Options

Why does fan run constantly when on ac power?

The fan in my switch box near the floor (2019 320s) stays on when the Tab is connected to AC power. If the Alde is off I don't see anything that would be generating heat and need cooling. I want to have the shore power connected so I can leave a dehumidifier on. Why does this fan run?
Tab 320s Boondock
TV: Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    It will often run when it has to charge the tub battery.  Was the battery level below 12.5V before you went on shore power?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    SneakleSneakle Member Posts: 131
    Has been on shore power for days and battery reading says 13.5 v
    Tab 320s Boondock
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited March 2019
    Mine runs when first plugged in, while getting the battery up to full.

It will also run if I'm putting a large draw on the 12v system, like with the 3-way fridge.

But it shuts off once the 12v is no longer being used.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Just curious-what's the battery read after a couple of hours disconnected from shore power?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    @Sneakle, the 13.5v is actually reflecting the shore power charging the battery, not the battery itself. Do you know the reading of the battery before you plugged it in? Similarly, if you want to know what the battery is currently, you need to unplug from shore power as @jgram2 indicates and wait a couple hours then check the battery. 
    The fan you hear is from the converter.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    Did you forget to switch the fridge to ac from 12vdc?
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    Fridge is off, but i'll check unconnected battery after a few hours of cutoff.
    Tab 320s Boondock
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Mine almost always runs on shore power. It is part of the reason I enjoy dry camping, more.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    ChanW said:

It will also run if I'm putting a large draw on the 12v system, like with the 3-way fridge.

What ChanW describes has been my experience as well. I've never noted the converter fan to run for any length of time.
    What happens if you disconnect the battery while on shore power? Does the fan stop running then?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ScottG said:
    ChanW said:

What ChanW describes has been my experience as well. I've never noted the converter fan to run for any length of time.
    What happens if you disconnect the battery while on shore power? Does the fan stop running then?
    I have never done that and truthfully, if I am plugged into shore power I am usually drawing power in some capacity, which I presume is why the fan runs.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Could be. I would expect the fan to be triggered by high converter use in general (as opposed to just battery charging) though I'm not certain on this point.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I unplugged shore power, waited 3 or hours and tested battery to be 12.6 v. Whether the battery is turned off or on, the fan blows constant when connected to shore power and nothing else turned on. Maybe the inverter needs that cooling function?
    I guess I'll have to unplug the tab and run an extention cord thru a window to power the dehumidifier. Or maybe could remove a fuse to turn off the fan?
    Mike in GA
    Tab 320s Boondock
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    WFCO Fan is current controlled.  It should not be running all the time.
    If it is you have every possible DC load turned on or some type of a problem.
    Turn Off all DC loads except the Battery, still running ?
    Yes - - disconnect battery, still running ?
    No  - - check battery, water level, state of charge.
    Yes - - Remove DC fuses one by one.  Does fan stop?
    Yes - - That circuit has a current draw issue that is not blowing the fuse.

Also, check to see that the WFCO Fan vents are clear.  Dog hair for example is a known issue for reducing/stopping the fan from cooling correctly.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    1. Turn Off all DC loads except the Battery, still running ? >Yes
    2. disconnect battery, still running ? >Yes
    3. Remove DC fuses one by one.  Does fan stop? >Yes, either of bottom 2 fuses kills it.
    > That circuit has a current draw issue that is not blowing the fuse.<

This is basically a new 320s outback so no dog hair etc. Only been out a few nights. fridge off, Alde off, lights off during my testing.
    hmmmmm 

Tab 320s Boondock
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If you are the original owner, if the T@B was purchased new, then this is a warranty issue that the dealer should be helping you with. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    >If you are the original owner, if the T@B was purchased new, then this is a warranty issue that the dealer should be helping you with. <
     From past experience I don't have much faith in the dealer to know anything about the Tabs they sell. But it's under warranty so maybe NuCamp can help me. 
    Tab 320s Boondock
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The Dealer should be contacted first, and if they cannot fix it to your satisfaction, then nüCamp should be contacted, please. At least give the dealer a chance to make it right since they have been receiving additional training from nüCamp. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    Sneakle said:
    1. Turn Off all DC loads except the Battery, still running ? >Yes
    2. disconnect battery, still running ? >Yes
    3. Remove DC fuses one by one.  Does fan stop? >Yes, either of bottom 2 fuses kills it.
    > That circuit has a current draw issue that is not blowing the fuse.<

This is basically a new 320s outback so no dog hair etc. Only been out a few nights. fridge off, Alde off, lights off during my testing.
    hmmmmm 

In case your fuses are not labeled, as mine were not, Creed (tech@nucamprv.com) gave me this info for my 2018 320S:

Fuse 1. Fridge and fridge fan

Fuse 2. Radio and TV

Fuse 3. Interior lights, porch light and Alde

Fuse 4. 12-volt outlet and charging center

Fuse 5. Water pump, sea-level, LP detector, ceiling fan and AC fan

Fuse 6. Battery charger

Fuse 7. Reverse hook-up

Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Can someone with a CSS check to see if the fuses are labeled the same as the S that Debbie provided?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    And if they are labelled I would, um, trust but verify. I have both AC breakers and DC fuses mislabeled in my panel.
    However, I suspect it is pretty standard to have the lower two DC fuse slots dedicated to the battery charge circuit. Since under normal conditions the fan tends to run most when the battery is charging, it's not too surprising that the issue traces back to that circuit. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307

For my 2019 320 S, I believe that mine was wired as follows.  I can't be certain on the details because I have modified it since delivery.  If anyone can confirm the fuse sizes I will update my notes.

