Options

Struts for the middle bed section of T@B 400

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
edited January 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
I saw someone else mentioned the new T@B 400’s has struts (gas or hydraulic....I don’t know which). I immediately sent Elsie a note that I needed them!  I store my off season clothes in E-bags under that section of bed, so struts would definitely help. 

I just installed then then today and I can lift the middle section with one hand now!  No more worrying about the temporary dowel moving and the bed falling on me while getting something from the storage. 

If you add the struts, be sure to take into the width of the 2x4 support on the bed. I had to move the front attachment over about 3/4”.

The right side strut. 

And Elsie sent me a PDF with photos (attached) of which screws to use where. Plus it gave me an approximate location for where the struts hardware needed to be placed. I placed the rear hardware approximately 14” from the rear wall behind the sewer tube.

Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    I did the same mod on our 2018 400. I added a handle and Luminoodle click light to make the space more useful.  
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @Verna, you need a signature for your new 400!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @DenisP, love the click light and handle! V, are you going for the open hole handle or adding one? Great mods.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    The handle was under $4.00 at Lowes. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Nice job Verna!
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM, it’s there....no one realizes it. I need to find a decal place in the next few weeks while I’m wandering around, just to make it official. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @Ratkity, I haven’t decided on the handle.

I have a canvas hanging bag on a wire frame that has my flip flops, dust pan/broom, and a few things that hang there, looped around the Froili pieces there.

With the bed section lifting so easily, I’m not sure it will work out with a handle. With all of this freezing weather I’m finding plenty of time to think about mods. I even “topped” off the glycol just below the max mark. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    Verna,
    Those extra holes aren't mistakes, they're "Strategic lightening, strengthening web-connects".  Think like an engineer....

WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    NikkijennNikkijenn Member Posts: 1
    Can you let me know what struts you used?  Looking to make the same modification myself.

Nikki
  • Options
    Nikkijenn said:
    Can you let me know what struts you used?  Looking to make the same modification myself.

Nikki
    You would need to contact a dealer to have them order from nüCamp. I used what nüCamp uses in the new T@B 400’s.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited February 2022
    Can anyone try to describe to me how you disconnect the strut? I need to look at batteries in compartment behind the storage compartment and I can't get in there with the strut attached. 

Dealer installed smart shunt back there and I need to see if it's hooked up right because he wasn't sure. 

Picked up my 22 400 today and it only has one strut and it seems fine for the task.  
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,006
    edited February 2022
    @TabbyShack I just disconnected our strut yesterday to remove the panel and get into our battery compartment.  It is a ball socket and the strut is held onto the ball by a metal spring clip.  If you look closely at the ends of the strut you'll see a little slit that you can insert a thin flat head screw driver into to lift up the spring clip.  I lifted it up with the screw driver and pulled on the strut with my other hand and it came off.  Just be careful not to send the spring clip flying!  One end of my strut was easier than the other.  It simply snaps back on when you need to replace it.  

Hopefully your shunt is installed correctly.  NuCamp installed ours wrong at the factory and I had to hook up the wires correctly.  Thanks to the people on this forum for helping me with that.  

My incorrect install.

My corrected Install.  Ignore the circles I drew on the wires. 

Close up of shunt.

2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Thanks so much for helping me with both tasks!!!!  I will get back at it tomorrow with these great pics!!! I know the clip you are referring too. I was afraid to pry on it without asking first! 
  • Options
    I can already see it's not hooked up right because I can no longer see the shunt with the battery shut off switch in off position. ARG!!!!! 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Sounds like he put the Shunt’s red power wires on the battery switch, instead of the battery distro box positive side.
    cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    I hope that's the only thing wrong. It's slowly coming back to me from when I installed the BMV-712 in my old 400. I paid the dealer to do it this time because I'm tired of doing stuff like this and look where that got me! Everything goes through that distro box and I'm doubting he knew to do that.  Sorry I see I've accidentally hijacked this thread! I will find an appropriate thread and post there as needed.

Thanks for the help!!!!