Options

2019 T@B 400 Boondock Tires: Rainier Apex ST235/R75

124»

Comments

• Options
    BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 151
    bergger said:
    Blueespy said:
    As anyone considered the goodyear wrangler trail runner AT, 225/75R15 as a good replacement for the Rainier tires?

In that size they only have a max load rating of 1,874 lbs per tire.  I would not run those on a 400.  I like the goodyear endurance but do not really want to go down a size and kinda like the more aggressive look of the raniers.  However I may look at these tires for a replacement.  The Nokian Rotiiva AT LT235/75 R15 in load range E1, 2760 lbs load rating per tire.  Just a hair less than the GY Endurance but they look better in my opinion.  Looks like people have used them on their airstreams with good results.  

You are not concern with the Nokian being an AT tire and not a ST? 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
    Niceville, Florida
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The Falken Wildpeak AT3W 235/75R15 looks good also, and would match my Jeep Gladiator truck tires.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    bergger said:
    So does anyone know if a boondock stock Rainer tire will fit in the spare tire space on a 2021 400?  If so I may buy a single tire so the spare is matching.  
    I purchased a boondock rim and tire for the spare on my new Tab 400.  The fit is fine for me.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 151
    edited April 2021
    Took our 2019 t@b 400 BDL to Goodyear for the install of the Goodyear Endurance tires.  Purchased three so the spare is an Endurance so next on the list is to purchase a boondock stock wheel.  When I dropped the trailer, I chatted briefly with the store manager; someone I've dealt with before and just mentioned the stock tires had about 22k miles on them and were about 3-years old.  Gave me a call a couple of hours later and said it was ready to go.  When I picked it up, the manager mentioned the service tech had noticed the thread was splitting on the right/passenger tire.  I had inspected the thread a few days earlier and while everything looked ok, I just had this nagging feeling something wasn't right.  Knowing we were doing an 8-week trip soon, I decided to pull the plug and go with new tires.  So glad I did.  I was worried about the look but after seeing them on the t@b, we are both happy.  I did pull it about 40-miles after the install and did notice it appeared to track better behind the truck.  The spare appears to hang a bit lower but we're not concern yet. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
    Niceville, Florida
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    Blueespy said:
    bergger said:
    Blueespy said:
    As anyone considered the goodyear wrangler trail runner AT, 225/75R15 as a good replacement for the Rainier tires?

In that size they only have a max load rating of 1,874 lbs per tire.  I would not run those on a 400.  I like the goodyear endurance but do not really want to go down a size and kinda like the more aggressive look of the raniers.  However I may look at these tires for a replacement.  The Nokian Rotiiva AT LT235/75 R15 in load range E1, 2760 lbs load rating per tire.  Just a hair less than the GY Endurance but they look better in my opinion.  Looks like people have used them on their airstreams with good results.  

You are not concern with the Nokian being an AT tire and not a ST? 
    Not at all. Being a load range E tire with  an almost most 2800lbs rating i think it would be just fine. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Old thread, but wanted to update. I just purchased two new Rainier ST Apex tires to replace my now three year old OEM ones. They can be ordered on line from https://trailersetgo.com/ for $225 each which includes UPS shipping to you. I will have these installed after the holidays. The date code is for August 2021, so fairly fresh tires. Honestly my OEM tires still look good, but I am very conservative with time on trailer tires, especially those made in China. They are showing some slight weather checking, but very minimally so. You will likely do far more than $450 damage to your Tab if a tire lets go!
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    It also appears the OEM Boondock wheels can be purchased from the same place: https://trailersetgo.com/store/thoroughbred-15x5-5-lug-black-aluminum-trailer-wheel
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I will be in the market for new tires this summer before I head out on a long trip where replacement tires might be hard to find.

I have been running the Rainier Apex tires on.my 2021 Boondock (purchased June of 2020) and have been quite 0leased with them. I was trepeditious due to the reputation of "China bomb" tires. When I dug into the issue I found that the frequency of tire blowouts from these tires seems to have greatly diminished in recent years and I could find no such reputation associated with the Rainier Apex tires.

I am currently considering going with the original tires, pri arily to keep the look Nad match the full sized spare that I have, switching to the Endurance, or going with a LT tire. 

The tires on 2015 T@b 320 were Genreal Tire AT Grabbers and they were fantastic. 

I am currently leaning towards a set of Goodyear Endurance, primarily because of their reputation and the fact that ST tires are designed for how I use the trailer but not 100% there, yet.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RayJimRayJim Member Posts: 129
    I have had the Rainer Apex tires on my 400 for over two years, I have had no problem with them. I have used them on dirt roads that were not upkept, that in hindsight I probably should have not taken the 400 on. As far as their durability, my experience with the tires is good and they have held up well to various road conditions. One example I had a TPS attached to the stem that I had purchased to monitor the tire pressure, while driving from Arizona back to California I had forgotten to bring the TPS monitor with me. Whie driving with the 400 in tow I noticed that the trailer was leaning to the right, I assumed it was the road because I was in the number 3 lane, and figured it was slightly sloped for run off during the rains. When I arrived home, I walked to the look at the tire and noticed it looked almost completely flat, I checked the air pressure and it only had 15psi in it! I was surprised I did not lose the tire, it held up on the freeway while traveling 60mph with very little air pressure in it. I will more than likely buy these tires again. The reason the tire was losing air was because the TPS on the valve stem came loose and allowed air to slowly seep out. 
    2021 T@B Boondock 400. 2021 Toyota SR5 V6
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    My 2019 non-boondock 400 has load range "C" tires (205/75-15). If I consider load range "D" tires I have more replacement tire choices. I am concerned about a stiffer tire, the load range "D" gets inflated to 65PSI, the "C"s get 50 PSI. Do other 400 owners have load range "D" tires as shipped from the nuCamp factory?
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    TresK3TresK3 Member Posts: 65
    We have a 2019 400 BDL and it's time for tires.  Reading this thread, it looks like the most popular options are:
    • Goodyear Endurance ST 225/75 - slightly smaller, less "aggressive" look, may track better. $144 shipped (TireRack)
    • Rainier Apex ST 235/75 - OEM tire.  More aggressive look and tread.  May be better for non-pavement use (I hesitate to say "off road" because that conjures up some images).  $235 shipped (TrailerSetGo)
    We mostly tow on pavement, but also will go into camping areas that are dirt/gravel/sand etc.  We don't typically go far on these roads, but it doesn't take far to get stuck, either.  We're contemplating a trip from Ohio to Alaska and back this summer, so figure many thousands of miles on highways, but not sure what we'll find "up north."  Trailer tracking and ride is probably more important that non-pavement traction.  Looks are a non-issue; I care about overall performance, not style.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or other options?  

2019 Tab 400 Boondock Lite
    2017 Dodge Durango AWD with Tow Package IV
    A can of Skyline Chili in the pantry
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Alaska is going to be mostly graded, unpaved white roads except for the highway to Anchorage, it is paved from what I understand.  Going north of Anchorage, roads are a bit rougher, requiring more aggressive type tires.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    I drove to Alaska in 2015, and all the "main" roads were paved just fine.  They take a beating in the winter, of course.  If you choose to, there are plenty of more "scenic routes" that are gravel, etc. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    I went with the Apex tires again, 2nd set and no issues with either set. I replaced the first set at three years because of time and a long trip ahead.
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    I know opinions are like noses; everybody has one. 😀
    i switched to the GY Endurance several years and many thousands of miles ago. I can get the wheels off easily now and there seems to be less sway in the wind. I run 75 PSI
    Aggressive tread on a trailer does not seem to be that important. I guess it will help on a muddy side hill. I am not going to do that with my $$$ camper or my $$$ truck, thank you. 🤔
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI