T@B Acceptable Mid-Size SUV Tow Vehicle

13»

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited November 2020
    Comparing a Jeep JKU Rubi to a larger diesel SUV or mid size truck is an apples/oranges comparison.  Yes the diesel will have better torque performance and quicker initial acceleration, along will more MPG.  It will also accelerate up and pull hills better.   That said, the required diesel fuel needed for the new turbo diesels is more expensive in many areas than standard fuel.  It is where I live, currently running around $3.25-3.50 a gallon.  Regular gas is $3.00 a gallon.

My Jeep JT with the V6 and 8-speed auto tans. gets 20 mpg towing our TaB400 on highways at 55-60mph.  Acceleration is acceptable, and gets up to highway speed fast enough.  So not all gas TVs will get poor performance.  Depends on the rig and driving conditions.  Glad you found a TV you are happy with.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @Denny16 I found 2. The first was a Jeep Grand Cherokee with Ethel ecodiesel (Jeep comparable) and my current Colorado, also Jeep comparable. FYI 
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    edited November 2020
    Both have longer wheelbase than the JKU, and better towing specifications, so whilst comparable size wise, the Grand Cherokee and Colorado are two different types of vehicles, with different specifications and use.  The GC comes closer to a JKU, in that it is a 4-wheel drive Jeep that can go most places a JKU, but not all.  The Rubi can go more off road and get to areas the tiger two would get stuck in.  All are nice vehicles, just different, with different purposes.
    cheers
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @4ncar @Denny16 Yup, I'm hoping to find a diesel Gladiator Sport S at my closest Jeep dealer come January with a few options I'd like.  There's several that are close to a match on lots within 50 miles already.

But the gas versus diesel for towing debate is a very popular topic on the jeep gladiator forum. Some folks who spend a lot of time in the mountains on 10-13% grades at 6000-10000 feet complain that the gas engine really winds itself to high RPMs at speeds over 40mph, and it makes them nervous. And the natural aspirated engine loses a lot of power at the higher altitudes. Score 2 points for the diesel.

But the counterpoints from the petrol crowd is the much higher maintenance cost for the diesel, the history of failures with diesel power train emissions equipment, only moderately higher MPG for the diesel, lower payload and towing capacity, and with a $4000-6000 up charge it will never pay for itself.  Score several for the gas model. But the diesel does have loads more torque, and while marginal, will have fewer emissions (CO2, VOCs).

So it's a tough decision, at least for that particular mid-sized truck.  I may have to flip a coin come January.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

Yes, it is a close race.  The Penstar V6 needs to be wound up to 3500-4000 RPM where it develops its max torque, so higher RPS are need on good size grades when towing a heavy load.  For me, the gas model works well for my needs.  Good luck with your decision making.  Try taking both for a test drive.
    cheers
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    For a diesel in almost any vehicle, the payback probably isn't until way north of 100k miles and most trade at or before that. I have a 2001 Dodge with diesel and it is at 315k, every month with no payments or repairs is a good one. I probably spend on average $2k on maintenance a year, so it doesn't owe me much when new ones are going to cost close to 4x that in annual payments not to mention they need maintenance too.

I like the diesel for the low end TQ, generally lower fuel how I buy it and with my older one the lower exhaust temps compared to gas or even new diesels with a DPF, when I go onto ranches I quite often get asked if I have a diesel and year. New diesels as well as gas rigs have been known to start range fires. Typically idling across a dirt road, my temps on exhaust system are under 400f, as long as I don't park on top of a pile of tender, very little chance of starting a fire I have to pay for.

As far as maintenance, it holds more oil, but otherwise about same costs as a gas rig.

If I was buying new, I might be inclined to go with a gasser due to all the new EPA equipment on new ones and the initial cost delta. The MPG is getting pretty darn good on gasser pickups from all the brands vs diesel. I would miss the low end grunt though, especially towing.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    edited November 2020
    @N7SHG_Ham: I wish I had my ‘05   6bt dodge. No real use for it now, and it was included in the sale of my company, and I sold my race cars & box trailers.  

I got almost 200,000 miles on my ecodiesel grand Cherokee. The greatest expense(s) I had with it unique to a modern def diesel were sensor failures, and there are a lot of them, and some were xx absolute [terrible] to get at & out.  

Thus far with  the Colorado diesel at 52,000...it has been worry free, other then the GM 6/8 speed trans issues, but I am 10,000 miles into a rebuild without issue.

Torque is everything, lowend torque is everything & more. THAT is what makes a diesel atowing beast. Torque gets you to speed, horsepower keeps you there.

for what the gladiator diesel will sell for, I would have a hard time swallowing that pill, for sure.  I paid 28,000.00 for my ‘08 JKU Rubi (new) AND 4 years later it was totaled, insurance paid me 26,000.00, and I bought another ‘09 JKU Rubi for 24.  Now...65-80,000.... JKU Rubi or gladiator... I’d buy a cummins first(again) lol.
    2018 320S Outback
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @4ncar spot on and why I like an inline diesel. IMO GM has the best small diesel options with both the four and six cyl in lines. I am a little disappointed in the six cylinder in the 1500's, due to that belt driven oil pump that is a service item and requires dropping the transmission to do so...

What I would like to see is a baby inline Cummins in the 1500 Rams, but probably dreaming?

The old 2nd gen Rams are really holding value, I have seen a few advertised at mid $20k range for vehicles that are now 20 years old. I think new I paid around $32k in 2000, so you know anything around $20k is getting your money's worth :)
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    @N7SHG_Ham:the fellow who bought my company was aghast at my valuation for the dodge cummins. ‘05 with 72000 on the clock. I had valued it at 18,000.00 3 years ago. He tried to say, it was just a plain old pickup. I told him he didn’t know what he was talking about. I heard from one of my former employees he sold it to Carmax for 22,000.00 a year later. I should have kept it🤬

i toyed the idea of dropping a 4Bt in my JKU Rubi. I opted against it as I knew my SO would not appreciate the snap, bang, whiz it would make as much as I would! Not to mention the black cloud it would belch when I threw in the coal! Lol
    2018 320S Outback
  • Cheryl13Cheryl13 Member Posts: 30
    Look at the Subaru Ascent. We recently bought the TAb400.  I had an older Honda Pilot and we brought our trailer home with it, but recognized we would need a new vehicle.  The front wheel drive Pilot was just not powerful enough.  I considered a newer AWD Pilot, but had been hoping to buy a Forrester Subaru.  The Forrester was not enough for the 400, so I looked at the Subaru Ascent. Wow, it really is the ticket. AWD and plenty of power and pickup for the TAb! We just got back from a cross country trip to LA and back, and the Subaru Ascent handled beautifully.  It is rated size wise with the Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander as a mid size SUV. Handles great and is easy.  I really did not want a bigger SUV and definitely not a pickup. Am very very happy with Subaru
    2021 T@B 400
    2019 Subaru Ascent