Options

Sewer hose

judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
I understand that every campsite is unique.  However, do you find that a 15' flex hose works in most situations?
We will be visiting 2 private campgrounds next week.
Thank you.
Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Judy, I was at a KOA in West Memphis, Arkansas last week. The sewer connection was all the way at the rear of the campsite. 15' would not have quite made it. This was the first time I have really paid any attention to sewer connections. When I saw a new T@B with the sewer connections at the tongue, I made a mental note that I'm sure this will not be the only campground that has the sewer connection with the big rigs in mind. Just the observations of a camper without sewer connections.....
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thank u
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I just hooked up a week ago and stretched out my 2o footer. Only time I used it. I store it in the battery/LP box. 

Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    I find using the "Ultimate Sewer Kit" BLUELINE by Sanitation works well for us, 2- 10' hose sections with press together fittings.  I like the option of a short or long hose, plus the fittings press together, which means the hoses don't have the large clunky twist lock ends, that take more room in storage.  
  • Options
    Mine is a Cameo From Walmart. Two 10 foot sections with all the fittings including caps for each end of both sections. Fittings work smoothly. It is called Revolution I think.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    Thank you for your comments.  We decided to be on the safe side and purchase another 10' section. DH laughed and said it appears we need to buy a long-wheeled base extended cab pick up with camper top.  

• Options
    remphotoremphoto Member Posts: 11
    On the Airstream forum people rave about the SewerSolution product which uses a water hose fitting to macerate the waste and will actually pump it uphill through a 3/4" hose.  Anyone use this on a T@B?  Not sure if the small tanks and run would cause backup in the shower/toilet.  Here is link to the product:  http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-SS01-Boxed-SewerSolution-System/dp/B00CCYWJQK/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1428098876&sr=8-21&keywords=rv+sewer

• Options
    judymac I think you will be glad to have the extra length even if at a dump station.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited April 2015
    judymac I think you will be glad to have the extra length even if at a dump station.

This guy has reviewed and one testing in several options. Here is te test for the Sewer Solution

https://youtu.be/zYJCLzGaaB8

http://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/inside-the-rv-black-tank-testing-the-sewer-solution/

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Never knew veggies and peanut butter could be so gross!  

• Options

I think the key is to get a high ratio of water in it and let it soak. If possible, fill the black tank with water and drive with it for a while.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    You can also add tabs that break everything down.
  • Options
    remphotoremphoto Member Posts: 11
    With our old, larger trailer we always kept a few gallons of water in the tanks while traveling and it kept the tank pretty well rinsed out.  I suspect we will need to be even more vigilant with the T@B as the toilet is in close proximity to the living area of the trailer.  I have on order a clear backflushing sewer fitting and plan to use it regularly if we don't go the SewerSolution route.  Speaking of which -- wonder how effective a SS would be with lower water pressure.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Simple tip for black tank cleaning, toss one or two bags of ice cubes in tank, when traveling.  Generally does a fair job.
  • Options
    jdargis said:
    Simple tip for black tank cleaning, toss one or two bags of ice cubes in tank, when traveling.  Generally does a fair job.

The same guy takes on the ice cube advice, too

https://youtu.be/iH6acEmqvcw

I think unless you have an in tank rinse system, you need to know that there is more left in your tank than you realize. Probably wouldn't hurt to try the tabs, too.

• Options
    After dumping the black water and while still hooked up, I dump a couple gallons of fresh water down the toilet and open the valve again. Then add a tab and a little more water to slosh around while on the road.
  • Options
    Jenn, do you ever use your shower nozzle and spray into the black tank?  I know you have that back flush adapter on your hose.

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Most dump stations have a fresh water hose for clean up.  I just walk into the Tab with the hose and let it run into the toilet for a while if there is no one lined up behind me to use the station.

I will at times close the gate waste valve and let the tank fill a bit before I open it again.  
  • Options
    Thanks, Conrad.

• Options
    Rad - The dump stations I've been at so far have had real short hoses - No way to get it in the T@B except maybe through the front window.
  • Options
    judymac said:
    Jenn, do you ever use your shower nozzle and spray into the black tank?  I know you have that back flush adapter on your hose.

No, it would take too long. I have always used my flush king. After watching the videos, I will probably make some adjustments. The Ohio Turnpike (I80) has free dump stations and I will make better use of them this year when traveling to points west. I will probably fill the blank tank with water when I know I will be cruising by them just to give the tank a chance to get extra clean. I also have an unused canister of Happy Campers, which gets rave reviews they I will probably start to use when doing bigger trips where I ill be dumping more frequently. It is biodegradable and does not use formaldehyde.

I have read, often, about the "pyramid" that can develop in your black tank when you don't get enough liquid to help dissolve the solid so I tried to make sure that I used a fair amount of water let year.

I have yet to come across a dump station without a hose.

• Options
    I was thinking that the shower might give it a little rinse for a few minutes.  I think I saw that in a video.  Now keeping our fingers crossed with the next steps next week.

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I have a sewer/dump question. After seeing a few T@Bs and then checking out Wanderoo's when she was in Tucson, I failed to really look at the black and grey tanks and connections. I know most rvs work where you pull the black tank lever first and after that's done you pull the grey tank lever and that helps rinse the other contents (so there's one hose connected). I looked elsewhere on the forum and found JennK's posting: "we don't have a system that allows the grey water to rinse the black tank."  Does that mean one has to have 2 sewer hoses for each tank and is the only way to clean out the black is to go back inside and pour water down the toilet? If so, it's a completely different set-up than I'm used to! Thanks.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options

Michelle, you can use a "wand" or a device lie a Flush King to rinse the tank or pour water into the tank. I use a Flush King. You can also use the flush king to rinse the hose. There are 2 different valves: one for the black tank and one for the grey water tank.

• Options
    Thanks Jenn - I did purchase the Flush King so at least I now know I'll have to rinse out the black tank using that. So do you have a separate hose to dump your grey tank or do you switch one over?

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    You just switch the hose from the black to the gray.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2015
    Same hose, so that draining the gray helps to rinse the hose out.

Jenn, does the Flush King include caps for each end, for storage? And how do you keep track of when to shut off the rinse water? Look into the toilet, and run out to shut off the hose?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Oh good - thanks all. Way different (but heck, last time I towed and lived in a trailer, was in the 70's - lots has changed since then)!

• Options
    ChanW said:
    Same hose, so that draining the gray helps to rinse the hose out.

Jenn, does the Flush King include caps for each end, for storage? And how do you keep track of when to shut off the rinse water? Look into the toilet, and run out to shut off the hose?

The Flush King does not include caps. I guesstimate how much water. I have wondered how I would know if I had put touch water in!

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Oh dear - hate to think! :-O
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya