Options

Has this ever happened to you?

brooksdmbrooksdm Member Posts: 11
We bought a used 2016 Clamshell back in April 2018 and have taken it to several places so far (3 state parks, several different rivers, & the beach).  This past weekend was our first time at an RV Campground that has strict rules on RV's.  When I booked my reservation, several weeks back, I told the lady exactly what I had and paid for the weekend.  This weekend, we arrived about 45 minutes before they closed.  When I went to check in, the gentleman looked out of the window at the trailer and said, oh we don't accept campers!  I was dumbfounded and just kinda looked at him and said I don't understand.  I already paid for a site and told ya'll exactly what I had.  He then said we only accept trailers that have black and grey tanks, you know...for the toilet and sink, etc.  I said yes, I know exactly what you are talking about because mine has all of the above.  His eyes got big and looked over at the trailer again and said NO WAY!  LOL!  I said yes way!  Would you like a tour of our trailer?  We give tours ALL the time.  Even at gas stations.  He and his wife started laughing and said sure but after we close in about 45 minutes, we'll walk down to your campsite and take a tour.  He then proceeded to check us in.  LOL!  Needless to say, they came down and took a tour and were in complete awe of the trailer!  I thought that was pretty cool considering they had a fifth wheel and almost every trailer in the campground were fifth wheels!  Just out of curiosity, how often does something like this happen to Tab owners?   
2016 T@B Max CS-S, 2017 Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I've looked at many campgrounds that state you have to be "self-contained". Meaning with tanks, etc. I still sometimes book those types of campgrounds for just overnights, as I don't hook up to anything except electric for an overnight. (I have a 2007 with no tanks at all). I also modified a standard sewer hose to drain my sink, so it kindof looks like I have a grey tank.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    That is a funny story! The T@bs have become so popular out in the Southwest that I rarely get comments, any more, form the campgrounds but still get tour requests!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    On the other hand, I know of a campground that allows tents, pop-ups up to 25', and truck campers, but no RVs or hard-top trailers (regardless of size).
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @brooksdm, we were turned away from a campground because of their minimum standards. No one smaller than 25', although they allowed tent campers. Never figured that one out.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    shirlstewshirlstew Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2019
    We camped at Bolsa Chica St. Beach Ca. in October and we were so small tucked in between the rest of the HUGE Motor Homes.  One smart Alec asked if we knew that we lost the rest of our camper somewhere on the way there??? We stayed for a week and had fun by ourselves and our little Maltepoo.  We love our little T@B and are looking forward to Casa Grande Sunday night. :-)  
    T@Batha
    2008 T@B Dutchman
    Westminster, CA
  • Options
    ObiruObiru Member Posts: 25
    Those big RV’s are like being at home. The T@b’s feel like you’re camping. Much less maintenance and headaches. 
  • Options
    NealaustinNealaustin Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2019
    Obiru said:
    Those big RV’s are like being at home. The T@b’s feel like you’re camping. Much less maintenance and headaches. 
    A: I want to be away from home
    B: I want the camping feel
    C: I want less maintenance 
    D : I want less headaches 
    I wonder why the T@B 320 appeals to me?

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Welcome @Nealaustin!  We know why the TaB appeals to you, so what are you waiting for?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    NealaustinNealaustin Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2019
    Waiting for my Coachmen 14FB to have another major catastrophe so I can spring a 320S boondock on my wife. The left tire blew in 2017 and took out part of the wheelwell and floor. The right paneling bulges out at speeds over 55mph. The bathtub collapsed in 2016  due to poor workmanship. The problem is that my on the road repairs have been too good to warrant getting a new trailer in my frugal wife's eyes. One thing in my favor is that she hates the noise from the rooftop AC and especially the forced air furnace.   
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Sorry @Nealaustin, but it doesn't sound like you will have too long to wait :|
    Maybe cut your losses early.  The older TaBs of the forum members have held up well and they maintain their value.  Can you trade it in at your local, friendly TaB dealer?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Nealaustin, welcome to the forum. Just as an fyi, our 2017 t@b (build date April 2016), has over 25,000 miles on it. We've only had the bearings repacked as routine maintenance and early last year (at approx 22,000 miles) replaced the tires, although the tire shop said they looked new and didn't need replacing. Trouble free, jump in and go convenience. Love our t@b. Highly recommend one if you've been smitten.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Norgaard_ChCaNorgaard_ChCa Member Posts: 12
    Last summer camped with inlaws that travel with fifth wheel and our 2017 320S.  We booked and paid for sites well in advance of the stay - all info about our teardrop trailer was provided online.  We pulled in to the reserved campgrounds well before they filled up.  Two of the rv campgrounds pushed us into "barely" a trailer site for the same price as the sites we should have been given nearby our inlaws.  We were not given any discount; neither campground site had a picnic table unlike those surrounding us; the Ellensburg, WA site had not been used for quite some time because we discovered a hornets nest in the electrical outlet housing - we tried to argue but to no avail.  We will avoid camping at the two campgrounds who were prejudice and pushed us into tight quarters for the same price as a nice site: Yakima River RV Park (Ellensburg, WA) and Wild Rose RV Park (Spokane, WA).  State park camping allows you to select your specific sites.  If we camp at private campgrounds we will be reporting length of trailer as 30ft (car plus trailer).  Don't expect a problem with most private campgrounds because we had good experiences but for those few who are greedy and don't care about repeat business we are hoping the 30ft info gets us a decent site with picnic bench.
    2017 T@B 320S silver with blue trim, towed by 6 cylinder RAV
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I've had that experience, too, being given the worst site in an expensive and largely empty RV park wedged between the ocean and the highway. The site was on a slope and neither wide enough to put up the awning or large enough to have flat spot for the picnic table. That one event left me down on RV parks, particularly those that don't guarantee a particular site.
    I'll go with a public campground any time. The services may be limited but at least everyone gets a fair shake.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    That's terrible----Can't you refute the charges if you paid via CC?  Seems like it would be fraudulent to charge you the regular price for a campsite that is so small it doesn't even have a picnic table or where it's not even wide enough to put up an awning?  For sure would be giving them a negative review on YELP or wherever!  I'll remember to state that 30 Foot length, because it's true, between the trailer & TV!
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Nah, that was few years back and it was only for two nights. We were also with friends (who interestingly enough were essentially given two adjacent sites) so we were hanging out at their place most of time anyway.
    Under different circumstances I might have been more irritated.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Flyboyonyour6Flyboyonyour6 Member Posts: 1
    We have owned a variety of RV’s from Teardrop, Travel Trailer, Hybrid to Folding. I came across a Jellystone Park in Michigan that made the announcement that this year they would not be allowing Folding/Aliners and Pop Up campers in their campground. They very simply stated that they weren’t up the standard of the tasteful RV’s that they intended to cater to from that point on. Called them offensive and an eyesore. Discrimination in any form is never warranted. People camp for the simple joy of nature and fellowship in my opinion.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I just noticed today that there is a RV resort on the Oregon Coast that is for Class A coaches only bigger than 25 foot. I guess a private park can set whatever rules they want?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite