Options

Plastic Brackets on FanTastic Fan Vent Lid - Ultra Breeze U1400 Cover Installation (Title Edited)

BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
edited November 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
Does anyone know the purpose of the four plastic "brackets" (for lack of a better description) that are located on the outer edges of the standard Dometic Fan-Tastic Fan exterior vent cover base (two brackets on each side)?  Are those intended for mounting an after-market cover over the stock lid?  I ordered and plan to install the Camco "Aero-flo" vent cover on my 2019 T@B 320S, so I am curious whether those brackets will work in place of the metal mounting brackets that come with the Aero-flo vent.  (Maybe they are designed exclusively for mounting the Fan-Tastic Fan's "Ultra Breeze" cover????)  Thanks!  (Greg)

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
(Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Pure Guess - - - Universal Plastic Bracket for vent cover mounting.  Saves you having to install some of the metal hardware that is included with a vent cover.

That said.  I'd ask the dealer/seller if they did any modifications.  If not then suggest you contact nüCamp Technical Support.  Did nüCamp install? If yes, full device/product description please.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Thanks @MuttonChops .  If nobody chimes in with the answer, I will contact nüCamp.  I am assuming that the vent base was installed by them and doubt  the dealer (Tom's Camperland in Mesa, AZ) added them.  My camper had recently been received by them (it was on the back lot) and had not yet been prepped for display in their showroom.  My camper is currently in storage, so I can't quickly take a closer look at the brackets, but after zooming in on the photo they appear to be molded in to the plastic base.  Also, a hole at the top of each bracket approximates the size of the bolts provided by after market vent manufacturers for attaching their covers.  Therefore, that most likely is the intent of those brackets.  Sure will be nice (lucky me) if someone had the foresight to do that.  The Dometic web site does depict the brackets on their Fan-Tastic product photo (see below), so I suppose it is possible that nüCamp added them.

(Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    targtarg Member Posts: 81
    I believe those are built-in mounting points for a shroud. 
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Did some more searching and see that the MaxxAir MaxxFan includes similar mounting brackets on the roof base for their standard vent.  The eTrailer web site includes a product video, but they make no mention of the plastic brackets.

• Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    That’s a Vent Line ez lift vent, not a fantastic fan. Tabs on the side are standard. Looks like Nucamp made another “improvement”.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Hmmmm, @RollingBnB ............. after taking a look at the Ventline E-Z Lift Ventadome, it does have similiar brackets, but having used the fan in my 320S, I can assure you that it is definitely a Fan-Tastic fan.  Also, if you look closely at the photo I provided, you will see that the vent lid has the manufacturer name "Dometic" on it.  The Ventline covers are labeled "Ventline."  Makes me wonder if Dometic is now using a similar design, OR nüCamp has improved the install by using one company's external base/frame to mount the Fan-Tastic Fan.

The plot thickens...........  BUT, keep the input coming folks.  I love a good mystery.  Regardless, I'm sure I will be able to get answers from nüCamp.  I am curious if there are other 2019 T@B owners who have the the same plastic brackets on their vent.  [I must say, it sometimes seems like nüCamp likes to do stuff like this with little or no fanfare so that T@B owners can "discover" these little improvements on their own.]

I found this video online (scroll to bottom of web page to see it):

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and-Fans/Ventline/V3092-601-00.html

It demonstrates how to attach a MaxxAir vent cover to a Ventline base.  To attach the new cover, the metal brackets (provided with the after-market cover) are attached to the plastic brackets on the base of the exterior vent mount.  Without the plastic brackets, you would have to secure the after-market metal brackets by drilling holes through the metal frame of the trailer vent housing (i.e., the metal frame that the crank-up vent lid rests on when closed.)  Thus, the plastic brackets provide a "no drilling required" install.  Nice!  This is a real bonus for attaching a vent cover on a T@B, because the roof is not designed to support body weight (thus, you are limited to standing on a ladder to complete the install.) 

