just doesn't strike me as a good floor plan.

I really liked the R-Pod floor plan with bunks, but didn't like the quality.
    I read recently, I believe on the Sisters on the Fly page, that R-Pod has a new twin-bed model.

Jenn, when hubby is along we've always slept with our heads at the back.  We don't have an Alde, so no vents or raised cabinet.  Our pillows are all the way back.  No climbing over, and bed is long enough for him.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    ScottG said:
    My comment was made tongue-in-cheek. I understand exactly what you are asking for, and--while the 400 is certainly a nice rig--I share your opinion of its more traditional sleeping arrangement. One of the "short list" items I really wanted in a small camper (and didn't expect to find) was the ability to sleep front-to-back in a nice wide bed.
    However, with the 400 just introduced, and future talk hinting at an even bigger T@B, I wouldn't hold my breath for a T@B 360. Who knows, though; nuCamp is a pretty responsive company and if you convince them the market is there, they just might give it some serious thought. Keep squeakin'!  :-)
    The thing is, the 400 would be an awesome one person camper. I could live in that thing.
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    ScottG said:
    I wonder if that is something they are considering with the redesigned T@b. That probably will not become a reality before 2020 or 2021.

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Photomom said:
    ScottG said:
    I wonder if that is something they are considering with the redesigned T@b. That probably will not become a reality before 2020 or 2021.
    There would certainly be room if they are using the 510XL form factor. But that would be much too large a camper for those of us who prefer to tow with an SUV.
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    jkjenn said:
    Photomom said:
    ScottG said:
    There would certainly be room if they are using the 510XL form factor. But that would be much too large a camper for those of us who prefer to tow with an SUV.
    From watching the Q&A, it would be only slightly larger...if I recall correctly maybe a foot longer and 6"-12" taller? It w the s towards the end of the video.

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Oh boy oh boy! Now if they can design it for retrofitting, we’ll be even happier campers! Might have to finally travel to Ohio!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    Not to go astray and I know this isn't what 320 owners are wishing for but i found this German-built Tabbert for those wishing more room than a 400, relative lightweight (2557 lbs) for its size and twin beds (one of several configurations) there is the Tabbert 450. Dimensions are 8.6 ft H x 7.6 ft W x 22 ft L. But at this point you would need to live in Germany to have the opportunity to own one.

Always fun to look anyway!
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    nuCamp will have one soon!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    I would love to see a slatless bed system!  That will really make things easier and eliminate some of the necessary mods.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    Was just perusing Miller's Trailer Sales web site (usually before checking my Lotto tickets) and saw that they will be at the Hershey RV show, Sep 12-16, with a new prototype model from nuCamp called the Euro. Says it is slightly larger than the 400. If we attend, will definitely snap some pics.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Oooo, by then I will need a road trip.  I might see you there!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Cool!
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    The Hershey show is always during Colorado fall foliage. We expect lots of photos from anyone who goes. Travels with Delaney will be there, sans Truman.