Ideas how to cover TAB toilet vent and black A/C vent

jennylynnjennylynn Member Posts: 5
What have people used to cover the TAB small toilet vent on the driver's side and the black A/C vent on the roof?  I can't get anything to stay on the side toilet vent as it points downward and there is nothing on the top to attach a spring or anything else to.  And, I have no idea how to cover the black tank roof vent.  I will be dry camping this year and don't want any critters or insects to move in.  Thank you.

(Edited to change wording to refer to black A/C vent on roof—Verna, T@B Admin)

Comments

• BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited April 2019
    Some stiff screen material can work.  See mine here..
    http://tabforum.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/comment/112738
    The black vent pipe on our roof is a fresh air intake for the A/C unit, and it came with screening covering the pipe, but you have to remove the cap to see it.  I also covered our frig vents in the above link and the Alde vent using @ChanW's suggestion..
    http://tabforum.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/comment/107913

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    The driver side vent is for both gray and black tanks.  Yes, the roof vent is to draw air into the air conditioner as Brian noted.  

At some point I need to cover those outlets, too - after it warms up!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I'm pretty sure my A/C vent already has some sort of screening to keep out critters.
    2015 T@B S
  • jennylynnjennylynn Member Posts: 5
    All of your suggestions are WONDERFUL !  I especially appreciate pictures of what you have done.  Thank you
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Unless you never plan to use the tanks, I would just put a small piece of duct tape over the vent when dry camping. 
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

The vent is there both to let sewer gases escape and to allow proper draining of fixtures.
    I don't recommend covering or blocking your drain vents unless you don't plan to use your gray and black tanks.
    Is it possible we are interpreting the term "dry camping" differently?

2015 T@B S
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Agree, Scott.  I've always thought the terms "dry camping" & "boondocking" just refer to the lack of hookups at the campsite, not that you don't have fresh water in your tank or are not using it or the waste tanks.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    Yes, that's my understanding of the terms as well. Purists may debate the difference between the two, but in either case I would expect that you would still be using--and in fact even depending upon--your holding tanks.
    2015 T@B S
  • jennylynnjennylynn Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for all your input.  I will be glad when I learn more about RVing.  I have so much to learn that I am just not going to use any of the tanks until I figure out other things first.  Hence my use of the word "dry" camping. 
    Ahhh. Well, if you are not actually dry camping, that you can probably get away without using your tanks.  :-)
    Seriously, though, there's not much to using the tanks, as gravity does most of the work getting things in and out. As a former tent camper, I can tell you that--along having a nice bed--those tanks are the top reason to own a camper! 
    2015 T@B S
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    The easiest way to get over your tank and dump fears (and yes, you’re not alone in this!) is to use them. Easiest way to do this is to run water through your lines into both tanks. Run the shower and sink, flush the toilet multiple times. Then put on your disposable gloves, attach your hose and dump the water, black tank first, then grey. Because it’s just water you can dump it onto your lawn. Do it again if you want. Then practice rinsing out the dump hose with a garden hose. It’s nice to know how do this without splash back in your face! Easy peasy! Having indoor plumbing is really nice!  You can do it!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    The easiest way to get over your tank and dump fears (and yes, you’re not alone in this!) is to use them. Easiest way to do this is to run water through your lines into both tanks. Run the shower and sink, flush the toilet multiple times. Then put on your disposable gloves, attach your hose and dump the water, black tank first, then grey. Because it’s just water you can dump it onto your lawn. Do it again if you want. Then practice rinsing out the dump hose with a garden hose. It’s nice to know how do this without splash back in your face! Easy peasy! Having indoor plumbing is really nice!  You can do it!
    Why does this exercise remind me of the movie “vacation?” Lol. I’d also like to see the look on the neighbors face when the see some one dumping the black tanks onto the lawn, albeit water! 😂😂😂
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback