Options

Anyone using the Curt Echo Mobile Trailer Brake Controller?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited August 2020
    IMHO, YMMV -- 
    There were too many F(udge) factors inherent in this device for my tastes so I nixed it as a contender and spent the extra cost to install a hard-wired unit.

First off is location and stability of your 7-pin connector. Is it after-market, factory installed, on the bumper, etc.? That will affect how well the Echo mounts and operates. Ours is a bit flimsy and I could picture the Echo flopping up/down on bumpy dirt roads and I wasn't sure how that might affect operation.

Secondly was Bluetooth versus RF (transmitter/receiver) like the Prodigy wireless unit.
    I've had too many issues pairing my Garmin GPS with my phone to consider BT a reliable connection.

Third strike was the fact you must run the app while driving if you want to monitor/adjust or manually activate your brakes in an emergency (highly unlikely that's practical). 

For more strikes, see above posts.

@TabbyShack also posted this tip about NOT securing the Echo with tape, ties, or whatever as that apparently affects operation.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/144171#Comment_144171

Bottom line: Interesting concept but too many gotchas for me.
    I just want to hook up, glance down at our hardwired unit (Tekonsha P2), and be on our way. 
    I can quickly test the trailer brakes at any time or recalibrate in an empty parking lot. Seems like doing so with an Echo is essentially texting while driving. ;)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    I had similar thoughts, but got an Echo to try it out, installing a Tekonsha P2 on my Jeep Truck was a non starter, no adapter cable avail at the time I was looking into getting one, decided to wait for the  Jeep OEM brake controller (which is still not available), and got the Echo to use mean while.

1. I have factory tow package, bumper mounted trailer connections and the Echo securely mounts to the truck’s 7-pint plug.
    2. I agree RF is better than Bluetooth for wireless connections, but so far, I have not had any Bluetooth connection issues with my iPhone6 and the Echo.
    3.  Yes the phone app must be running to access the trailer brake stop button, calibration is done once and stored in the app, and Echo unit, so you can use the Echo without the phone app once the initial calibration is done.  I have my phone mounted on the Jeep dash between the radio/display console and the steering wheel. For easy access, and I can glance at it just like any other console display.  Down side, I do not have normal phone display available, but my phone is sync’d also with the Jeep display, so I can still receive hands free calls, and use the phone navigation through Apple Play.  So this works well.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    Anyone had Bluetooth connection issues?  We towed home today for the first time and while the connection was solid when the phone was at the hitch, once I brought it up to the front seat it kept cutting in and out throughout the 90 minute trip home. I tried two different phones and had the same behaviour.  I know it is still "safe" and I just don't have that emergency button, but I'd prefer to have it anyways, and it was a pain trying to configure the right settings - I'd have to get out of the car, walk phone back to Bluetooth range, set new parameters, and drive a test drive to see how it behaved.  Annoying! 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Mine works fine, no signal loss using an iPhone SE.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 345
    I just replaced my curt with a tekonsha p3.  The curt never worked smoothly- if it worked at all, it just jerked my 320.  I love the p3.  Different world. 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    My bluetooth connection has always been stable.  Like others though, I've found it to work adequately but not be particularly smooth and the syncing sequence has to be done exactly right and tested to avoid overly agressive braking.  I've moved to a RedArc controller tied into the tow package wiring of my 4Runner.
    Curt is very good though about dealing with problems. IIRC, there is a lifetime warranty. You may want to call them and see if they have a solution or will send you a replacement.
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    Not sure how atypical my experience was,  but our sweet little T@Bs are complicated,  and the path to deciding that the problem was the Curt was windy.   First, I brought my 320 to a trailer mechanic to make sure the brakes were properly adjusted.   They said they were fine,  but I didn't have much confidence in their ability after I discovered that they blew my battery fuse!   It was only by replacing the Curt that it was confirmed that it was the problem.   At this point I'm so happy to have my brakes working perfectly that I'll gladly call this learning experience.... #27!
  • Options
    BonalexanderBonalexander Member Posts: 26
    It was the only option I could use and it works great for me.  First time it took a couple of stops to get the settings right, but in one drive I was good to go!  One thing you have to make sure to check is the indicator  light.  If it isn’t in on your TV correctly the correct color (check manual) light won’t appear and you won’t have the Bluetooth connection to your phone. I know this is something you are likely checking, but good to triple confirm; especially if your drive is bumpy and you’ve decided to make a pit stop.  Once you get the hang of putting it in place correctly it is an amazing little helper! Hope this helps .. good luck!!
  • Options
    It was the only option I could use and it works great for me.  First time it took a couple of stops to get the settings right, but in one drive I was good to go!  One thing you have to make sure to check is the indicator  light.  If it isn’t in on your TV correctly the correct color (check manual) light won’t appear and you won’t have the Bluetooth connection to your phone. I know this is something you are likely checking, but good to triple confirm; especially if your drive is bumpy and you’ve decided to make a pit stop.  Once you get the hang of putting it in place correctly it is an amazing little helper! Hope this helps .. good luck!!
    I am glad you... and hopefully many others had/ have positive experiences.  It flat out didn't work for me! 
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    Yup it seems to work well once configured - the important thing is to hook it up in the right order - first to TV, then to TT.  Otherwise the calibration could get all whacky.  I'm able to get a Bluetooth connection, it's just that it is intermittent. I have some experiments to try - one of which is taking out the thin metal plate fr.my phone case for my magnetic car mount. It's possible that could be interfering.. we will see..
  • Options
    ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    We are using the Curt Echo. If iPhone is plugged into the dash USB you can use Apple CarPlay to display Goggle Maps on the dash display and the brake controller display on the iPhone app. That allows manual application of the trailer brakes if trailer sway occurs. So far we have not  experienced a loss of the Bluetooth connection. I do use a heavy duty "twist-tie" as a secondary way of securing the brake controller unit in the 7-way plug.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado