Any competition to the T@b ?

I currently own a T@g,    i have been thinking of upgrading to a T@b,     i would love me a bathroom,heater and hot water!.  

but is there any other alternative out there ?  any other brand that would be just as small as the T@B?

i love the T@B being under 16 feet long,   this allows for California registration to be much cheaper.

I also NEED it as the same height as the T@b  ,   this allows me to store in the garage instead of having to pay for storage somewhere else.  

the overall size of the T@B  allows for a really low cost of ownership. 

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/.  Check it out.  

If the floorplan, bed system, and accessories meet your needs, I am not sure why you would look further.   Being a T@G owner, you know the quality of the construction and the integrity of the company.  Not sure of California’s specific registration cost related to length, but if the limited frame length is important, please consider, you never know when nuCamp will make changes.  Aside from not being close to the factory for warranty/repair/upgrade issues, I know of no other small trailer manufacturers in California, but I believe CA has some very reputable dealers.  Just like any product, you have to expect some repair/maintenance on these tiny quarters that we pull down bumpy roads - nothing is always perfect.  In addition, this forum is certainly a value-added bonus which you will discover as you take the time to review the categories and content.  OK, enough of my bias.  Maybe I should add that we are in the same boat as you.  The T@B meets all our travel needs and then some, is easy to store, modifiable if you like to tinker, has a development team that makes real-time changes during a model year, and uses quality materials like few other RV manufacturers.  Enough said.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Agree with Sharon, if you like the size, the T@b is a no-brainer. You will not find another manufacturer who pays as much attention to detail, produces high quality, makes updates based on customer input, and stands behind their product, like nüCamp. They set a standard not only in the RV world, but in general. Plus, I love their integrity. It is hard to find a business who will eat money to do the right thing, yet, they don't seem to bat an eye.

On a side note, this forum is operated by the manufacturer, but the participants are all independent. That being said, it probably would not be the appropriate place to discuss co.petition, anyway.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ArwenArwen Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2018
    We just bought our T@B 320 S Boondock in late June and love it! Up until this summer, we have only camped in a small backpacking tent.  So I did a ton of research over the nine month period before settling on our T@B.
    The first camper we looked at was the 16'-3" Airstream Basecamp, which we both really liked; the downside was that it goes for nearly $40,000, which was well above what we were willing to spend.
    Then we looked at the R-Pod, but it was just not the type of camper that I had in mind, as it was bigger than I wanted (at ~20' long), and it seemed to be much lower quality than the Airstream (we viewed them at the same dealer).
    I was also quite interested in TAXA Cricket, which has a popup top.  But it was just to different in appearance for my boyfriend, and it only came with a portable toilet and the only shower was on the outside. [Plus the closest dealer was a 5-hour drive (each way), so we never even looked at one in person).
    We also viewed a number of other campers, but the 320 was the camper that won me over, and it was well-made AND within our budget.
    Arwen: Northern NH; 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, silver/blue; TV: blue 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Pop-up camper such as Aliner is a possibility. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    I looked at the Aliner before I bought my T@b. Talk about a horrible interior. It was dark and looked like it was circa 1980. 

Trailers like the Rockwood, Mini Winni and others in this class tend to look like a boring box, to me. Those are not truly competitors to the T@b, IMHO.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited August 2018
    That's funny, I discovered the T@B for the first time when I had gone to a dealer to check out Aliners. (Not super impressed either, BTW.)
    DW and I saw the little T@B sitting there and said "What the heck is that? That's exactly what we would have dreamed up if we dreamed up our own perfect camper!"
    That was a Saturday, just before the dealership closed for the weekend. My research and due diligence consisted of a quick Google search to answer the "What the heck is that?" question. We made a deposit on Tuesday morning and brought it home the following Saturday.
    Sometimes, things just speak to you. I don't know if I envy or pity those of you that spend years pondering your choice of camper.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S
  • mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    BrianZ said:
    i have seen the geo pro as well.   but i need it to be under 8 feet in height for storage.
    thank you for all those replies.  

seem that the US has a big lack of small trailers.   there is so many in Europe!

so far i found a Canadian manufacturer that make  very low profile trailer.   they also seen to have dealers in the USA.   but they seem to have no A/C

https://www.roulotteprolite.ca/?lang=en

check out their products. 

another one that i have found is a 

travel like express 14e,   
    https://www.vantasticvans.com/product/new-2018-travel-lite-express-e14-815100-29

they seem to be just over 8 ft tall.    which might not work for me. 

I also looked at the Livin' Lite and Camp Lite trailers. They seem better made than the ones coming g our of Elkhart, but honestly with the exception of the Airstream, IMHO, nothing checks all of the quality, weight, size and most importantly, attractive qualities, like the T@b. 

I am pretty excited for everything nüCamp has in the works. I love what they have done with the rear end of the 400 (I know that sounds funny.) It is such an elegant design. I also love the simplicity of the their winter bypass, and the ease of access. I am also a huge fan of the move towards the Euro design and some of the modern touches they have asthetically. 

I have been personally, amazed at home much people want the wood cabinets. People seem to equate natural wood with higher qualiy. I would imagine they could be less susceptible to warping, too. If you use quality engineered materials, they can be both lighter and stronger than natural wood and give you more flexibility with asthetics. I am not a huge fan of painted wood and would love to be able to change up my interior, some to break up that all birch look. 

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    edited August 2018
    mreric said:
    . . . so far i found a Canadian manufacturer that make  very low profile trailer.   they also seen to have dealers in the USA.   but they seem to have no A/C
    Pro-Lite actually got me started on the search for the "right for me" small trailer.  At that time there was a U.S. dealer in Great Lakes region and another in the east . . . not ideal for a west coast shopper.  Most of the models I was considering did have A/C options, just not standard.

Pro-Lite remained on my top three list while investigating R-Pod, Aliner, and many others.  The build quality of those brands compared to a T@B I briefly looked at while at an Aliner dealer was night & day different.

Then I found a Pro-Lite YouTube video, made for dealers, on how Pro-Lite built the units.  The focus on very low dry weight resulted in materials & construction methods that I was not comfortable with for long life, frequent usage.

At that point nearly 100% of my searching was at T@B dealer studying model differences, what I needed/wanted, and how to justify the T@B price point.  Focused on / researched T@B for three months before placing an order.

While only a 6-month old owner . . . Zero regrets or concerns about my choice to go with a T@B.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    https://golittleguy.com/lg-mini/

Should look at these I guess 
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    jkjenn said:

I have been personally, amazed at home much people want the wood cabinets. People seem to equate natural wood with higher qualiy. I would imagine they could be less susceptible to warping, too. If you use quality engineered materials, they can be both lighter and stronger than natural wood and give you more flexibility with asthetics. I am not a huge fan of painted wood and would love to be able to change up my interior, some to break up that all birch look. 
    I love the real wood (non-laminate) cabinets but I think that NuCamp could reduce weight and improve usability by switching the upper doors to marine-style sliding doors.  I think that they work better in small spaces because you're not pulling the door out into the space (of course, switching to the top hinges has been an improvement on the later models).
    https://www.hallberg-rassy.com/fileadmin/gallery/hallbergrassy372interior/HR372galley3846Stoss.jpg

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited August 2018

No idea what they cost, but the Hymer North America Eriba Retro (called Eriba Touring in EU) is around 18 ft long and less than 8 ft high with roof in tow position.
    My guess is they are a lot more expensive and certainly heavier than a T@B 320.

Our T@B has everything we need or want. The only thing lacking is more time to enjoy it.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
    Looking around so many trailer ....  Seem that the t@b is the only trailer out there that is under 8 feet to be able to fit inside my garage.    I guess if the height was not an issue then there is a few trailerthat would meet my need.  
    I guess I was wishing that there were other options to look at and consider. 
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @mreric Garage door height limitations have been discussed many times. Search on garage door and look them over. Some folks have gotten 12” rims and switch out their tires to get their trailer in the garage. Maybe an approach like that that frees you up to look at other possibilities. There may have been other solutions, I didn’t read them. Good luck!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Not really competition (dissimilar look & feel), but when looking for something bigger than 320S, with larger tanks, and no dinette, but still car towable we were intrigued by:

https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/1475/

But the upcoming NuCamp Euro will likely fit the bill when we upgrade in a couple years.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Capt_KLRCapt_KLR Member Posts: 38
    Nope. Fit and finish and it fits in my garage. 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    The problem with some of the other small, boutique RVs is they do not have a dealer network.  So, I think you must travel to the factory/distributor.  They have a system in place to manage warranty claims, but you still need to vet the repair work.  And they have even bigger price tags.  We wanted something with fewer moving parts (no slides, no expanding roofs), and further narrowed down our choice by eliminating the heavier and unappealing Eggs (Scamp, Casita, Trillium, Oliver, and Snoozy - sounds like the 7 dwarfs) and the towable refrigerators (pick one of many).  My DH just loves that every time he opens our Tab door, he is still impressed by the quality construction and aesthetics and it really is a huge part of his enjoyment of our Tab.  I understand the need to store the RV on property.  We are actively house hunting to get closer to my aging parents, and having the Tab garaged at home is an essential element of our search.  We have gone as far as calling building departments to check on the codes and lot setback rules and that will play into our decision.  Oy!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    I only use the trailer about 5 times per year.   so being able to store inside the garage really minimize the cost of ownership for me.  also the length,  16ft  and under allows for cheaper registration in my state. 

I just found out the new aliner Ascape ST are now made with a bathroom  but the price seem to be just as close as the T@b.  it is also a tad over 8 feet  -  i might be able to change the wheels to make it lower.