Options

New T@B Inspection List

I’m about to buy a new-off-the-lot 2018 T@B Boondock S. Yesterday I spent a half hour looking over it with a fine-toothed comb, but I’m not sure what kind of things I might want to look for. Of course I will have them demonstrate the AC, heat, hot water, water, toilet and stuff, but what other things should I look at, particularly considering that this camper has been sitting on the lot for a year?

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited October 2018
    Check out the battery they installed and you could always ask them for a group 27 and offer to pay the difference from the likely group 24. Here’s a suggestion for checking the tire manufactured date, I don’t know how often they move the trailers around the lot: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/94248#Comment_94248. You can video their instructions with a smart phone if they are knowledgeable, for future reference. And if you really think they know what they’re talking about, ask them about the plumbing under the back bench while they’re explaining the Alde and the Alde controls! And check the date of the T@B’s manufacture, it should be on a sticker on the driver side of the tongue-a 2018 could have been built in mid 2017.

Exciting!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
    Group 27 - as a newbie that's something I had not heard before. Quick lookup - extra power and durability with no maintenance, 2x more charge/discharge cycles than a conventional flooded battery, Charges up to 40% faster than comparable flooded batteries, deal for long periods in storage. Guessing it is also okay for solar charging. My 320S Boondock (2018) came with a wet battery. Think with just the little I have read, will upgrade to a group 27 when the other one eventually starts to die.
    SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    I would personally check for any signs of water intrusion.  Makes sure any areas like the outdoor shower caulk are in good shape etc.  The hatch door also if it has one.  The caulk can dry up and shrink after sitting in the sun that long and create areas that leak.  Check under the bench seat areas along the side where there is exposed wood and look any signs of water damage. It wouldn't hurt to pump up the water system to pressure also and check around for any plumbing leaks if you can.
  • Options
    SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
    For checking - I checked that the little yellow value was there for the Alde - on one of the outlets from the Alde system under the bench (someone had mentioned on theirs it was not there). When picked mine up they spent a good hour or more with me going over everything, really take the time, and do not feel rushed. Had them 'use' everything, start fridge on propane, stove burners, fantastic fan, radio/dvd, where main fuses are, outlets, even once hooked up to your vehicle all brake/turn signals. How the main battery 'turn off/on'  works for charging battery and also charging while towing. I read a few things on this forum and made notes to take with me - things to ask. Having notes helped me a lot, as on the spot, I just tended to forget. - Hope this helps.
    SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    edited October 2018
    Tire pressure, look for rust, check under both benches for critter intrusion.  Make sure they unscrew the bench lid that houses the Alde and show you the fuses.  Make sure that the Alde is turned off before they disconnect power to prevent a fuse blowing the first time you plug in.  BTW do you have a surge protector and adapters?  Bring them along and have them demonstrate how to use them.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SneakleSneakle Member Posts: 131
    As said, check for evidence of leaks. I too recently bought a 2018 boondock 320s that had probably been on the lot for a year. I had not looked under the back seat on driver's side and later found water staining indicating previous standing water near all that plumbing. The dealer was not helpful but NuCamp warranty jumped in and is hauling it back to Ohio to evaluate/repair. Other item I had a gripe with was the battery that I assume the dealer installs. It was a base model car battery. But overall, I 'm happy it's in the builder's hands and looking forward to getting it back. 
    Tab 320s Boondock
    TV: Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    SueBC said:
    Group 27 - as a newbie that's something I had not heard before. Quick lookup - extra power and durability with no maintenance, 2x more charge/discharge cycles than a conventional flooded battery, Charges up to 40% faster than comparable flooded batteries, deal for long periods in storage. Guessing it is also okay for solar charging. My 320S Boondock (2018) came with a wet battery. Think with just the little I have read, will upgrade to a group 27 when the other one eventually starts to die.
    @SueBC, Group 27 just indicates the size of the battery. I have one in my T@B but it's still a standard flooded wet cell. The increased size does provide extra power, but otherwise it's no different from the smaller group 24 batteries typically installed in T@Bs.
    What you describe sounds more like an AGM battery. Many owners have upgraded to these. They also come in different sizes and offer the advantages you mention. Of course, they also typically come with an increased price!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    That sounds like great advice. One good thing is that they don't have batteries installed in the unsold trailers, so they will put a new one in when the prep for sale. I am negotiating a new AGM battery to go with a year-old AGM battery I already have. 

I like the idea of finding the manufactured date. If it's been sitting for 9-12 months, that is very different from sitting 18-24 months. I was also going to look at the tire manufacture date. 

The most critical thing seems to be an obsessive inspection for water leaks or intrusion from any place.  I may ask them to fill the water a day or two in advance so that I can see if it has any leaks when the whole system is primed. 

I am still going back and forth on solar. The camper doesn't have the neat and tidy factory solar that I like, so they are trying to figure out how to make their 200 watt zamp solar install look clean. I can compromise a bit on that, but I'm not gonna tell them. 

The sales-guy wasn't thrilled by my interest in matching the installed battery with my AGM, but I'm sure they will do it when they figure out that it's completely reasonable for them to upcharge me for it, and an AGM battery costs lots more than a normal lead acid car battery. The one I have is an oddball group 34 (it was cheap) which is identical to a more standard group 24 but 1" shorter. I'm asking them to match it with a group 24. I'm trying to keep weight down, so I don't want to go crazy with big batteries, but I do want everything setup and configured for AGM from the dealer. I'm not sure what the ramifications of AGM batteries are on the setup for shore power and shore-power charging. 
  • Options
    What are you trying to gain by adding an old battery with a new battery, which, BTW, is not typically recommended.  
  • Options
    What are you trying to gain by adding an old battery with a new battery, which, BTW, is not typically recommended.  
    The battery is only a year old and has never been discharged. It has been on a maintenance charge on and off for most of that year. I'm not concerned that mating it with a new battery will be problem. It may not be super-optimal, but the combo  will be at least 190% of a single battery.

Most importantly I want to avoid wasting the $$ and environmental cost of a discarded battery, and approx 190% performance is close enough for me.

(and I like all the other benefits of AGM batteries)

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    One thing I might suggest is to take your phone and make a video of the demonstrations and questions you have. You will be on information overload. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    So, will the batteries be the same amp hr rating?
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Is the Alde a 3010 or 3020?  Will you be camping at higher altitudes?

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    I don’t know which Alde it is.  I may be camping as high as 4,000 or occasionally 5,000 feet.  3,500 feet would be very common for me.