Jacking points on Tab 320 And 400

2»

Comments

• TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Thanks @Awca12a,  this is printing out as I am typing this....  No... it is done already...  I am a very slow typer... grin...  
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461

I had emailed nuCamp end of January and did not get to post their reply regarding my question about how to jack the TaBs.  This from nuCamp:

"Using the stabilizer jacks to raise the unit is only acceptable on the Tag units.

For the larger Tab 320 and 400’s, you will want to use a bottle/scissor jack to lift the camper – mounting location right behind the tire where the Axle and Frame meet. You will want to make sure to lower the stabilizer jacks on the opposite side and have the trailer connected to your tow vehicle for stability."

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Is this the same jacking point that NuCamp was trying to show in their photo? ..

It is a very heavy gauge piece of steel, bolted directly to the side of the main frame and projecting down about 1-2 inches below it, where it's bent into an L-shape.  It's about a foot long and located behind the tire.
    It worked for me to get a scissor jack on it & then a jackstand; just a little awkward to have to reach around behind the tire to use it.  Hard to imagine trying to use any jack with a flat top that could slip off.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    Yes, that is it.  My DH put reflective tape on it to make it more visible.
  • melpetermelpeter Member Posts: 112
    Yes, that is it.  My DH put reflective tape on it to make it more visible.
    Bright idea!
    2017 Tab 320 S
    2014 Mazda CX 5
    Traveling very light to be kind to my transmission.
  • KARKAR Member Posts: 84
    Great thread! Am wondering how often people change their tires intentionally (not due to a blow out on the road). We've read every 3 years regardless of miles. Is that correct? Thanks, K
    2015 Tab S with Alde 
    Not sure about mileage, but every 5 years at a minimum is what I have read.  
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Depends a bit on risk tolerance, condition of tire, etc. Anytime between 3-7 years and I wouldn't make fun of anyone. At 10 years tire shops won't even fix a flat on a tire with good tread. I am probably going to go with a three year rotation from date of tire manufacturing. Squeezing seven years instead of three will seem foolish after you have a single failure, the cost of the damage will probably exceed the cost of a couple sets of tires.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    Nucamp needs to weld a 2" x 2" square of steel on the frame where the jack is intended to lift.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Well, nüCamp does not weld or make up the frames, they buy them already ready built.  So the source manufacturer for the frames woukd need to weld the plate, which nüCamp might be able to spec.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    This is a bare axle, 3900# for a 400.  If you look at the bracket behind the hub you will see the bracket that mates with the frame.  You will want to place your jack just under the rear or front of the bottom of this bracket. Not a lot of room to do this but this is the strong points to jack.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • KARKAR Member Posts: 84
    Great thread! Am wondering how often people change their tires intentionally (not due to a blow out on the road). We've read every 3 years regardless of miles. Is that correct? Thanks, K
    2015 Tab S with Alde 
  • subkronsubkron Member Posts: 143
    I think 7yrs is the most general rule of thumb. I have another trailer (29' Everlite) that had 8 years on the original tires and they looked almost brand new (very low mileage).  No dry rot or anything, mostly covered, but I sprung to get new ones.  Really not worth taking a chance. The last 4 digits of the tire's DOT marking denote 2 digits week and 2 digits year of manufacture.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey