Lug-nut size

I have a Tab 320S Outback 2018, anybody know what socket size the lug-nuts are so I can be prepared to change a tire if needed?

Comments

• rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Lug nuts are ½” x 20 and take ¾” socket
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited March 25
    @George101, be sure to read this link for a tool to use plus the socket size for your spare tire lug nuts: 

Note: check your spare tire lug but before assuming the correct size, please. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • George101George101 Member Posts: 48
    @Verna- Thank you! I will read that discussion.
  • rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    13/16” nuts if you have the spare mounted on the underneath carrier. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
    edited April 2018
    2014 uses 11/16” for spare tire lugs
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    @Verna
    we have a 2015 with 13/16” spare lug nuts.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Thanks @Dalehelman. I changed my post. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I changed ALL mine to 3/4". Changing a tire on the trailer will NEVER happen in a convenient place. :s I'd much rather have to go buy two lugs nuts and change them to make them all the same size than find out I needed a socket, or wrench that I didn't have with me! :o:s I did mine when I moved the spare from underneath to the front jack post. ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• George101George101 Member Posts: 48
    ericnliz said:
    I changed ALL mine to 3/4". Changing a tire on the trailer will NEVER happen in a convenient place. :s I'd much rather have to go buy two lugs nuts and change them to make them all the same size than find out I needed a socket, or wrench that I didn't have with me! :o:s I did mine when I moved the spare from underneath to the front jack post. ;)
    Great Idea!
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Ratkity, Glad I wasn't drinkin', or eatin' when I read that! However....My sentiments, PRECISELY! ;):rofl:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    ericnliz said:
    @Ratkity, Glad I wasn't drinkin', or eatin' when I read that! However....My sentiments, PRECISELY! ;):rofl:
    Darn! I was trying my hardest too!! :rofl:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    Just posting for those with 2019's and want it verified.  My Lug nuts are 3/4" and the spare mounting nuts are 13/16".  funny that the dealer never mentioned this.  oh Amazon....
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • NinabeanNinabean Member Posts: 68
    @moorey000 are you talking about all models of 2019 .  I have a Tab400 and want to get some locking lug nuts.  Would the 3/4” work?
    2019 T@b 400 “Hazel”   Towed with a 2013 Ford F-150 STX  4X4 SuperCab 5.0L
    table mod
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    Ninabean said:
    @moorey000 are you talking about all models of 2019 .  I have a Tab400 and want to get some locking lug nuts.  Would the 3/4” work?
    My model info is in my sig file.  So- I can only verify it for a '19 320S Outback
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Ninabean the 3/4" is the socket size, but the lugs are probably 1/2" x 20 threads per inch, haven't pulled one off to see, but common trailer size.. There isn't a lot of clearance on at least the Boondock 400 wheels for an actual bigger nut than 3/4". I put aftermarket lugs on a Wells Cargo I have and they are bigger than 3/4" nut size, but have what is suspect is same size studs as the Tab, so external nut size can vary with same internal threads. You may have to buy based on stud thread size and see if they actually work with the Tab wheels.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
    I have a hurt shoulder and shouldn't be taking lug nuts off until it heals but I would like to order locking lug nuts for an upcoming trip. I've got the thread count and hex nut size for our 2021 400 Boondock but I need to know what type of seat the lug nuts have, round or conical. May I have some help?
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 424
    I would like to order locking lug nuts for an upcoming trip. 
    You will hear many different opinions about using these. Some are in favor, many (and most mechanics) are not. 
    Locking lugs will eventually fail. Someone will strip the special key or worse, you will lose the key or your mechanic will forget to give it back to you. When these strip or if you lose the key you will be unable to service/remove your wheel. The fix for a damaged locking lug (or lost key) is to try and hammer a smaller sized socked over the lug and then pray that you can turn it off. If that fails the next options are drilling the lug or cutting the stud off. None of these are side of the road repairs. If you are worried about someone stealing your wheels, consider using a wheel lock. If I ever purchase a vehicle with locking lugs one of the first things I do is remove them and replace them with standard lugs. I've had some pretty nice wheel sets over the years and I have yet to have a wheel stolen. In the current state of things there's a better chance of the cat's getting cut off of your TV than an RV wheel getting stolen.