• Options
    rajamarrajamar Member Posts: 112
    They are probably indeed vent cover mounting brackets. However, don't know how universal they are. I installed a Camco Aeroflo last fall. 
    You would have to attach the metal brackets to the plastic ones - not sure there would be clearance for the vertical bolt that the base attaches to. Also, the cover base would have to straddle the plastic brackets - double-check dimensions  when the Aeroflo comes in. Your 2019 fan is different than  the one on our 2016 320S. See pics:

2016 T@B S - TV 2004 Toyota Sienna
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Thanks @rajamar .  I too have been wondering about that.  At first, I questioned in my mind why I would even need the metal brackets.  However, I recalled the carriage bolts that are needed to attach the Aero-flo.  There are some little vertical "nubs" that stick up vertically on the plastic brackets about where the carriage bolts are supposed to be located, but those are not going to replace the bolts.  Very odd.  It will be interesting to see what nüCamp has to say. 

• Options
    edited February 2019
    As long as the dimensions are favorable the Camco Aeroflo bracket may work out just fine. The Camco bracket is slotted so the little nub and carriage bolt might  coexist side-by-side. Probably won't know until you try a "dry fit". Be forewarned though - working from the top of a ladder stretched out over the top of the T@B trying to 1) figure out if the carriage bolts are going to line up with the horizontal slots in the Aeroflo base to check layout and 2) actually getting the bolts in the slots is pretty tricky because the base slots in the back are below that ~4" or so of plastic. I had to use a mirror and work by feel because there is no way (short of crawling onto the roof and/or unsafely standing on the top step of a 6' ladder) to get your head in a position to see the back slots.

When I opened the Aeroflo and looked at the instructions I thought, "Only 8 fasteners - gonna knock this out in 20 or 30 minutes." That's what the job would take if you were working from a platform over the T@B. Every step requires ladder moves from side to side. It wound up taking about me about 3 hours. 

One other thing to keep in mind:
    If the base straddles the plastic and metal brackets and allows the carriage bolts to line up with the base slots you are not necessarily home free. The slots in the Aeroflo base only allow a small amount of front-back adjustment. When opened, the geometry of the fan cover moves the leading edge of the square cover forward - as is shown in your second photo. If the Aeroflo base is mounted too close front edge of the fan cover can hit the base when opened. Without realizing this my instinct was to put the base toward the rear as much as possible to allow the cover to open as much as possible. Unfortunately, the layout of the slots did not allow me to simply slide it forward enough for the necessary cover leading edge clearance. I had to reposition two of the brackets. Having said this, I see your cover has an angled edge instead of being square - so it may not be an issue for you. (But it may be for others which is why I threw it in here.)

Hope it goes smoothly for you.

• Options
    Thanks @rajamar .  Fortunately, I have a 10' ladder (wish it was 12' after needing that height for some work around my house recently.)  I have installed similar vents on larger trailers in the past.  So, as you have noted, it won't be as quick and easy on a T@B.  I have not yet heard back from nüCamp, but I hope they have good news for me. 

• Options
    edited February 2019
    @Bayliss
    One other point: the last step in the install is attaching the Aeroflo top to the base. It has slotted hinges in front, rotates rearward onto the base and is held down by two short machine screws in back. The back screws go up through the base into caged nuts that are held in place by the plastic of the top. One went in and tightened up just fine. However, the other one would not get started (I did back off the first one as much as possible for wiggle room). Got it started, but I couldn't get nut tightened - the screw went through the nut, but would not tighten all the way - stripped the nut out of the hex plastic cage. Finally, used a nylon lock nut and a very thin socket to get it tightened. It was not fun working from the ladder, reaching toward the middle of the T@B and fighting stubborn connectors. 

Moral - dry fit and tighten those final two screws while you're on the ground before you even start the job - then remove them and begin.  ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Thanks @rajamar - - I read about that issue previously.  Maybe it was in an earlier post by you?  I recall somebody (again, maybe you) also suggesting the use of tape to see your drilling locations, as depicted in your photo above.    Would it potentially be possible to attach the screws to the hinges before mounting the base and leave it open before attaching to the roof base?  It might be a little cumbersome with the top attached, but could it be laid open against the roof while the Aero-flo base is being attached, just like you would do when you open it up for cleaning? 