Fuse 1. (?? A) Interior lights, porch light and Alde

Fuse 2. (?? A) Radio and TV

Fuse 3. (?? A) 12-volt outlet and charging center

Fuse 4. (20 A) Fridge (There is no fridge fan on 2019)

Fuse 5. (?? A) Water pump, sea-level, LP detector, ceiling fan and AC fan

Fuse 6. (30 A) Battery charger

Fuse 7. (40 A) Reverse hook-up

T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    12.6V for a charged battery isn't great but isn't horrid.  Who votes for a bad charging circuit, vs. who votes for a questionable battery?  Would a cheap next step for diagnosis (if dealer isn't helpful) be to drop in a fresher / different fully charged deep cycle in the tub and see if goes away?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    I agree that I would expect a good fully charged battery to settle in a bit higher than 12.6V. However, the fan continuing to run even when the battery is disconnected--but not when the battery circuit fuses are pulled--makes me more suspicious of the converter than the battery itself.
    Another long shot possibility is that there is something else in the trailer chassis (the breakaway brakes come to mind) that is causing a sizeable load. Assuming the disconnect is at the battery, disconnecting the battery does not disconnect the converter from the junction box under the front of the trailer. If something like the breakaway brakes was still pulling a load at that junction box, it might cause the converter fan to operate continuously. I'm just guessing here, but it would be easy enough to investigate.
    So, here's what I'd try next...  Replace the battery circuit fuses, then locate and disconnect the battery line behind the converter. There's a spaghetti of wires back there, but a nickel says you are looking for a largish red wire that connects to the converter via a spade or bullet connector. Separate that connector and see what happens. If the fan keeps running I would continue to suspect the converter's internal circuitry. If the fan stops I would suspect something else in the trailer chassis is pulling a load at that junction box.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks so much for the ideas. The battery did get pulled WAY down to nothing a month or so ago. But when testing yesterday, I even disconnected the battery leads completely and the thing was still running. ( on shore power of course). Will implement your suggestions. 
    Tab 320s Boondock
  • Options
    GreatWhiteNorthGreatWhiteNorth Member Posts: 57
    I am curious, with shore power connected, and battery disconnected, does the converter still supply DC to the circuits, interior lights function, etc.?
    2004 Dutchmen T@B T2 (fiberglass!)
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @GreatWhiteNorth, yes.  All the lights and appliances (except AC) are wired as 12 v.  The converter both charges the battery as a separate function from stepping down power from 120 to 12 v.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @GreatWhiteNorth, yes.  All the lights and appliances (except AC) are wired as 12 v.  The converter both charges the battery as a separate function from stepping down power from 120 to 12 v.
    Thnx Sharon, that's what I thought.  The 12V output side of my converter is definitely toast then.  I'll buy a new one and replace it.

Daryl
  • Options
    @GreatWhiteNorth, before replacing anything make sure the converter is actually getting 120V AC power from the shore power connection. One of the AC breakers (in mine I recall it's the one controlling the cabin receptacles) also provides power to the AC to DC converter. It's a long shot, but make sure that circuit is not tripped, disconnected, or otherwise faulty.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    @GreatWhiteNorth, before replacing anything make sure the converter is actually getting 120V AC power from the shore power connection. One of the AC breakers (in mine I recall it's the one controlling the cabin receptacles) also provides power to the AC to DC converter. It's a long shot, but make sure that circuit is not tripped, disconnected, or otherwise faulty.

Thnx Scott.  I actually cycled the circuit breakers already, no change.  What I'm seeing, is on shore power, without the 12V battery connected I've no interior lights.  When I bought the trailer, brought it home and plugged it in, battery connected, the furnace fan ran continually, so I pull that fuse.  I read thru the furnace portion of the instruction manual, discovered the furnace switched on at the thermostat.  The converter distributes AC & DC power fine tho.   I'll order a new one.

Daryl  
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Here's maybe some good info to share...

Yesterday I ordered this converter for our 2004 T@B:

http://www.bestconverter.com/WFCO-8725P-Power-Center_p_50.html#.XH_0IlRKhdj

This is the converter recommended in Richard Lewis's great e-book 

101 Questions About T@b, T@da and T@g Camping Trailers

Today I got a call from Richard at Best Converter - he recommended instead this Made In USA converter, which he said is much better quality.  I said yes of course.

http://www.bestconverter.com/4135_c_226.html