Options

Mount small solar panel on metal tub lid?

Starting to think about solar. We try to camp in the shade wherever possible so I bought a 100w solar suitcase for use while camping that we can put in the sun. It would be nice to be able to pick up a few watts while we’re driving but I don’t want to invest in solar panels mounted on the T@B roof at this point. We have the metal propane tub and it occurred to me that it “might” be possible to mount a small solar panel on the lid of the propane tub. This could also help keep the battery topped up between camping trips instead of plugging into the mains.

Has anyone done this, or considered it? What issues would you anticipate?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    It would be worthwhile as a "maintainer" while between trips.

I can picture a small flexible panel mounted there.   I'm not sure if there is a panel that would fit the top of the tub that would have enough power to recharge while driving.   Sounds like a good idea if you can find a panel that would work that you could attach properly.

@d@Dalehelman had this idea a couple of years ago.  A panel somehow attached to the tow vehicle roof would simply need a cable running to the solar controller in the tub and then to the battery.

Not a bad idea, but we carry our kayaks on the SUV’s roof rack.

My T@B is in winter storage for another month and I’ll do some measuring then, but I’m thinking that a Renogy 30 watt panel might fit, if there’s room to open the lid.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Isn’t there a lot of turbulence back at the tub as you tow?  I envision a small flexible panel glued to the top of the tub.  Give Renogy a call and see if they have any thoughts.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Photomom said:
    Starting to think about solar. We try to camp in the shade wherever possible so I bought a 100w solar suitcase for use while camping that we can put in the sun. It would be nice to be able to pick up a few watts while we’re driving but I don’t want to invest in solar panels mounted on the T@B roof at this point. We have the metal propane tub and it occurred to me that it “might” be possible to mount a small solar panel on the lid of the propane tub. This could also help keep the battery topped up between camping trips instead of plugging into the mains.

Has anyone done this, or considered it? What issues would you anticipate?
    I did not mount but used a small goal zero solar trickle charger. I had been considering pulling it out to mount on my tub, as well, but I do not think it will  be necessary since I am going to have the factory installed solar done.

Do you have the plastic or boondock tub? If you have the boondock, I think there might be room for a rigid panel, and if there is I would see if you could fashion some sort of tilt-able  mounting brackets, if they fit. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Sounds like a good idea but you wouldn’t have enough space to really make it worthwhile.  Some of the larger travel trailers (like the one we have parked here in Arizona) have a protective aluminum cover over the front window.  Maybe one day someone will incorporate solar panels into a window shade cover that works during travel and while in use.  

You might consider some type of mounting system that would allow a narrower 100 w panel that would lay flat above the tub and collect solar during travel and hopefully minimize wind resistance too.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited February 2019
    @Michigan_Mike, I think I would be worried about getting hit by a rock if the panel was mounted on the front.  Maybe mount it on the backside.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    @Michigan_Mike, I think I would be worried about getting hit by a rock if the panel was mounted on the front.  Maybe mount it on the backside.
    If it was mounted horizontal it wouldn’t be as big a concern, but agree that in a vertical position it would be an issue.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    It would be worthwhile as a "maintainer" while between trips.

I can picture a small flexible panel mounted there.   I'm not sure if there is a panel that would fit the top of the tub that would have enough power to recharge while driving.   Sounds like a good idea if you can find a panel that would work that you could attach properly.

@d@Dalehelman had this idea a couple of years ago.  A panel somehow attached to the tow vehicle roof would simply need a cable running to the solar controller in the tub and then to the battery.

I have tried the Dale Helman idea and I need to fine tune it, a bit. But, I really like idea if using a flexible panel, there and 30 watts would about the right size. To just cover the window. However, you could simply fit the track for a 100w flexible panel. If you did that, I suggest some type of tether so if it somehow got out you would not lose the panel. 

EDITED FOR PICTURE RESIZING - Sharon

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited February 2019
    i was thinking of bolting it to the tub lid in a horizontal position. The spare tire is mounted to the jack post and might help with turbulence. i dont have my trailer to measure but i think a renogy 30 watt rigid manel might fit. that might not be big enough to do much though. i have a 100ah group 27 battery. 
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited February 2019
    @Photomom , is there a way to have your 7-pin plug modified to charge your camper battery with your tow vehicle while driving?  Fortunately for me, my 2007 Toyota Tundra charges the camper battery while driving.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Bayliss said:
    @Photomom , is there a way to have your 7-pin plug modified to charge your camper battery with your tow vehicle while driving?  Fortunately for me, my 2007 Toyota Tundra charges the camper battery while driving.
    Our Highlander is wired that way. Does not quite keep up with the fridge, and if we stop for a couple hours we disconnect the 7way.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    My Ford 7-pin also does not keep the Norcold and my ARB 50 quart frig cold.  Went with a direct 10 gauge wire from the vehicle battery to the batteries in the T@B while the ARB is plugged into a 12V outlet in the Ford.  Seems to work fine.  T@B batteries are at 100% when I arrive at the campsite.  However, dealing with a second pigtail takes a little extra effort.  I also took White Castle's suggestion and now simply plug the Norcold into a 2000W inverter located under the frig and switch the frig to Shore Power.  Without using the 10 gauge pigtail, the T@B batteries were at 86% after five hours on the road.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Photomom said:
    i was thinking of bolting it to the tub lid in a horizontal position. The spare tire is mounted to the jack post and might help with turbulence. i dont have my trailer to measure but i think a renogy 30 watt rigid manel might fit. that might not be big enough to do much though. i have a 100ah group 27 battery. 

I have a 40W porbable panel.  It's definitely helpful if you can get it positioned well in bright summer sun for a few hours, but it really does not do a whole lot in non-ideal conditions, such as a fall day with light cloud cover. 

With a fixed, low power setup on the tub lid, it seems like shading, and poor angle would really limit the output and usefulness of a small panel. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    rkj__ said:
    With a fixed, low power setup on the tub lid, it seems like shading, and poor angle would really limit the output and usefulness of a small panel. 
    I also worry about the shading. Unless the sun is directly overhead (From about 11:00 -1:00) You are likely to have shade from the T@b or the TV.

• Options
    Well, it was an idea, but not every idea is a good one!
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    Well, it was an idea, but not every idea is a good one!
    I have had more than a few unsuccessful experiments in my day...

• Options
    OTOH, I think I have figured out what I need to connect my Goal Zero suitcase to the T@B. It seems that every solar panel manufacturer uses a different type of connector, and GZ is the worst with their proprietary 8mm connectors.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    Photomom said:
    . . . We have the metal propane tub and it occurred to me that it “might” be possible to mount a small solar panel on the lid of the propane tub. This could also help keep the battery topped up between camping trips instead of plugging into the mains.

Has anyone done this, or considered it?
    While my T@B has the plastic tub - - - I did add a small solar panel to keep the battery topped off while the trailer is at the storage lot.

Works great . . . more information is part of my early modifications thread, later in the thread is a parts list and mounting detail.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    @Photomom re the Goal Zero solar to T@B connection, I called GZ a couple months ago and they said I would need the Guardian 12v Plus charge controller, which I think you can find on their website. (I only have the Yeti 1000 at this point, no solar).
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    dsfdogs said:
    @Photomom re the Goal Zero solar to T@B connection, I called GZ a couple months ago and they said I would need the Guardian 12v Plus charge controller, which I think you can find on their website. (I only have the Yeti 1000 at this point, no solar).
    GZ recommended their Guardian controller to me too. That’s a really basic solar controller. I think most people here use the Victron with Bluetooth that lets you see what is really going on. I found a GZ 8mm to SAE cable on Amazon. Made by Goal Zero but discontinued. I intend to use that to connect the solar panel to the Zamp port on my T@B and connect the wires from the Zamp port to the Victron.

Goal Zero makes really good stuff and their customer support is excellent but their policy of locking users in to their products by using proprietary connectors is pretty annoying.
  • Options
    ObiruObiru Member Posts: 25
    I use a solar trickle charge setup I use between trips and place it on the tub. Works great at keeping the battery topped off.