• Options
    Here's the response from Creed Hostetler at nüCamp:

"The new White Vent covers do come with brackets for the purpose of an exterior Vent Cover – such as the Max Air Vent Cover.  On other vents without these brackets you have to attach brackets to the factory vent cover in order to attach the Max Air, so this makes it much easier/quicker."

Presumably, it will work with the Aero-flo as well.  The installation is similar to the MaxxAir, so it should.   I wish Creed would have included info about who manufactures the base with the plastic brackets that nüCamp installed, but I won't bug him about that.

Thank you to those who responded to my inquiry.  I will update this thread after I install the Aero-flo on my camper.

Greg

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Bayliss said:
    Thanks @rajamar ... Would it potentially be possible to attach the screws to the hinges before mounting the base and leave it open before attaching to the roof base?  It might be a little cumbersome with the top attached, but could it be laid open against the roof while the Aero-flo base is being attached, just like you would do when you open it up for cleaning? 
    The screws don't attach to the front-side hinge. They secure the top and bottom together on the backside. The "hinge" is just those plastic tabs that loop around plastic bars on the lid. As you suggest you could install it with the two pieces connected and open, but I would advise against it. Fine tuning the positioning of the base and actually getting the nuts on the carriage bolts requires moving, lifting and small shifts. An attached lid would just get in the way. Also, the curve of the roof does not allow the base to sit flat, but lifts up the front.

Here I'm speaking from experience. I always try to plan and stay one or two steps ahead of myself when doing these "simple" projects. So once I had the brackets attached to the fan flange, but before putting the nuts on the carriage bolts I tried to put the lid on by sliding the lid hinge bars under the base hinge loop tabs. Huh ... the lid has a little curve that makes it hard to slide the bars under the base loop tabs - no big deal - I'll just leave it attached. Bad idea - works against you when trying to hold the base down and get the carriage bolts into slots that you can't see. I decided to proceed without the lid attached - but knew that after the base was attached I would need help finessing the curved lid hinge bars under the base tab loops. 

However, that lid-attached "dry fit" exercise revealed three important things:

1) The leading edge of the fan cover bumps into the front of the Aeroflo top when it is opened, like I mentioned above.

2) The hinge bars on the lid could not slide under the base hinge tabs because they bumped into the flat flange of the fan housing (red arrow below). 

And to top it all off:
    3) I could not just slide the base forward slightly because I had attached the brackets so the carriage bolts were tight against the cross-piece separating the two short slots (see blue arrow in first photo above).

All the above led to the repositioning of two of the mounting brackets.

All of this will make more sense when you have the Aeroflo in hand.

So - dry fit and tighten those final two screws while you're on the ground before you even start the job - then remove them and begin.

And (now that I'm remembering all these frustrations with the install) I recommend when making sure the two screws go in OK you also make sure the plastic hinge tabs fit correctly. I remember, after struggling a little to get the curved hinge bars on the lid under the base hinge tabs, that I wished I had done a dry fit on the ground. If I had, I would have taken +- 1/8" off a couple of the tabs with an Exacto knife or Dremel to make it fit more easily.

Hope this info helps minimize the time it takes for you or others to do this "simple" job. :)

• Options
    Thanks again, @rajamar .  I really (and no doubt others reading this thread) appreciate you taking the time to provide a detailed summary of your experience with the Aero-flo installation.  I am especially grateful for the annotated photos, which will be very helpful.  I will definitely do the dry fit with the screws in the hinges.  Hopefully, those plastic brackets on the exterior base of my vent will make the job easier as Creed from nüCamp says they are designed for.  We shall see.......  Greg

• Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    edited February 2019
    Bayliss said:
    Thanks again, @rajamar .  I really (and no doubt others reading this thread) appreciate you taking the time to provide a detailed summary of your experience with the Aero-flo installation.  I am especially grateful for the annotated photos, which will be very helpful.  I will definitely do the dry fit with the screws in the hinges.  Hopefully, those plastic brackets on the exterior base of my vent will make the job easier as Creed from nüCamp says they are designed for.  We shall see.......  Greg
    Looking at the photo of the plastic bracket, I'm thinking that the metal L-brackets from the vent cover kit might go INSIDE of the plastic brackets, not outside.  If so, then installation of the vent cover would be a piece of cake.  No drilling.

