Options

Watch Out For Mag Chloride!

Magnesium chloride is often used for preventing icing on roads, but here in the mountains it’s also used to hold down the dust on our many dirt roads.  Several weeks ago we went north of Pagosa Springs to one of our favorite campgrounds, and caught that 20mile road just behind some graders and mag chloride sprayers.  When we finished camping I took the truck and T@B through a self spray car wash and thought I’d gotten most of that nast mud/salt off...but this weekend I noticed a LOT of wear and rust on the front edge of our step...so I spent today taking it off, scraping, and spraying several coats of paint on.  The leading edge of the axle had some rust on it too.  Lesson learned
!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

Comments

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Wow, that's awful.  Good warning for others, thanks.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    If I had more energy and time I would’ve taken the step to get sand blasted and powder coated...maybe next time!

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Oh boy.  What elso did it do to the underside and axles?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Mag chloride is nasty stuff, the DOT here in Oregon uses it as a de-icer, it is less corrosive than salt, but still does damage. I had heard some aftermarket wheels are non longer warranted against corrosion since the DOT started spraying that stuff. Keeping the undercarriage clean is good maintenance!
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Magnesium chloride is often used for preventing icing on roads, but here in the mountains it’s also used to hold down the dust on our many dirt roads.  Several weeks ago we went north of Pagosa Springs to one of our favorite campgrounds, and caught that 20mile road just behind some graders and mag chloride sprayers.  When we finished camping I took the truck and T@B through a self spray car wash and thought I’d gotten most of that nast mud/salt off...but this weekend I noticed a LOT of wear and rust on the front edge of our step...so I spent today taking it off, scraping, and spraying several coats of paint on.  The leading edge of the axle had some rust on it too.  Lesson learned
    !
    I totally got clobbered with it going over Kebler Pass back in 2015. Nasty is right! I was able to get it off, right away, thankfully 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    edited September 2018
    @DurangoTaB being in CT they use this stuff like drinking water around here and it’s a constant battle with rust.  I would recommend POR15 on that.  It’s a very strong epoxy coat that will last and totally stop the rust.  You can actually paint over the rust and it will stop it completely (hence the POR acronym).  It will fade though so you’ll want to spray it will something afterward.  https://www.por15.com/

A small can can goes a long way.  I usually get the 4oz cans.
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM...the axle wasn’t near as bad as the lading face of the step.  The killer was the combo of fresh/wet mag chloride and miles of gravel/dusty road.  I really like the POR15 tip...I may at least do that front side of the step with it.  There are also spots on the front stabilizer arms I’ll have to touch up.  The undercarriage itself is fine...

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Yup, the front edge of the step seems to be the most vulnerable to chipping and rusting.  Mine is not bad yet, but I'll probably be reaching for the paint brush to give it a touch up before too long. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Just got my warranty replacement 2019 Tab today and they totally changed the step out to a different type, its all aluminum now.  My 2018 prior was already starting to rust and I didn't even have it that long, only about 3 months.
  • Options
    @dhauf... so many changes from LG/NuCamp’s never-ending learnings and improvements!  It was interesting to peak into the 2018 T@Bs in February...the Lagun table, movement of the TV screen, upgrading the Alde to 3020, etc.  I’m wondering what else is new and improved on the 2019...is that something they highlighted (or do so in their marketing)?

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    edited September 2018
    @dhauf....niiiice!  Thanks for the details! I see a porthole in the bathroom too...

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @DurangoTaB, the T@Bitha of mine had the bathroom porthole and it was lovely! So much more light. It had the waterproof venetian blind. No, you cannot moon your sister in the next campsite unless you do special, secret T@B yoga and it's nighttime. No pictures... didn't happen. :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    Very nice rig, I like the new front platform a lot. Is the fridge 2-way or 3-way? I saw a 2019 on a dealer website that listed a 2-way so was wondering if that's something new. 
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    Thanks!  The wife and I are really enjoying it!  Fridge is still the same 3 Way unit as my 2018.
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    It's amazing how much better these trailers get every year. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    dhauf said:
     I would recommend POR15 on that.  It’s a very strong epoxy coat that will last and totally stop the rust.  You can actually paint over the rust and it will stop it completely (hence the POR acronym).  It will fade though so you’ll want to spray it will something afterward.  https://www.por15.com/
    A friend that snow plows suggests VHT SP229 Rust Converter...he's tried everything else and swears by this for the hydraulic lines, frame etc. on his tractor... Available from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP229-Rust-Convertor-Can/dp/B002NUABUO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537187481&sr=8-1&keywords=VHT+rust+converter+spray

Also paint-able and dries when it gets on adjacent surfaces...a problem with many of the rust binders is what it does to paint.