Outback or 320 Problem Areas

We're back in search of our "perfect" T@B.  All things(brands), cars, boats, trailer, etc have their inherent problem areas.  I've searched the forum but, I'm wondering what bad areas T@Bs are known for.  In our search we've  identified a couple.  One area is mold/rot at the base of the couches where the venting holes are.  Also found so many people stick or attached things to the walls.  All these areas looked bad without whatever was removed from here.  Some models had problems venting behind refrigerator.
What other areas should we look for?  Thanks.
2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
Odessa, Fl.  

Comments

• ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    Really, any of the newer models aren’t going to have these water problems, certainly the chances on an Outback or Boondock are pretty slim. Are you looking at a CS clam shell kitchen? They may have some fridge vent issues but not the S/U indoor kitchen. As far as the walls, I have seen people successfully use Command Strips with no issue. 

I don’t know what to tell you. There is no such thing in life as perfect but if you are looking for a product that holds it value and a company with incredible craftsmanship and customer service, nüCamp is for you. There seem to be so few problems reported and anything reported gets handled immediately and well.

2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    NuCamp runs a model year unit out each May, I believe, and another run later in the model year which sometimes includes changes. When you generalize problems you aren’t specifying model years. As an example, Models before my 2017 320S had the Norcold fridge with cooling fins on the left and the cabinet under the fridge had air ventilation for the fridge. That sometimes resulted in water coming up if driving in heavy rain. My model year has a better Norcold configuration without that venting. Early and late runs in each year can have significant differences between them. The walls of a Tab are very different than most as they are made using Azdel. Many people don’t understand or ask about the materials used to make a trailer that can bounce around on the road yet stay in one piece.

All that aside, NuCamp is committed to a high quality product and outstanding customer service! If you have a unit with a problem they will go the extra mile to make it right. I’m still beyond happy with my Tab after two years, as are many others. Good luck in your search!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • SneakleSneakle Member Posts: 131
    Just look everything over really well. We bought a new 2018  outback recently and I didn't look behind the back cushion where I later found water stains on the wood in the furtherest back corner. Had the dealer send it back to NuCamp and they repaired it under warranty. 
    Tab 320s Boondock
    TV: Toyota 4Runner
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited March 2019
    @GatorEgg, T@Bs have proven to be pretty reliable campers, but here are a few recurrent issues (some already mentioned) you might want to be aware of as you are looking around, though none of these would necessarily be a deal breaker. I've included links to relevant forum discussions.
    Propane hose damage. This was an official nuCamp recall. In some models with the older Norcold 3-way fridge, improper retention of the propane hoses leading to the stove and the fridge resulted in the hoses possibly chafing on the fridge's cooling fins. Inspection and repair is pretty easy, and many owners did it themselves.
    Fire extinguishers. Certain model fire extinguishers were recalled and replaced by Kidde, the fire extinguisher manufacturer.
    Wheel well and front window seals. nuCamp advises owners to inspect caulking in these areas and repair if necessary. Lack of maintenance can result in water infiltration in those areas.
    Frame cracks. This sounds more ominous than it is. Some 2015 model year T@Bs had small cracks around a particular frame bolt. This may stem from a small batch of mildly defective frame components. The frame manufacturer claims structural integrity is not compromised, but some owners took steps to repair the damage, including replacement by nuCamp. nuCamp has assisted some owners with repairs, but to the best of my knowledge has not stated an official policy on the matter.
    Trim cracks (also search "trim cracks" as there are several discussions). Cracks--probably temperature related--have appeared in the decorative trim around the edge of the non-CS T@Bs. The damage can be unattractive, but is purely cosmetic. Replacement trim pieces are available but pricey, particularly when shipping is factored in. The issue appears to stem from a design defect that nuCamp claims to be addressing going forward. Given this, replacement of the trim is no guarantee the problem won't reoccur.
    2015 T@B S
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Now that people have identified areas that were previously issues of concern it's important to also focus on the positives of these trailers as well.  The early Dutchman era trailers are still out there and still in use.  And inasmuch as some issues followed the T@B's after the Amish acquired patent rights to the trailer, they have also evolved, improved upon and continue to tweak and improve the trailer in real time.

As others have noted this trailer holds its value better than the majority of other competitors out there today.  The composite materials and structural design, Alde heating system, technology and other components are what made the trailer attractive for me, as are the companies commitment to customer service and seei g them go the extra mile to ensure that people were completely happy.  If you look at the interior of these trailers, note the seam tolerances too as they are tight and they now are cut robotically and this eliminates gaps, corner trim pieces, etc.  

If you are ever in Sugarcreek stop by the factory and see for yourself.  A very warm, friendly, energetic group of people who take pride in their products and who place the customer ahead of themselves.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    If buying used then T@B year of production, owner care, and owner usage will suggest possible areas of risk/concern.  Like all used purchases you need to complete a good inspection and decide the value / risk for yourself.
    If buying new, two issues are:
    -1- Do you trust your dealer and are they T@B knowledgeable?
    -2- You'll love the T@B so much getting enough adventuring time will be your only problem. ;)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited March 2019
    It's a great idea to list potential problems to keep an eye out for, or to look for when purchasing used. 

I think the shortness of the list is a good sign, and highlights the Tab's quality. Also keep in mind the responsiveness of Nucamp at correcting these problems.

And, as others have said, be sure to note what model year each of these problems is associated with.

The floor mold/rot that you're referring to were the older Tab, pre-LittleGuy.

The fridge venting problem, with ensuing overheated counter top, was also from a previous iteration that used the 3way fridge, which NuCamp is not using in their latest models.

One thing that we hear about, repeatedly, but still only now and then, is the glycol reservoir outlet developing a crack and leaking glycol out. I don't know if that has been solved, or if it was a specific period model run, which has now been fixed.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    I think the glycol reservoir outlet break offs are occuring in recent models.  I don’t think it is year specific.   Not syre if is i
    exclusively in the S models or also the CS models.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @MuttonChops that is exactly it,   do you trust your dealer?

Maybe I have trust issues,  but the dealers I have interacted with don't inspire it. 

Honestly,  I would be happy ordering factory direct on a website with a check list of options like scamp

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    Thanks all, for responses.  We're out hot shopping and ready to get traveling.  Always a day or two late from being the first buyer.  Most private owner "for sale" pricing is just ridiculous.  Just missed two Outbacks  within a state or so driving distance at reasonable prices.  Just got to keep an eye peeled.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    @GatorEgg, where are you located?
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.