Options

Torsion Axles

falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
I vaguely remember seeing a T@B 400 that had the arm of the torsion axle facing forward rather than aft as it should be.  I haven't had the opportunity to see many 400's as the closest dealer is about 3.5 hours from me and I cannot run out and look at one on the lot.  I would appreciate it if someone would look at their 400 (or any nuCamp teardrop, actually) and tell me if my memory is correct about the direction the arm faces.  Unless I am remembering incorrectly (not unlikely) I wonder if the one I saw was installed improperly or if NuCamp has a specific reason to reverse the normal installation.  I would think there would be suspension issues and brake issues if the trailing arm is in fact a "leading" arm.
As a side note, for anyone with an engineering type mind, the difference between the regular axle and the "pitched axle" used on the Boondock package is that on the regular axle the trailing arm is pitched 10 degrees down from horizontal and the "pitched axle" is pitched 22.5 degrees down from horizontal.  Obviously, since the arm on the "pitched axle" is pointed farther down when at rest the trailer will sit higher than with the regular axle--thus the added 2.75" of ground clearance.

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2018
    The torsion bar on my 400 is facing and is positioned to the rear of the trailer.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    . . . difference between the regular axle and the "pitched axle" used on the Boondock package is that on the regular axle the trailing arm is pitched 10 degrees down from horizontal and the "pitched axle" is pitched 22.5 degrees down from horizontal. 
    . . . thus the added 2.75" of ground clearance.
    To be clear your are only talking about the T@B 400 regular vs. Boondock axle differences, correct?
    = - = - = - =
    Earlier threads for the T@B 320 define that difference as 22.5 degrees Up to 22.5 degrees Down

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Muttonchops--
    Yes I am specifically interested in the T@B 400 axles.  Nucamp told me that the part numbers for the two axles were 8136692 for the regular axle and 8136695 for the Bookdock axle.  Those are apparently NuCamp part numbers.  When I called Dexter the lady I spoke with said that both of those axles were #10F axles with xxxxx92 rated at 4000 lbs and xxxxx95 rated at 3900 lbs.  That last bit of info makes me wonder if she had the correct axles--and thus the correct angles.  A net 45 degree change would seem more likely to provide the increased clearance claimed.  However, I don't think the change in clearance is 5.2".  I measured a diff of 2.75" when I had an opportunity to compare a regular trailer with one with the Boondock mod.  This was on a dealer lot so I doubt the difference in weight as they sat there could have been very much if anything.
    Michigan_Mike--
    Thanks for checking.  Either I got myself turned around crawling under the trailer in the hot Texas sun or there is at least one trailer existing with the axle installed backwards. 
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    . . . change in clearance of 5.2" is for the T@B 320 . . .
    I've not seen any posting or NuCamp document with T@B 400 clearance change other than your measurement.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Muttonchops--
    So now I wonder if it would be worth the effort to get the Boondock axle on a T@B 400.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Muttonchops--
    So now I wonder if it would be worth the effort to get the Boondock axle on a T@B 400.
    There was no Boondock option available when I bought my 320 and I had the axle swapped. The extra clearance makes a difference if you are going to do much boondocking. If you camp primarily in established CGs, it is probably not necessary.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Muttonchops--
    There was no Boondock option available when I bought my 320 and I had the axle swapped. The extra clearance makes a difference if you are going to do much boondocking. If you camp primarily in established CGs, it is probably not necessary.
    Was there an upcharge to swap the axle or was it a wash?
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Mine was done a year after I owned it, so I had to pay for the axle and labor. I would expect there would be an up charge for this axle.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    SubmarinerSubmariner Member Posts: 14
    I have an 06 320 CS and I want to put a "boondock" axle under it.  first to improve the ride of the trailer and also to improve the ground clearance of the trailer.  I am thinking my old axle is a bit worn and I cannot repair the rubber mount in the axle.  So what axle should I get and where?  I am in Washington State.
    Retired Navy, 20 years submarine force, 13 years onboard boats, about 9 years underwater, and you ask that silly question, "Why are you that way?"   LOL
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    I doubt the current Dexter TaB axle,is going to directly bolt on to a Dutchman TaB, as these had a European made frame assembly on them.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    SubmarinerSubmariner Member Posts: 14
    I am sure that there is a way.  Just need a smoke wrench, some shade tree wisdom,  a little duct tape and a string of bailing wire, a case of beer and a few days in the shop.  anything can work out well.  That is the Way.
    Retired Navy, 20 years submarine force, 13 years onboard boats, about 9 years underwater, and you ask that silly question, "Why are you that way?"   LOL
  • Options
    nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 63
    A number of years ago I did a "lift kit" that was offered on a T@G along with 14" tires.  I would love to upgrade to a boondock axle on my 2021 CS-S and still may do it, but be aware that if you raise your trailer it sets off what I call a "domino effect."  It affects your hitch height.  It affects how tall the stove is at the back of the CS-S.  It affect the height of the step as you get in the trailer.  For those with a CS-S it will raise the height of the back hatch door - which is a positive thing - your head won't be sore from hitting the latch knobs.