Options

My purchase experience December 2018

On 12/18/18 I bought a new 2019 TAB 320 S Boondock Lite. I had difficulty finding info about MSRP or dealer cost on the internet, or this forum, so I'm posting here for the benefit of future buyers.  The dealers in NM where I live had extremely limited inventory of TABs so I went out of state to Tom's Camperland in Mesa AZ, supposedly the largest NuCamp dealer in the US. Initially over the phone I found out he had about a dozen 2019 320 S BL units to choose from and he emailed me pix.  Also said MSRP was around $26K depending on model and options, and sale price was probably around $21.9K - roughly $4K under MSRP.  This figure was better than any others I could find online at dealer websites. Wife and I drove 5-1/2 hours over to AZ for an in person inspection, chose the unit we liked, and then started negotiating.  The salesman said for our chosen unit, the price was $21,495.

Normally I can find the dealer invoice price for motor vehicles fairly easily and usually begin an offer at that number - I have purchased my last three cars for under or not more than 2% over invoice, but discovered when researching RVs that all bets are off when it comes to pricing. Searching online, where I could find MRSPs on 5th wheels, motorhomes, large travel trailers (none of which I had an interest in), it seemed their advertised sale prices where about 30% lower than list. So I calculated my first offer to be $18.5K, around 30% less than what I thought was the the possible MSRP for my TAB.  

After the salesman agreed to give me a discount equivalent to what I would pay in sales tax (8.05% for state, county, and local) on the $21,495 price, which was over $1700, we settled the deal at $19,784 for our new TAB!  Final OTD figures are: 

$19,784.66 + $249 (brake controller) + $25 (30-day tag) + $1572.47 (Sales tax) = $21,631.33 

I don't know how good a deal I got but am putting these numbers out there for someone else to perhaps have a better starting point when it comes to negotiating a deal.

Comments

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 87
    there aren’t many dealers who advertise prices because NuCamp allows them to customize the units. its difficult to compare prices without looking at both in person because of this. i called all the dealers within 500 miles and found one who gave a price that was a lot less than the others and it ended up being equipped with everything i wanted. 

princess craft is one of the larger dealers.

https://www.princesscraft.com/new-rvs-for-sale?s=true&brand=t%40b%2Ct%40b+320%2Ct%40b+400%2Ct%40g%2Ct%40g+boondock+edge
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited December 2018
    This is one of my favorite soapboxes, largely because it mostly seems to fall on deaf ears.  :-)
    The phenomenon you observe is real and rooted in consumer law. Auto manufacturers are required to publicize (and predominantly display on the vehicle) an MSRP. While the MSRP does not necessarily reflect dealer cost--or what the dealer will sell for--it is at least a consistent benchmark for the buyer.
    RV manufacturers have apparently managed to stay exempt from these requirements. While it's possible nuCamp (or other manufacturers) secretly share consistent "MSRPs" with their dealers, you as the consumer have no transparent way of verifying that information. As with autos, the dealer can quote you any price it wants. However a dealer's claim regarding "MSRP" should be viewed with healthy skepticism.
    Keep in mind nobody is doing anything wrong here. The manufacturers and dealers can advertise their prices however they wish, and you (as you did) can shop diligently, negotiate firmly, and vote with your wallet! 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    What I found on my recent 400 order, with options I wanted, ALL dealers were within about $2000 centered around $30K. The price in the window on the lots was around $38k, that is what they come off of. My guess is there is around a 30% markup from dealer cost, BUT no way to verify such.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    It's interesting that another recent discussion offered up a dealer order form including "MSRPs" for base costs and various options. The form does appear to come from nuCamp, though that doesn't necessarily mean the prices in the boxes do. Regardless, as the thread goes on to indicate, changes to those printed "MSRPs" may be made verbally and can occur at any time...  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    We worked w/ a local dealer to order a unit without a few of the standard items in late 2015.  To our dismay at the last minute before signing a $1500 "delivery fee" was added.  We left to search the internet...
    Tom's Camperland had the best prices then, and was 20% less than our local dealer (with all the standard items and delivery fee included)  Yes, our 2000 mile trip to pick it up wiped out 50% of savings but it was a nice trip. 
    I conclude an internet search for the best deal is the way to go, especially if you can take off  a week or two for travel to a distant dealer.   W/O an MSRP, and delivery fee shenanigans, a dealer holds most (all?) of the cards regarding pricing.
    Our final price was a bit less than yours Wildswolfe, but inflation over last 3 years, and improvements, would account for all of that, and more.  Enjoy.     
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    CalldonCalldon Member Posts: 15
    Belated question from a future buyer:

if you buy it from and out of town dealer, do you have to take it to them for service or can you take it to your local dealer who made not have given you the best price?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    You can take it to your local TaB dealer.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I think I remember at least one member who was told by a dealer they wouldn't work on his trailer since he didn't buy it from them. Did I imagine that?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Dealers all have their own rules.  Oftentimes, an incentive to purchase from them, is that you will float to the top of their work list.  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio