Options

FYI Progressive HW30c EMS

While we were out this week I encountered an error code while hooking up our T@B.  I always check the pedestal before I hook up, with the plug in 3 light circuit tester.  All tested good so I made our connection.  When I went inside I noticed the trouble code e02 and consulted the card with the codes.  It indicated a missing ground connection, and it had shut down the shore power.  I rechecked the pedestal and also the outlet by the counter sink.  Still showed good on the tester and the gfi had not tripped.  I over rode the EMS got power back and Called Progressive.  It was later Sunday afternoon and no one was at work so I left a message.  We had very spotty Cell coverage so was not able to get a call back.  We had camped at this exact spot earlier in the year but did not have the Progressive system.  When we got home we had a message from Progressive and I returned their call.  I explained to the service tech the issue and he said the pedestal had a bad ground.  I mentioned that I also try to have the Alde system off when powering up and Down.  He suggested that I should open the control center and remove the time delay jumper.  This will give a 130 second buffer on power.

Moral as I see it, The Progressive caught something I did not know and did it's Job.  Really like the system, And,  Not sure how much I trust the plug in circuit tester.
2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    atlasb said:
    While we were out this week I encountered an error code while hooking up our T@B.  I always check the pedestal before I hook up, with the plug in 3 light circuit tester.  All tested good so I made our connection.  When I went inside I noticed the trouble code e02 and consulted the card with the codes.  It indicated a missing ground connection, and it had shut down the shore power.  I rechecked the pedestal and also the outlet by the counter sink.  Still showed good on the tester and the gfi had not tripped.  I over rode the EMS got power back and Called Progressive.  It was later Sunday afternoon and no one was at work so I left a message.  We had very spotty Cell coverage so was not able to get a call back.  We had camped at this exact spot earlier in the year but did not have the Progressive system.  When we got home we had a message from Progressive and I returned their call.  I explained to the service tech the issue and he said the pedestal had a bad ground.  I mentioned that I also try to have the Alde system off when powering up and Down.  He suggested that I should open the control center and remove the time delay jumper.  This will give a 130 second buffer on power.

Moral as I see it, The Progressive caught something I did not know and did it's Job.  Really like the system, And,  Not sure how much I trust the plug in circuit tester.
    It caught the same error for me, once.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @atlasb, what 3 light tester do you use prior to the EMS and what do you expect to identify that the EMS can’t?

I read the RVTravel.com newsletter and the RV electrical guru Mike Sokol now writes a column.  He advocates first checking the pedestal with a NCVT (non-contact voltage tester) to identify loss of ground to avoid a potential Hot Skin event.  There is actually a group of RVTravel.com members who have volunteered to check campground pedestals and report their findings to campground managers and to Mike Sokol to help define the limits of these kinds of problems.  

http://rvtravel.com/how-to-check-pedestal-power-when-hooking-up/
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @Sharon_is_SAM thanks for the NCVT info! Didn't know that existed. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    This is why I like the Progressive surge protection system and had it included as part of our new T@B 400 build by nuCamp.  You really don’t know what you are plugging your trailer into and I have seen many pedestals that have sustained damage via people backing their trailers into them and obviously over the years many of the ground wires and electrical connections are damaged as a result.  

Having a built in surge protection system eliminates not only the manual work, but also provides insurance for the trailer and the peace of mind in knowing that your sensitive and expensive electrical components within it (e.g., the Alde, TV, Jensen, lights, etc.) are being protected and monitored at all times.  Well worth the initial investment cost!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    You bet @Ratkity.  We added this ritual to our check before backing into our site.
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    I have the EMS PT30X and it popped an error code for reverse polarity this summer when I plugged in and did not send power through the cord. My process to hook up is to first flip the breaker at the post and wait a minute (at the advice of the camp host), then plug in the EMS and wait for it to go through testing. I do this while I'm still leveling, just in case I have to move. Once it's done and on, then I plug in the cord. 

The camp host said most campers do not use anything and plug right in and he knew of this problem post. Luckily the 20amp plug was fine.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    The NCVT is to determine if the pedestal itself is live.  It is used to prevent shock and identify if you should not plug in anything.
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    edited October 2018
    Hi Sharon,  I use the Southwire 400105 Receptacle Tester.  Pretty common and I check for open Ground, Neutral, hot, Hot& Neutral rev, Hot & Ground rev and correct wiring.  I have always used this before plugging in and even around the home and shop to check any wiring I suspect might have an issue.  The Progressive EMS caught the Open ground but the tester did not.  Will try one of the NCVT units also.  Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    @atlasb, so you use an adapter for the 30 amp receptacle and you test the 20 amp outlet, too?  I realized that we have one of these, but we have not used it yet.  I don’t think we have used the 20 amp outlet on a pedestal yet.  One more thing to think about!
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Yes, I use a 20 amp female to 30 amp male adapter with the tester plugged into it.  I also have a 50 amp pigtail if we can only get 50 amp. Don't usually use the 20 amp rec though.  If I need 20 amp for bucket light or oven (muffins outside or biscuits) I use the rec on the side of the 400. 
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @dsfdogs
    If I understand this correctly, the procedure is to turn the pedestal breaker OFF, plug the EMS PT-30X into the outlet, connect your umbilical cord to the EMS PT-30X, connect the umbilical cord to the trailer, and then reset the breaker on the pedestal?  After the EMS PT-30X completes its checks, if everything is OK, power then flows to the trailer.  If the pedestal does NOT check OK theEMS PT-30X will not allow power to the trailer?
  • Options
    @falcon1970, with the pedestal breaker off, plug the EMS into the 30 amp pedestal outlet, then turn on the pedestal breaker.  In the meantime, as the EMS goes through it’s check, plug the TaB power cord into the TaB.

After the EMS checks out ok, plug the TaB power cord into the EMS. 
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    Ok thanks, I'll turn off the pedestal breaker then plug in the EMS and so forth. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5