Options

Tab 320 Tire changing equipment & procedure

prnjer4uprnjer4u Member Posts: 6
We are new to campers, have a 2018 Tab320, & cannot find any equipment provided for changing tires, NOR any mention of the topic in the manual.  Help, please!
Jerry & Deborah Blad
Jerry & Deborah's  2018 T@b320, from Thomson, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    Follow the link to the discussion regarding nuCamp’s recommendations.  In the past, the lug nuts that held the spare under the TaB were a different size than the lug nuts on the TaB, so please confirm.  A bottle jack for the road is a good thing to have.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6724/lug-nut-size

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8314/jacking-points-on-tab-320-s/p1
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    My 2018 T@b 320 has the spare mounted vertically on the Drivers-Side of the Hitch A-Frame.  No sign of any type of jack anywhere, nor any mention in MY manual of what to do in case of Flat.  I have a 2017 Cherokee pulling it.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    I think I read that the manual no longer has instructions for changing a flat.  Check out the links.  Nice that you won’t need to retrieve the spare from under the TaB.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    @prnjer4u, to answer your first question the T@B does not come with any tools for changing a tire. Also, as others have implied, the "offical" instructions for lifting trailer to fix a flat have been revised over time.
    It's not hard, but you would be well advised to collect the needed tools and confirm that you can do this in your yard before hitting the road. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG:  Thank-you.  We are preparing our 2nd long trip, from NW Illinois to the Lousiana Gulf, & want to be prepared as much as possible before departing.
  • Options
    pthomas745,
    We are first-time trailer owners, & first time here on this blog, after spending hours of research on our own.  We bought our T@b320 new in Madison Wisconsin, a 3 hour drive from where we live, were idealistic in thinking that after "Dealer-Prep", orientation & nucamp manual pkt with Flash Drive, would supply us with all the information needed, & read-to-go.  So we were told ...
  • Options
    Fortunately, you don't need all that much, but make sure you have a suitable wrench for the trailer lug nets, as well as one to get the spare off wherever it is mounted. One wrench may not be suitable for both applications.
    The scissors jack provided with most automobiles could work for raising the T@B wheel off the ground, so you might not need a separate jack. In a pinch, you could (carefully) unhook the trailer and raise it using the rear stabilizers and tongue jack. While this is no longer the officially approved method, I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a for the 320 (though maybe not the heavier 400).
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Scott,  Thanks. I had also called the Manufacturer, & was referred to, "Creed", who also recommended getting a Torque Wrench to keep Lug Nuts tightened to 95#, but forgot to ask his opinion on the Jack situation.  I am pulling with a '17 Cherokee Lattitude, which still get supplied with the old-fashioned Full-Sized Spare & Scissor jack, whose base is bigger than a Bottle Jack.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    A torque wrench can't hurt, but I like to travel as light as possible and I've never carried one just in case I had to change a tire. Torque wrenches mostly protect against over-tightening but it's pretty unlikely you are going to break a wheel lug by hand by over doing it a bit. Just make sure your nuts are tight and you'll be good to go.
    I have a feeling most bottle jacks will be too tall to get under the axle mount of the T@B. I confess I've never actually tried my truck's scissors jack on the T@B, but it's pretty low profile and I'll bet a nickel it would work!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    I recently used the stabilizer and tongue jack method when putting on new (Goodyear) tires.  It worked well and the tire tech was amazed.  I carry a torque wrench in its case to use for removing and replacing lug nuts.  Never have had a flat but I like knowing the wrench is there.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I recently used the stabilizer and tongue jack method when putting on new (Goodyear) tires.  It worked well and the tire tech was amazed.  I carry a torque wrench in its case to use for removing and replacing lug nuts.  Never have had a flat but I like knowing the wrench is there.
    X2 
    This method is much more stable than placing a single jack under the rather narrow frame behind the wheel. No need to get down on your hands and knees.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    I'm not sure if it's your intent to do so, but I wouldn't use a torque wrench to remove a lug nut, as I'd be concerned the force required to break the nut loose would damage the wrench. Carry a T or breaker bar to get the nuts off and keep the torque wrench for the final snug-up.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    ScottG said:
    I'm not sure if it's your intent to do so, but I wouldn't use a torque wrench to remove a lug nut, as I'd be concerned the force required to break the nut loose would damage the wrench. Carry a T or breaker bar to get the nuts off and keep the torque wrench for the final snug-up.
    X2
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Everybody, thnx for the feedback.  Yesterday, I got a an adjustable 1/2" drive adjustable Torque wrench, a 3/4" socket to fit it, & a 2-Ton Bottle Hydraulic Jack.  I agree that a Torque wrench should not be used to loosen.  I have an ole fashion cross-shaped Lug Wrench.
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    prnjer4u said:
    pthomas745,
    We are first-time trailer owners, & first time here on this blog, after spending hours of research on our own.  We bought our T@b320 new in Madison Wisconsin, a 3 hour drive from where we live, were idealistic in thinking that after "Dealer-Prep", orientation & nucamp manual pkt with Flash Drive, would supply us with all the information needed, & read-to-go.  So we were told ...
    We bought our camper there too.  I found that there is much to learn, collect and print out ahead of you.  Much info here..
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI