Options

Alde Glycol Exchange

2»

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I would suggest if you gravity drain once a year. Refilled with a 50/50 mix you would never need to pump the system completely. That way a pump would never be needed. The cost would only be for 1/2 gal. of transfer fluid a year around $20.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    edited December 2018
    do we have to worry so much about getting all the fluid out?  as Daleheman stated,  a drain and refill every year or year and half might be easier to do. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    It appears that if the glycol tests "good", then nuCamp does not seem to worry about mixing old with new.  This based on owner's observations that only a gallon drains, thus assuming gravity drain leaves some behind.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
    I'm guilty of not thinking much about my four year old Outback's heating system which has been working great. However last camping trip it did seem to gurgle more than I remembered. When I got home I started looking. I just checked the level in the expansion tank and it's fine. Thanks to this forum I could find the tank. I like to do as much maintenance myself because I like saving money and the dealer is not close by. Since I've waited so long should I have the dealer completely replace the glycol? How can I test the fluid that's in the tank to see if it is still anti-corrosive? If I can without risking the system I'd much rather just drain what I can by gravity and then fill it up to the proper level. Can I assume the old fluid is non-toxic and just pour it out on the ground? I don't think it would be good for our home's septic tank. Thanks for any advice you can give.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited September 2020
    No, do not let the glycol run on the ground.  You should properly dispose of the old glycol, by taking it to a auto repair or RV service (you may need tp pay a fee), or home hazmat collection service.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited September 2020
    This is from the Century Transfer Fluid Safety Data Sheet:
    · 6.2 Environmental precautions: Do not allow to enter sewers/ surface or ground water.

· 13.1 Waste treatment methods · Recommendation
    Can be burned with household garbage after consulting with the waste disposal facility operator and the pertinent authorities and adhering to the necessary technical regulations.
    Small amounts may be diluted with plenty of water and washed away. Dispose of larger amounts in accordance with Local Authority requirements.
    The user of this material has the responsibility to dispose of unused material, residues and containers in compliance with all relevant local, state and federal laws and regulations regarding treatment, storage and disposal for hazardous and nonhazardous wastes. Residual materials should be treated as hazardous.

Not sure what they call small amounts.  Curious what nuCamp does.        
    You can call your local waste facility and see if they offer a household hazardous waste disposal.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    edited September 2020
    This more recently updated (and much more detailed) discussion includes information about testing and changing glycol.

There have been several older discussions about this topic over the years, with many questions that have ultimately been answered. In order to keep this common topic corralled, I suggest we try to keep new commentary in the discussion I linked to above.
    2015 T@B S