Unhitching hassle

Our T@B is new this summer and I've encountered a couple of occasions in which it really puts up a fight while unhitching. With the lever up and the ball cover tilted back, the hitch just refuses to let go of the ball - until, that is, the TV and the trailer are perfectly in line, no angle on the hitch. Is this normal? Any ideas?

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    If your TaB and/or TV are not level you may find it difficult to hitch or unhitch.  If you are sure the jack has been cranked up to the appropriate level, try rocking the Tab using the handles.  Oftentimes, this movement is enough to seat or unseat the coupler from the ball.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    Second that @Sharon_is_SAM , sometimes can't latch the coupler when hitching, rocking the T@B or the TV definitively works
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    I've found that it seems to help if I skootch the trailer slightly forward after backing up, My theory is that it slightly changes how the coupler is sitting on the ball.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    And, lithium grease.  On the ball, and inside the coupler.  For the first few trips mine was a bit difficult, and I pushed the trailer back and forth a bit, as described here.  It eventually loosened up and works now fairly easily as long as I keep it lubed.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited October 2018
    Mosey on over to the category called User Manuals/Videos then select Hitching and Towing Help.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    After chocking the wheels, I usually have to pull the ball tightly forward on the coupler in order to move the retainer up and back. Afterwards I usually have to back up a bit and relieve the pressure so the coupler will pop off the ball. It's a bit a pain but I manage.
    The issue is due in part to the particular design of the Atwood coupler, which is designed to not pop off the ball if the trailer might roll forward into your T/V. A little silicone spray might loosen things up a bit, but I've yet to give that a try. 
    2015 T@B S
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited October 2018
    If everything is well greased, I don't usually have too many problems, but it's not uncommon for me to have to push the trailer back away from the tow vehicle slightly to get the coupler to to release.  In most situations, a small manual push is enough.  In rare situations, where the trailer is being pushed strongly into the tow vehicle, I might have to chock the trailer wheels, and move the tow vehicle forward a fraction of an inch, to relieve the pressure pushing the ball into the rear of the coupler. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    +2 on lithium grease.

It was taking me literally hours to unhitch when I first brought my 400 home in July.  Before each trip I spray the ball and the hitch with lithium grease.  I also cover the ball with a rubber cover to keep the damp weather from rusting the ball when I’m not towing,

I also now step back to check to make sure the truck and 400 are level with each other before I hitch up or when I unhitch. 

Both of these steps save a lot of frustration, believe me. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    ScottG said:
    After chocking the wheels, I usually have to pull the ball tightly forward on the coupler in order to move the retainer up and back. Afterwards I usually have to back up a bit and relieve the pressure so the coupler will pop off the ball. It's a bit a pain but I manage.
    The issue is due in part to the particular design of the Atwood coupler, which is designed to not pop off the ball if the trailer might roll forward into your T/V. A little silicone spray might loosen things up a bit, but I've yet to give that a try. 
    The key is to relieve the forward pressure caused by an uneven height or even not connecting straight on. Moving forward or backward until I hear the satisfying, "thump" or until level usually does the trick. I keep the chains on and the jack wheel on until I can close the coupler. To verify that I have a solid connection, I will raise the jack until it lifts the tow vehicle.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    Lithium grease? When we bought our T@B in Airdrie last August I asked about grease. Both salesman and manager said not to use any "because it attracts dirt and sand and will ruin the hitch."  I thought this strange as my farmer background says "grease everything twice".
    Any suggestions?

...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    Well, it does attract dirt and sand.  But, without some type of lubrication, you will have issues releasing the hitch, and all the beating and banging on it will ruin the hitch.  I go with your "grease everything twice and if it is in a spray can keep spraying."

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I hardly ever have a situation where I'm able to unhitch in a "level and straight on" position. Maybe that explains some of the difficulty. Regardless, a little finesse always does the trick.  ;-) 
    2015 T@B S
    ScottG said: io
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I hardly ever have a situation where I'm able to unhitch in a "level and straight on" position. Maybe that explains some of the difficulty. Regardless, a little finesse always does the trick.  ;-) 
    I recently had a friend helping me as I was prepping to leave for a trip and of course my spot at home is not at all level. He was applying all sorts of force and I stopped him and suggested that zi carefully pull into alley. Where it is flat. Bingo! 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    @DougWW I use silicone spray on the hitch & ball. I "think" it's cleaner and doesn't attract so much dirt-at least that is what I've previously read. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

This is what I use:  

I have used silicone grease on my garage door tracks for 27 years and it attracts so much dirt that I wouldn’t use it on my hitch. This white lithium grease doesn’t attract dirt.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Verna said:
    This is what I use:  

I have used silicone grease on my garage door tracks for 27 years and it attracts so much dirt that I wouldn’t use it on my hitch. This white lithium grease doesn’t attract dirt.
    Agree 

So this "grease" comes in a spray can like WD-40? Is it really grease? It must be pretty thin to get out of that can, but perhaps it thickens up on application?
    I can hardly contain my curiosity!  :-)
    2015 T@B S
    @ScottG, it comes out of the can as a thicker spray than WD40 or other oils. A little bit goes a long way. I learned to use it from this forum, but I can’t remember who suggested it. I do also have some in a tube for other things that I don’t want to spray. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • scotty0424scotty0424 Member Posts: 17
    Mosey on over to the category called User Manuals/Videos then select Hitching and Towing Help.
    Good video. The new information there is that there's a lock in the front part of the socket. You have to relieve pressure on the lock to unhitch. Good to know. Thanks.
  • kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    also new to hitching and have had trouble at times when trying to hitch ball has to be exactly right-but each time i just moved up slightly with my tow vehicle and clunk-it went in
  • kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    I am going to get some of that lithium grease though in case i need it-also thanks for the tip about grabing the handles and rocking the trailer a little
  • rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Boeshield T-9. Developed by Boeing to protect and lubricate inaccessible areas on planes and space vehicles. Dries to a white film that lubricates, protects against rust and corrosion and doesn’t attract dust, sand or dirt. Not cheap but worth every cent. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    I'll second that motion--and it won't rub off on your leg if you brush by the ball or hitch.
  • DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    Thanks to everyone for the comments on grease. I "should" have some Boeshield T-9 for the bicycle chains... I'll give that a try in the Spring when I dig the T@B out of the drifts.
    ...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.