SCRATCH THAT. I just pulled the installation manual from a model 1400 Dometic Fan-Tastic vent.  The plastic brackets (referred to as "molded pegs") are designed for the Dometic Ultra Breeze hood.  https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/products/climate/ventilation/vents/dometic-fan-tastic-vent-1400-_-186151
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    Ughhh...........that's what I was afraid of, @JEB .  I appreciate that you provided the Dometic web site link.  I had not previously been able to find anything confirming that the exterior base is manufactured by Dometic.  Now I know.

I just received the Aero-flo vent that I ordered from Amazon.  The metal L-backet is about 2" in length overall, 1 3/4" from the edge to where it bends upward.  I am really concerned that the plastic brackets on the Dometic base are going to block the Aero-flo brackets, assuming I will need them to connect the Aero-flo to the Dometic base.  I guess I am the first one to encounter this issue.  Always nice to be the guinea pig.    :s

Although using a cover specifically designed for use with the Fan-Tastic fan lid would be nice, particularly since it allows for opening the stock vent lid all the way up, I really do not like how the Dometic version looks over-sized on a T@B camper.  I suppose having those plastic brackets helps generate revenue for Dometic by forcing people to buy their after-market vent cover, but it sure limits the options for T@B owners.  There may be a work-around that will allow me to install the Aero-flo cover without a big hassle, but I won't know until I try to install it.  My camper is currently in storage and covered, plus I can't get to the install until sometime next week.  Therefore, I'm afraid you will all have to wait until then to see how all this plays out.  Thanks again for all the helpful input and moral support.  Greg.

• Options
    If it's any consolation, I ordered the Aero-Flo as well.  Then I did a little more research and went back and canceled the order in the nick of time. 

You could probably cut off the pins and install the Aero-Flo normally--maybe.  The Ultra Breeze is a ponderous, bulky, ugly thing.  I'd rather not be stuck with it.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    @JEB and @rajamar , I went online to see if there are any videos of someone making this particular installation with the plastic brackets.  Nothing found so far.  However, I found this photo, which having seen it makes me think it will all work out.  Maybe, rather than connecting the Aero-flo metal brackets to the Fan-Tastic fan housing (by drilling holes), I just need to bolt them to the outer side of the plastic brackets.  If so, it seems that will allow me to install the vertical carriage bolts that hold the Aero-flo vent in place.  (I agree with your Ultra Breeze comments, @JEB.)

CAM40421 - Vent Cover Camco Roof Vent

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Well, @JEB and @rajamar , the verdict is in...........the Aero-flo cover does NOT fit over the latest version of the Fan-Tastic vent base.  The primary problem is the design of the plastic bracket on the Fan-Tastic vent base.  Specifically, as depicted below, the angled portion of that bracket prevents the Aero-flo from completely seating over it.

Additionally, the Aero-flo mounting slots are both too small to fit over the plastic brackets and the width of the Aero-flo base is not wide enough to extend far enough to reach the brackets on the opposite side of the Fan-Tastic base.  As shown below, although one corner of the Aero-flo can be aligned with one plastic bracket (red arrow), it does not align with the other bracket on the same side (green arrow.)  Also, due to the insufficient width of the Aero-flo cover, the opposite side of the base butts up against the stock Fan-Tastic vent lid.  I am guessing that Dometic re-designed their base (by adding the plastic brackets) not only to easily attach their after-market cover, but to prevent/deter the attachment of competing covers.  However, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, Creed at nüCamp indicated that the plastic brackets will work with a MaxxAir cover.  I have not independently confirmed that.

I have returned the Aero-flo cover.  However, I am not completely disenchanted with this outcome.  Although it would definitely be nice to have the additional cover to keep out the rain while the vent is wide open, my wife and I really did not like the look of the Aero-flo on the roof of my camper.  It just seems too bulky and extends too high up on the roof.  Were it to be designed to fit the Fan-Tastic brackets, it would have to be wider, which would only exacerbate the bulky look.  Since the Fan-Tastic and MaxxAir (standard version) covers are even bulkier and taller, I am not interested in installing either of those.  Therefore, I will be sticking with the stock cover, which I think will be fine, even when it rains.  (Greg)

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Bayliss said:
    Well, @JEB and @rajamar , the verdict is in...........the Aero-flo cover does NOT fit over the latest version of the Fan-Tastic vent base.  . . .

. . . Since the Fan-Tastic and MaxxAir covers are even bulkier and taller, I am not interested in installing either of those.  Therefore, I will be sticking with the stock cover, which I think will be fine, even when it rains.  (Greg)
    Agree with your dislike of the other brand covers.  My wish list has a MaxxAir Fan with built-in pop-up rain cover.  Until I bite-the-bullet to purchase will make do with standard fan cover and variable speed control modification.

Maybe I should use the money saved on the DIY AC Vent cover for a new fan? =):o

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    @MuttonChops , I like the look of the MaxxAir fan.  Very sleek.

• Options
    Bayliss said:
    @MuttonChops , I took like the MaxxAir fan.  Very sleek.
    I had the MaxxAir fan with the integrated hood in a prior RV.  They are excellent.  Unfortunately, I can’t use it on my 400 because the hood extends too far aft of the fan opening and blocks part of the solar panel.
  • Options
    @Bayliss
    Considering the number of "moving parts" (dimension and position-wise) of getting it all to work out I am disappointed, but not surprised, that it wouldn't fit. We also don't really like the bulky aesthetics of the installed aero-flo, but have gotten used to seeing it up there.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    @rajamar , the Aero-flo I received seemed larger than I was anticipating, which I base on photos I had seen of it installed on other campers.  I did not measure the cover before returning it, but it is possible they have made it slightly larger than previous versions.  Regardless, for it to fit over the Fan-Tastic brackets on my camper, it would have to be even wider, which would really make it look over-sized.  Oh well, it is what it is...............

• Options
    b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    edited June 2019
    JEB said:
    Bayliss said:
    I had the MaxxAir fan with the integrated hood in a prior RV.  They are excellent.  Unfortunately, I can’t use it on my 400 because the hood extends too far aft of the fan opening and blocks part of the solar panel.
    Been following this thread as I'd also love to have a vent cover on our 400, and the 'big' ones are hideously boxy and high. I know this is a bit of a tangent, but has anyone evaluated how much the Maxxair shadow would affect the solar output? The new Sunflare panels are reportedly much better with the shadowing issue, so just wondering if perhaps the Maxxair fan is now an option for us 400+solar owners?
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
  • Options
    JEB said:
    Bayliss said:
    Been following this thread as I'd also love to have a vent cover on our 400, and the 'big' ones are hideously boxy and high. I know this is a bit of a tangent, but has anyone evaluated how much the Maxxair shadow would affect the solar output? The new Sunflare panels are reportedly much better with the shadowing issue, so just wondering if perhaps the Maxxair fan is now an option for us 400+solar owners?
    It isn't just shading.  It actually blocks part of the panel when closed.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I have edited the title of this thread so that it is easier to locate in the future.

I figured I should let others know my experience with installing the Dometic Ultra Breeze Cover over the stock FanTastic vent lid that has plastic mounting brackets.  After determining that ONLY an Ultra Breeze cover will work with the plastic mounting brackets (see earlier part of discussion in this thread), I had no choice but to order it.  What an ordeal that was!  Suffice it to say, despite positive comments by others to the contrary, I give Dometic a D- for customer service based on my experience.

I searched for the cover and thought that the Dometic Ultra Breeze model #U1500 would work, so I ordered it through Amazon.  When I received it, I discovered that it did not include the two mounting holes on each side for proper attachment to the mounting brackets.  I contacted Dometic.  After being on hold for a long period, I was informed that I needed model #U1400.  Initially, they were going to sell it to me, I believe for $44.00 + $25.00 shipping.  THEN, they told me they could not sell it to me, because it is "finished goods" and I can only get it through one of their local dealers.  My wife and I wanted black to match our white w/ black trim 320S camper, so I was advised that I would need #U1400BLS (black smoke.)  Searching online, the only retailer I could find that sells the U1400 is eTrailer, but only in gray smoke.  I called Dometic back to see if they would sell the black to me.  They refused.  Despite my multiple requests (by phone and E-mail), they would not allow me to speak to a supervisor.  I was hoping they would make an exception and sell it to me without going through a dealer.

