Battery/ Fridge/Towing

I have a T@b 320S.  Can I run the refrigerator with battery on while towing?  
2017 320-S

Comments

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Tea We have the 3 way fridge-propane, 12V, 110 in our T@B, and never use the battery for it because it’s a hog, drawing ~3 amps/hr. While propane is very efficient, we don’t use it under tow due to state laws and perhaps an excess of caution We just turn it on in our driveway on shore power 24 hours before we leave, put a 1/2 gallon of frozen water in, and don’t open the door while traveling. Our small cheap cooler contains our traveling food and beverages.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    The 3 way frig on DC draws up to 11 amps and too many owners report that their TV alternators are not able to off-set the draw from the frig and the TaB battery becomes depleted.  Someone recently began running the frig via an inverter while towing and has had success - see last thread.

These may be helpful.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/383/normal-battery-drain-or-problem/p1

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/1661/using-your-3-way-fridge-my-lessons-learned/p1

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6053/operation-of-norcold-3-way-fridge-via-inverter-during-travel
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Oops! I thought 3 amps per hour was bad!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    I'll disagree with the generalization "too many folks report problems due to the tow vehicle alternator not being able to off-set"  the 3-way Fridge current demand.  People having issues do make posts to seek help while most of us that use 12VDC from the tow vehicle don't post about our non-problems. ;)

It is important that you research, learn, know your specific tow vehicle.  In general vehicles intended for towing like larger SUVs and pickup trucks do just fine.  Vehicles designed for passenger use that can tow tend to see more initial problems until the tow vehicle wiring is modified.

As an example many newer vehicles use variable output alternators however most of those also automatically switch to higher output when the Headlights are turned-on.
    Example
    Chevy Colorado Real-World Data
    'Haul On' = Tow/Haul Feature that modifies several driving parameters
    'Lights On' = Normal driving mode with just headlights on (higher output)

Other factors to research/watch for are tow vehicle wire sizes, most with a 7-pin factory installed connector are 30A while some like the Honda Ridgeline are 20A.  Read your owners manualAsk here if others tow with your vehicle.  Check your vehicle forum for alternator/towing discussions.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • DcarltonDcarlton Member Posts: 19
    I just chill it down before I leave by plugging in and turning it on the night before.  Sometimes I will put a bowl of ice in if I want to chill it quickly.   I fill it up with my supplies, toss a couple of frozen water bottles in, turn it off, and go.  It’s always plenty cold two or three hours later when I arrive. 

I really like the three way fridge. It’s silent which is important to me. I never have any trouble lighting it, and I think it works nicely.
  • rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    edited November 2018
    Just an FYI. According to the N180.3 installation manual it draws 11.7 amps @ 12v. As mentioned by Dcarlton, I prechill on 120v and then switch to 12v while towing. I tow with a 2017 Ridgeline and it has no issues maintaining temp and keeping up with the amperage draw while towing.
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited November 2018
    @Tea, the short answer is yes. The 12V setting on the 3-way fridge is intended to be used while towing (and only while towing). This of course assumes that you have a properly wired 12V charge line on your tow vehicle's 7-pin electrical harness.
    That said, I find that when using the 12V setting, my tow vehicle can't quite keep up, and the T@B battery gets a little depleted en route. Because I mostly dry camp and like to arrive in camp with a full battery, I usually do what jgram2 and Dcarlton suggest (pre-chilling and throwing in a block of ice) when heading out. When returning, I will run the fridge on 12V if needed, because I can always top up the battery at home.
    And, for the record, I agree with the generalization of "too many" people reporting issues. It applies to me, and that's one too many!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S
  • IstokpogaIstokpoga Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2018
    Personal experience with our 180.3 is not as satisfying on 12v. TV is older Nissan Titan wi/ tow package. 130A capable alternator, 30A fused wiring to 7-pin. With fridge stabilized at 35-37*F the temp will rise to 52-59* within 3 hours of (Florida) driving, say 80-90* ambient. I have not yet addressed the known mods of heavier 12v wiring to and from the fridge, directly to the battery. The battery does not get drained at all under these circumstances and will stabilize at about 12.7V after a full day of this (after surface charge dissipation), which tells me the TV is providing adequate amperage-the fridge just doesn't keep up.
     Fortunately, the fridge operates just fine at any road speed on propane and has only "blown out" once in several thousand miles of travel, including interstate. I just check it when we stop every two or three hours 
    Just my $0.02, and my experience doesn't presume others are somehow wrong. 
    Fred & Victoria with Bichons Venus & Gator; On the shores of Lake Istokpoga, Florida; Tan@Bell@ 2017 Teal & White 320 S towed by a 2004 Nissan Titan and occasionally by GatorRoo, a 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6 L 
    "It's great to be a Florida Gator!"
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @Istokpoga, so in your case, it appears the frig can’t draw enough voltage to keep up with higher ambient temps?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • IstokpogaIstokpoga Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2018
    @Sharon_is_SAM that is correct.  It does run-the fins stay cool and you can feel the heat at the exterior vents. Some, as I said, have reported using heavier gauge 12v wiring and grounding directly to the battery as helpful. 
    This is our third rv, first trailer, and I've always had good luck using propane-very efficient. I do generally shut it off around busy gas pumps for good measure, even though the gas fill on our TV is on the driver's side. 
    Fred & Victoria with Bichons Venus & Gator; On the shores of Lake Istokpoga, Florida; Tan@Bell@ 2017 Teal & White 320 S towed by a 2004 Nissan Titan and occasionally by GatorRoo, a 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6 L 
    "It's great to be a Florida Gator!"