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    I agree with @tabiphile.  Locking lug nuts seem to me to be a greater problem than a stolen wheel.  However, I also think the decorative lug nuts supplied on our TABs are also a problem.  The "decorative" part is just a thin piece of metal covering the actual lug nut--and if you strip or otherwise damage that cover the lug nut is tough to remove.  I intend to replace mine with solid, non-decorative lug nuts as soon as I get a round toit.  I should have done it several thousand miles ago but there always seems to be something else to do first.  My brother says I have "butt first syndrome."  I'm gonna do that, but first I have to do this.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    The nüCamp TaBs use Dexter axles and wheels.  The wheels have a conical seat for the lug nut, not flat.  They also have a silver or gray anti-seize compound on them.  Lug nuts are torqued to 95/100 Ft Lbs, and do not come off easily.  This alone should be somewhat of a theft deterrent, and the trailer wheels/tires are not that expensive or unique to attract a thief in the first place.
    Adding locking lug nuts is a solution to a non existent low probability problem...  ;)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I’ve had locking lugs on my vehicles. Never had a problem. Yes, you have to remember to get the key back from your mechanic. I’m putting them on our 400 along with a wheel lock so a thief can’t just swap the wheel out and take off with the trailer. Just another layer of deterrence for a thief. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
    The main reason I was considering locking lug nuts was to have the Trimax Wheel Lock on a wheel and a thief not have the easy ability to take off the wheel put on the spare and roll away with the whole camper. I already have the heavy duty Proven Industries coupler lock which a thief would need a heavy duty grinder making a lot of noise and taking some time to defeat. I'm hoping that besides being thieves the creeps are somewhat lazy.
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    I’ve had locking lugs on my vehicles. Never had a problem. Yes, you have to remember to get the key back from your mechanic. I’m putting them on our 400 along with a wheel lock so a thief can’t just swap the wheel out and take off with the trailer. Just another layer of deterrence for a thief. 
    The main reason I was considering locking lug nuts was to have the Trimax Wheel Lock on a wheel and a thief not have the easy ability to take off the wheel put on the spare and roll away with the whole camper. I already have the heavy duty Proven Industries coupler lock which a thief would need a heavy duty grinder making a lot of noise and taking some time to defeat. I'm hoping that besides being thieves the creeps are somewhat lazy.
    That’s the reason for the keyed lug nuts.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    You do not need to remove the wheel to defeat the Trimax TCL75 wheel lock, it is easy to break off, or the trailer can be pulled forward and the lock will break,off when it is rolled over.  I saw a video demo of this.  I have this lock, and use it, but the Proven Ind. lock is your best main defense, as it also locks up the chains.
    The Trimax TWL100 features a disk thst covers the lug nuts, and is more like a wheel clamp/boot lock used by parking enforcement to Boot a vehicle.  This is a heavier wheel lock and is better than the smaller Trimax lock and locking lug nuts.  See http://www.boattrailerparts.com/assets/images/1WatermarkedPhotos/Locks/TWL100-Front-BTP.JPG
    cheers
    Denny16 said:
    The nüCamp TaBs use Dexter axles and wheels.  The wheels have a conical seat for the lug nut, not flat.  They also have a silver or gray anti-seize compound on them.  Lug nuts are torqued to 95/100 Ft Lbs, and do not come off easily.  This alone should be somewhat of a theft deterrent, and the trailer wheels/tires are not that expensive or unique to attract a thief in the first place.
    Adding locking lug nuts is a solution to a non existent low probability problem...  ;)
    cheers
    Thanks, that "conical seat" was exactly the information I was looking for. It saves me from removing a lug with my hurt shoulder which is slowly on the mend. I appreciate it.
    No worries, hope your shoulder heals quickly...
    cheers