I tried a local Dometic dealer (Cactus RV in Tucson, AZ.)  To keep a long story short, they would not order it directly from Dometic and said they had to go through their supplier.  The dealer had no clue what I was seeking, despite me giving them the specific model number, a photo, a full description, and even the dealer direct phone number for Dometic.  They assured me that they would get the right model cover, but it would cost $89.00.  However, when I went to pick it up a week later, I was presented with what appeared to be a used model #U1500BLS.  They only had the cover itself (scratched up, no installation instructions, no hardware, and no plastic mesh screen.)  I let the parts guy know what I thought about their practices and left empty-handed.

Next, I contacted another local Dometic dealer.  They too declined to order the vent direct from Dometic.  It appeared I was going to get a re-run of my first experience.  Sure enough, when I showed up a week later to pick it up, everything was there, but again, it was a scratched up model #U1500BLS.  Arghhhh!  Sensing my frustration, the dealer agreed to contact Dometic direct.  Fast forward another week and I got the correct cover.  Poorly packaged by Dometic, so it was scuffed up from bouncing around (without any protective packaging) in an over-sized box.  Regardless, I purchased it ($87.00.)

Bottom line is that if you want the Ultra Breeze model #U1400, you can get it in gray smoke (#U1400GRS) through eTrailer.com.  However, if you want black smoke (#U1400BLS) or white (#U1400WHS), you must go through a Dometic dealer.  BUT, if you want to avoid a three-week hunt like I went through, make sure you convince the dealer to order it directly from Dometic.  Otherwise, the dealer will likely just do a quick Google search, find the U1500 model, and order that.

Anyway, I got the cover installed and am very happy with it.  Looks great!  Installation was quick and easy.  Just line up the two mounting holes on each side and insert a 1/4" plastic drive rivet (included) through each of the four holes and into the mounting brackets.  Although not depicted in the photos below, you then push the head of the plastic rivet all the way in and the cover snugs up to the plastic mounting pegs.  I really like the ease of installation - - no drilling or attaching metal mounting brackets required.  The only downside is that it does not appear that you can remove the plastic drive rivets to clean inside or under the cover.  The U1500 version has metal brackets with cotter pins that can be pulled out for easy cleaning under the cover, BUT it does not work with a vent that has the plastic mounting brackets.

NOTE:  Dometic also manufactures a separate bug screen insert (available on Amazon) that slides in behind and attaches to the included plastic screen that covers the vent opening.  As seen in the third photo below, the plastic screen has large openings that will not keep insects out.  Therefore, I highly recommend that you purchase the bug screen if you decide to install the Ultra Breeze cover.

• Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 186
    edited January 2020
    Hmmmm , that is strange your factory fan was screwed to the roof in your 2019 . I thought that in 2016 (or so) they changed to a no screw vent fan (just sealed in place) in all units . 

I just changed out our pitiful factory fantastic fan in our 2019 320s  for a Maxxair . 
    Here is a picture of the 2019 no screw fan roof when I removed it ..........( was hard to remove !) 

2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    edited January 2020
    B0atguy said:
    Hmmmm , that is strange your factory fan was screwed to the roof in your 2019 . I thought that in 2016 (or so) they changed to a no screw vent fan (just sealed in place) in all units . 

I just changed out our pitiful factory fantastic fan in our 2019 320s  for a Maxxair . 
    Here is a picture of the 2019 no screw fan roof when I removed it ..........( was hard to remove !) 

B0atguy, did you have to drill to install the Maxxair? I have the "Clamp Fan" (no screws in outside mounting flange) Fantastic Fan and am wanting a cover to be able to vent in rain/wind. If I have to drill my roof  :s anyway, I might consider replacing the FF with the Maxxair.
    2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab